Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft Strategy: Keep it Simple, Stupid

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Always hated the sports talk stupidity of "We'll trade you our 4 POS guys the other team does not need and makes no sense for the other team to take for your superstar that makes no sense at all " .

BUT

Outside the box crazy ass idea ;any thought to dealing some first rounders for Eichel? Heard he hates Buffalo. They probably would rather pay a bunch of first rounders a lot than pay his 2nd contract.And the Sabres could actually like that and be able to sell it to their fan base. For all these picks realistically every NHL team is paying it's top 6 forwards, top 4 D and a goalie and filling out the rest however then can. And out of the young superstars who could plausibly be traded Eichel makes the most plausible to move.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    They aren’t moving Eichel anytime soon.

If you’re still on the Ryan O’Reilly bandwagon, you might be getting excited
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    I wonder how different hockey would be if the Pens didn't draft Malkin because they already had Crosby and drafted a winger or defenseman instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    I wonder how different hockey would be if the Pens didn't draft Malkin because they already had Crosby and drafted a winger or defenseman instead.
    Malkin was drafted the year before Crosby was drafted - and they werent going to pass over Crosby - especially when Malkin was still in Russia and the chance of him defecting was rather low.

*After Crosby, they took Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom and Kessel. Brassard, Mueller and Okposo were highly touted prospects as well.
    After that, they took C Angelo Esposito instead of Pacioretty.

*Please note that this was the season after Eric Staal had his good season and won a cup. Jordan was viewed as the "younger, meaner, better, faster, better scorer, and better hands version" of his older brother.
    Last edited by josh; 05-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Sounds familiar.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    IMO, the top 10 can be extended to 15. Literally picks 11-15 can get in top 10. I've seen mocks which have Tkacuk and Hughes in top 7, which possibly leaves Wallstrom and Boqvist available to us. Crazy huh? We will get a really good player, UNLESS we go and act stupid AWAY from the players often mentioned. I can see Hughes dropping in our lap.

Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Guess your point is about taking that best player available. Good point. Everyone KNEW that tandem would be a force to be reckoned with for 10+ years, just a matter of filling in the right pieces with good goaltending. If we had those 2, rounded out with our 18 others, we would win a cup or 2 as well. Just about anyone would.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBiv View Post
    IMO, the top 10 can be extended to 15. Literally picks 11-15 can get in top 10. I've seen mocks which have Tkacuk and Hughes in top 7, which possibly leaves Wallstrom and Boqvist available to us. Crazy huh? We will get a really good player, UNLESS we go and act stupid AWAY from the players often mentioned. I can see Hughes dropping in our lap.
    Medicine woman is 5'6 on skates.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    What are the thoughts on both Carolina and Edmonton saying they're willing to trade their picks?

Going #9 and #10 would be outrageous. Maybe there's a move for Zucc to Oilers to play wing with McJesus. Maybe Klefbom in return for other assets.

Many many options out there.
    GORTON 2020

If you're going for 2 or 3, you're losing something critical, like Zibanejad, on top of 9, and maybe more. If you don't land Tavares, too, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I’m really hoping kandre miller is available at 26. Would love to grab him there, huge upside

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Medicine woman is 5'6 on skates.
    Quinn Hughes is 5'10" and around 175. He and Tkachuk were both very dominating and stood out in the NCAA playoffs. I was concerned about Quinn as a defender, but he really impressed me during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. He (like Boqvist and Dahlin) is explosive on offense and drives possession and seems to have a great command of the game. We'd be super lucky if he were to slip to #9. Same for Boqvist. Both look like dynamic top-pairing Dmen who will put up big time points.

I still wonder if Boqvist's concussion doesn't drop him. I'd love to snag him at nine because other teams repeatedly pass due to the recency of his injury.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Quinn Hughes is 5'10" and around 175. He and Tkachuk were both very dominating and stood out in the NCAA playoffs. I was concerned about Quinn as a defender, but he really impressed me during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. He (like Boqvist and Dahlin) is explosive on offense and drives possession and seems to have a great command of the game. We'd be super lucky if he were to slip to #9. Same for Boqvist. Both look like dynamic top-pairing Dmen who will put up big time points.
    You getting your information from the internet again?

I don't disagree with the assessment of his play, or Boqqvist, I'd just be cognizant, and hesitant of the size of these guys. There are only a few defenders this small in the NHL, and they all have injury problems.

Regardless, I dont think either are on the board at 9.

But, with the concerns I mentioned, perhaps there's a possibility a team trades back a few spots... Do you go 9th + 28th for 6 or 7th? (And here, I probably would, if not for the concerns I mentioned)

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Malkin was drafted the year before Crosby was drafted - and they werent going to pass over Crosby - especially when Malkin was still in Russia and the chance of him defecting was rather low.

*After Crosby, they took Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom and Kessel. Brassard, Mueller and Okposo were highly touted prospects as well.
    After that, they took C Angelo Esposito instead of Pacioretty.

*Please note that this was the season after Eric Staal had his good season and won a cup. Jordan was viewed as the "younger, meaner, better, faster, better scorer, and better hands version" of his older brother.
    Jordan was never suppose to be as good as Eric was as a prospect.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I’m really hoping kandre miller is available at 26. Would love to grab him there, huge upside
    I'd like that pick. He reminds me a lot of Sean Day.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I still wonder if Boqvist's concussion doesn't drop him. I'd love to snag him at nine because other teams repeatedly pass due to the recency of his injury.

Our great hopes have been so bitten by concussions in the past that I'd be very reluctant to go that route on anything recent.
    I realize a lot of kids may have concussions in their backgrounds, and other still might have unreported concussions. We've seen Nash, Zibs, McDonagh, Zucc, Staal, Gaborik all hampered, or even stopped short in a promising career, like Sauer, and the list goes on, not to mention the obvious Lindros and LaFontaine. , but I am just so leery of this these days, not that what I think matters even a speck, but I would hope our drafters are aware of our bad luck in this regard.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Trade all our picks to get up as high as possible, hopefully 4 or 5. I'd love 2 or 3 but not sure those teams will want to do it.

I'd also assume a bad contract as an inducement since I think we have some cap room.

Unless you're getting 2 or 3, there's no reason to move up. The difference between 4 and 9 is marginal.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast