Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Penalty Rules Change Proposal

Senior Member Bantam Division

My Penalty Rules Change Proposal

I was watching one of the BOS games last week and they had the puck low, behind the TBL net...with a delayed penalty coming to TBL. When TBL touched the puck, the whistle blew and ended play. Then, both teams changed on-ice personnel and the puck was dropped to resume play.

My change would mandate that the team taking the penalty doesn't get the benefit of a line change. When play resumes, the penalized group of players remain on the ice until they can get off whether that be from a live-action change or when the whistle stops play once again.

I think this small change would give the penalty-advantaged team just a bit more advantage especially when a mere 'touching the puck' by the penalized team might have taken away a key scoring opportunity.

What do you think?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Not sure this improves the game.

With icing, the ban on line changes was implemented as a deterrent. With penalties, being a man down is already that.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    How about the new USA Hockey rule they put in last season for Bantams and below?? NO icing while short handed.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How about the new USA Hockey rule they put in last season for Bantams and below?? NO icing while short handed.
    Wow !!!! That is a huge change and I like it

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Wow !!!! That is a huge change and I like it

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    It teaches players good positioning, where to go, where to be, and how to move the puck in tight spaces without playing knock hockey. I don’t like it at upper levels though.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

//reported Junior Division
    It teaches players good positioning, where to go, where to be, and how to move the puck in tight spaces without playing knock hockey. I don’t like it at upper levels though.
    I’ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.
    How’s it working so far?
    More PP goals?
    LGR!

Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    I’ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.
    How’s it working so far?
    More PP goals?
    Idk, I coach Midgets. Haven’t seen enough games to give an honest take.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;927787]I’ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.
    How’s it working so far?
    More PP goals?
    Eh, maybe at beginning of season.
    PP for players under age 15 isn’t all that impressive.

The thought process wasn’t about scoring more PP goals, but encouraging more creative play on the PK side

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    How’s it working so far?
    More PP goals?
    You'd probably have more PP goals, but I feel like it would just result in PPs being unwatchable with all the stoppages.

Junior Member Mite Division andysly5's Avatar
    My son is a peewee so we dealt with this rule change last season. It made a huge difference to the flow of the game. The PK team was forced to make plays in the d zone rather than just throw it down the ice. It led to some turnovers that increased scoring chances. As a goalie dad this rule increased my blood pressure exponentially.

Obviously it would be a different effect in the NHL than for a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I see it as being similar to the 6 on 5 situations we see at the end of a 1 goal game. The defensive team definitely feels the heat in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by andysly5 View Post
    My son is a peewee so we dealt with this rule change last season. It made a huge difference to the flow of the game. The PK team was forced to make plays in the d zone rather than just throw it down the ice. It led to some turnovers that increased scoring chances. As a goalie dad this rule increased my blood pressure exponentially.

Obviously it would be a different effect in the NHL than for a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I see it as being similar to the 6 on 5 situations we see at the end of a 1 goal game. The defensive team definitely feels the heat in those situations.
    Who does he play for ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Eh, maybe at beginning of season.
    PP for players under age 15 isn’t all that impressive.

The thought process wasn’t about scoring more PP goals, but encouraging more creative play on the PK side

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Exactly. You need 5 smart and skilled kids out there for a successful pp at that age. So many mistakes are made at that age. Usually it’s too much stick handling.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    You'd probably have more PP goals, but I feel like it would just result in PPs being unwatchable with all the stoppages.
    Well the idea is not to ice it. No one wants a draw in their own end, let alone 4 or more in 2 minutes.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

My suggested rule change: no technology on the bench. No tablets, no communication with the booth, no checking replays prior to coachs challenges, no ear pieces.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Not sure this improves the game.

With icing, the ban on line changes was implemented as a deterrent. With penalties, being a man down is already that.
    I thought that the slight extra ‘fatigue factor’ might come into play and increase the likelihood of a PP goal. That’s the idea of a penalty right? Giving the advantage?

So my change might make that ‘goal’ come just a bit sooner and the game can get back to normal quicker.

Does that explanation help?

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    I thought that the slight extra ‘fatigue factor’ might come into play and increase the likelihood of a PP goal. That’s the idea of a penalty right? Giving the advantage?

So my change might make that ‘goal’ come just a bit sooner and the game can get back to normal quicker.

Does that explanation help?
    I understand, i just dont think tired, fatigued, sloppy hockey makes the game better.

Personally, im not worried about the score. I want constant, dynamic action.

Who does he play for ?
    Played for Woodbridge Wolfpack last year. Moving to Red Bank Generals for this upcoming season.

Played for Woodbridge Wolfpack last year. Moving to Red Bank Generals for this upcoming season.
    Nice, RB is a good organization. Good luck ! .... and don’t stand behind him when he’s in goal. Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Nice, RB is a good organization. Good luck ! .... and don’t stand behind him when he’s in goal. Lol
    LOL, thanks! Last year I was an assistant coach so I was not as focused on him. This year I'll be in the stands trying not to coach him from there.

Where do you coach?

Banned Midget Division
    welcome. my son plays for generals. will be first year bantam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast