Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: Rangers Draft Strategy: Keep it Simple, Stupid

  1. #21
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,899
    Rep Power
    414
    Exactly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #22
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,030
    Rep Power
    20
    Always hated the sports talk stupidity of "We'll trade you our 4 POS guys the other team does not need and makes no sense for the other team to take for your superstar that makes no sense at all " .

    BUT

    Outside the box crazy ass idea ;any thought to dealing some first rounders for Eichel? Heard he hates Buffalo. They probably would rather pay a bunch of first rounders a lot than pay his 2nd contract.And the Sabres could actually like that and be able to sell it to their fan base. For all these picks realistically every NHL team is paying it's top 6 forwards, top 4 D and a goalie and filling out the rest however then can. And out of the young superstars who could plausibly be traded Eichel makes the most plausible to move.

  3. #23
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,504
    Rep Power
    252
    They aren’t moving Eichel anytime soon.

    If you’re still on the Ryan O’Reilly bandwagon, you might be getting excited
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Holbrook, NY
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    2
    I wonder how different hockey would be if the Pens didn't draft Malkin because they already had Crosby and drafted a winger or defenseman instead.

  5. #25
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,504
    Rep Power
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    I wonder how different hockey would be if the Pens didn't draft Malkin because they already had Crosby and drafted a winger or defenseman instead.
    Malkin was drafted the year before Crosby was drafted - and they werent going to pass over Crosby - especially when Malkin was still in Russia and the chance of him defecting was rather low.

    *After Crosby, they took Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom and Kessel. Brassard, Mueller and Okposo were highly touted prospects as well.
    After that, they took C Angelo Esposito instead of Pacioretty.



    *Please note that this was the season after Eric Staal had his good season and won a cup. Jordan was viewed as the "younger, meaner, better, faster, better scorer, and better hands version" of his older brother.
    Last edited by josh; 05-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #26
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,586
    Rep Power
    95
    Sounds familiar.
    GORTON 2020

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    1
    IMO, the top 10 can be extended to 15. Literally picks 11-15 can get in top 10. I've seen mocks which have Tkacuk and Hughes in top 7, which possibly leaves Wallstrom and Boqvist available to us. Crazy huh? We will get a really good player, UNLESS we go and act stupid AWAY from the players often mentioned. I can see Hughes dropping in our lap.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    I wonder how different hockey would be if the Pens didn't draft Malkin because they already had Crosby and drafted a winger or defenseman instead.
    Guess your point is about taking that best player available. Good point. Everyone KNEW that tandem would be a force to be reckoned with for 10+ years, just a matter of filling in the right pieces with good goaltending. If we had those 2, rounded out with our 18 others, we would win a cup or 2 as well. Just about anyone would.

  9. #29
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,504
    Rep Power
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryBiv View Post
    IMO, the top 10 can be extended to 15. Literally picks 11-15 can get in top 10. I've seen mocks which have Tkacuk and Hughes in top 7, which possibly leaves Wallstrom and Boqvist available to us. Crazy huh? We will get a really good player, UNLESS we go and act stupid AWAY from the players often mentioned. I can see Hughes dropping in our lap.
    Medicine woman is 5'6 on skates.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #30
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,586
    Rep Power
    95
    What are the thoughts on both Carolina and Edmonton saying they're willing to trade their picks?

    Going #9 and #10 would be outrageous. Maybe there's a move for Zucc to Oilers to play wing with McJesus. Maybe Klefbom in return for other assets.

    Many many options out there.
    GORTON 2020

  11. #31
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,899
    Rep Power
    414
    If you're going for 2 or 3, you're losing something critical, like Zibanejad, on top of 9, and maybe more. If you don't land Tavares, too, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #32
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    846
    Rep Power
    23
    I’m really hoping kandre miller is available at 26. Would love to grab him there, huge upside

  13. #33
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,030
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Medicine woman is 5'6 on skates.
    Quinn Hughes is 5'10" and around 175. He and Tkachuk were both very dominating and stood out in the NCAA playoffs. I was concerned about Quinn as a defender, but he really impressed me during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. He (like Boqvist and Dahlin) is explosive on offense and drives possession and seems to have a great command of the game. We'd be super lucky if he were to slip to #9. Same for Boqvist. Both look like dynamic top-pairing Dmen who will put up big time points.

  14. #34
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,899
    Rep Power
    414
    I still wonder if Boqvist's concussion doesn't drop him. I'd love to snag him at nine because other teams repeatedly pass due to the recency of his injury.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #35
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,504
    Rep Power
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Quinn Hughes is 5'10" and around 175. He and Tkachuk were both very dominating and stood out in the NCAA playoffs. I was concerned about Quinn as a defender, but he really impressed me during the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. He (like Boqvist and Dahlin) is explosive on offense and drives possession and seems to have a great command of the game. We'd be super lucky if he were to slip to #9. Same for Boqvist. Both look like dynamic top-pairing Dmen who will put up big time points.
    You getting your information from the internet again?

    I don't disagree with the assessment of his play, or Boqqvist, I'd just be cognizant, and hesitant of the size of these guys. There are only a few defenders this small in the NHL, and they all have injury problems.

    Regardless, I dont think either are on the board at 9.

    But, with the concerns I mentioned, perhaps there's a possibility a team trades back a few spots... Do you go 9th + 28th for 6 or 7th? (And here, I probably would, if not for the concerns I mentioned)
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  16. #36
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,700
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Malkin was drafted the year before Crosby was drafted - and they werent going to pass over Crosby - especially when Malkin was still in Russia and the chance of him defecting was rather low.

    *After Crosby, they took Jordan Staal over Toews, Backstrom and Kessel. Brassard, Mueller and Okposo were highly touted prospects as well.
    After that, they took C Angelo Esposito instead of Pacioretty.



    *Please note that this was the season after Eric Staal had his good season and won a cup. Jordan was viewed as the "younger, meaner, better, faster, better scorer, and better hands version" of his older brother.
    Jordan was never suppose to be as good as Eric was as a prospect.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  17. #37
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,555
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I’m really hoping kandre miller is available at 26. Would love to grab him there, huge upside
    I'd like that pick. He reminds me a lot of Sean Day.

  18. #38
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,681
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I still wonder if Boqvist's concussion doesn't drop him. I'd love to snag him at nine because other teams repeatedly pass due to the recency of his injury.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Our great hopes have been so bitten by concussions in the past that I'd be very reluctant to go that route on anything recent.
    I realize a lot of kids may have concussions in their backgrounds, and other still might have unreported concussions. We've seen Nash, Zibs, McDonagh, Zucc, Staal, Gaborik all hampered, or even stopped short in a promising career, like Sauer, and the list goes on, not to mention the obvious Lindros and LaFontaine. , but I am just so leery of this these days, not that what I think matters even a speck, but I would hope our drafters are aware of our bad luck in this regard.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  19. #39
    Member Mite Division LeetchFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    4
    Trade all our picks to get up as high as possible, hopefully 4 or 5. I'd love 2 or 3 but not sure those teams will want to do it.

    I'd also assume a bad contract as an inducement since I think we have some cap room.

  20. #40
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,899
    Rep Power
    414
    Unless you're getting 2 or 3, there's no reason to move up. The difference between 4 and 9 is marginal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •