• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Suspended Four Games by IIHF

josh

IIHF suspends Swedish players, coaches for WJC ceremony conduct

https://www.tsn.ca/iihf-suspends-swedish-players-coaches-for-wjc-ceremony-conduct-1.1074058

The IIHF announced Wednesday that it has handed down multiple suspensions to players and coaches from the Swedish National Junior team for their conduct during the medal ceremony at the 2018 World Junior Hookey Championship in Buffalo in January.

Forward and team captain Lias Andersson received a four-game suspension, while forwards Axel Jonsson and Jesper Boqvist, goaltender Olle Eriksson Ek and defenceman Rasmus Dahlin each received two-game suspensions for the first two games of the 2019 World Junior Hockey Championship in Vancouver and Victoria.

After Sweden's loss to Canada in the gold medal final, four players took their silver medals off and kept them in their hands for the remaining ceremony, while Andersson took his off and tossed it into the stands. The coaches took off their medals and put them into their pockets for the rest of the ceremony.

The IIHF maintains that doing so violated Championship Regulations Article 5.5.8 of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Junior Championship, according to which the silver medals are placed by IIHF representatives around the necks of the players and team officials and "have to be worn around the neck in respectful manner for the duration of the closing ceremony and the following post-game mixed zone and media conference procedures."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.new-iihf.com/en/events/2018/wm/news/2216/iihf-disciplinary-board-decision

Forward and team captain Lias Andersson is suspended for the first four games of the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.

The suspensions will not go into effect for any player or coach participating in the upcoming 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship

Dont think it matters - he wont be playing in the WJC next season, anyway

Would the IIHF still uphold this suspension if/when he was selected to play in the World Hockey Championship?

no

"The suspensions will not go into effect for any player or coach participating in the upcoming 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship"

Gotta admit....This one cracked me up!!! :rofl:

Translation: "You kids get off my lawn!!!" /shakes fist

I was hoping to get people a little worried, but mods changed the subject.

No he's not.

"A player is eligible to play in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships if:

the player has his 20th birthday in the year of the tournament's ending"

Next tournament is from des 26th - january 5th 2019, so he will turn 21th the year of the tournament's ending.

The medal rounds don’t count. It goes by birth year. Go look at how many 97’s played last year. Trust me

The medal rounds don’t count. It goes by birth year. Go look at how many 97’s played last year. Trust me

I didnt find a single swede or american that was 97. Not any one of the top goalies or top scorers either. Alex Nunn (the guy posting all the gifs from the tournaments on twitter) also said that Lias is not eligable for next year, but I dont know. He would not play either way.

Regardless of suspension, hope he learned his lesson. That's not leadership, it's immaturity.

Not sure if I agree with this 100%. A suspension doesn't make this immature (in fact, isn't giving the suspension to a guy who isn't going to serve it kinda ridiculous in its own right?), and from the looks of it, it wasn't just Andersson. Didn't he captain this team?

Maybe his teammates thought it was leadership.

Immature also? Yes.

But I don't think that negates any of the possible positives from this and how his teammates reflected upon it.

Edit - I reread my post and I'm not sure what my point is, so by all means, disregard. I'm torn on the immaturity scale and where this event lies.

;926772]Not sure if I agree with this 100%. A suspension doesn't make this immature (in fact, isn't giving the suspension to a guy who isn't going to serve it kinda ridiculous in its own right?), and from the looks of it, it wasn't just Andersson. Didn't he captain this team?

Maybe his teammates thought it was leadership.

Immature also? Yes.

But I don't think that negates any of the possible positives from this and how his teammates reflected upon it.

Edit - I reread my post and I'm not sure what my point is, so by all means, disregard. I'm torn on the immaturity scale and where this event lies.

The suspension doesn't make me think anything other than what I thought when it happened. Teenager acting like a disappointed teenager.

He'll learn to handle disappointment as he matures.

I didnt find a single swede or american that was 97. Not any one of the top goalies or top scorers either. Alex Nunn (the guy posting all the gifs from the tournaments on twitter) also said that Lias is not eligable for next year, but I dont know. He would not play either way.

No, the US had none, but Canada had a couple, and 1/2 of the Swedes were 97?s. U20, birthyear, it?s simple math. If he?s not eligible for other reasons, then whatever ... But it?s not his age.

No, the US had none, but Canada had a couple, and 1/2 of the Swedes were 97’s. U20, birthyear, it’s simple math. If he’s not eligible for other reasons, then whatever ... But it’s not his age.

Your math is off dude. This past year was the 2018 WJC, the oldest players were 98's. Rosters, not a single 97 in the tourney. Some did turn 20 before the tourney ended. Next year's tourney, although it starts in December 2018, is the 2019 WJC. Andersson, as a 98, is too old.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/02/rangers-let-coaching-option-they-like-go-without-a-fight/

Lias Andersson, who has aged out of the World Junior Tournament and is thus ineligible to play in next year’s event, has nevertheless been suspended for the first four games of next year’s World Juniors by the IIHF because of his actions at last year’s medal ceremony.

Archived