• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Case for Taking on Bobby Ryan's Contract

Currently, the Rangers have $24,950,556 in cap space available for next season. They have 13 players under contract for a total cap hit of $50,049,444. We don't know what the cap will be next season but from early reports it looks like it'll go up. These are facts.

Another fact: Bobby Ryan STINKS.

Here are his important stats:

CAP HIT: $7,250,000 for another 4 seasons

OTT 62 13 12 25

OTT 62 11 22 33

...over the last two seasons. Really, REALLY ugly numbers. He's hurt often and he's less than a .5 ppg player. There's no mistaking that his contract is possibly the worst in the NHL.

Now that we're all on the same page, what if we traded for him? We all know that Ottawa value $$$ more than they value on-ice product. They operate under their own cap and thus you have the Karlsson trade rumors. What if instead of packaging Karlsson, we packaged the #4 pick in the 2018 draft? What if we were able to draft #4 (Zadina, Tkachuk, or Svechnikov) and #9 (Wahlstrom, Boqvist, or Noel)? Obviously, something would have to go back the other direction. Both Tampa and Boston's 1st round picks and Hayes or Vesey, perhaps. Maybe Zuccarello or any of the other RFAs that need contracts.

Bobby Ryan plays out his days (kinda near home), and takes on a leadership role for a young team. In 4 years when his 7m comes off the books you have two (hopefully) superstars that are ready to get paid with his money...

I'm getting greedy at this point, I understand, but if you want to build properly, you need talent. Nothing gets you talent like 3 top 10 picks in two years. It's too soon to predict a lineup but something like this could be a reality if we moved for Ryan:

Kreider - Tavares - Zuccarello

Buchnevich - Zibanijad - Zadina

Walhstrom - Chytil - Ryan

Whoever - Andersson - Fast

No idea who plays defense.

Ottawa willing to trade Ryan WITH Karlsson because they know the asking price for Karlsson is too high.

You roster already excludes Namestnikov, Spooner, Hayes... might as well add a few picks to get the important piece in this trade. (because you’re not getting Zadina, regardless)

Yes... and I’m saying, with no subtractions, you might addd the best offensive dman in the league .. just sayin!

No sense adding Ryan, otherwise... since they won’t trade their pick

I don't think Ottawa would trade the #4 pick to get rid of Ryan. They are rebuilding, and the #4 pick is more important than saving some money. They will find someone to take Ryan with Karlsson, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is us. I would be ok with that depending on price. The question is how much does that reduce the Karlsson cost?

We might even be able to get them to consume Brendan Smith and Matt Beleskey's contract as part of the deal. Bobby Ryan's contract is THAT bad.

Well a couple of sweetening points:

1) He only recently turned 31. The contract runs to the age of 35. In itself, the age profile isn't that scary.

2) He was an NHL All-Star in 2015.

3) Just last year, he put up 6-9-15 and was +1 in 19 playoff games. He was arguably the single most decisive force for Ottawa in the 1st round against Boston.

I'm not saying he is a good player or anywhere near worth 7.25M, but I see some mitigating factors and some signs to a hidden, decent NHL level that perhaps can be re-discovered.

On the flip side, his contract is very back-heavy. His paid salary actually exceeds the cap hit in the last three contract years. That makes a mid-contract retirement very unlikely.

I don't think there's a team in the league who can justify trading for Bobby Ryan without cap retention, especially if it includes EK65. We're talking about taking on almost $18m.

Ottawa is very unlikely to flip the #4 just to dump Ryan, but if they're interested in, say, ADA, I'd pull the trigger. I'd probably even consider Skjei if there's another piece coming back as well.

I don't think Ottawa are going to bite, but I'd certainly consider eating Ryans contract + one of the late picks + one of the RFA's for their pick on the off chance they'd be interested in that kind of deal. Getting our mitts on one of Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk would be massive.

How did this rumor start with the rangers getting ryan

Pre-deadline, Ottawa management hinted that a trade for Karlsson must also include Ryan (to get rid of his contract). That's transformed to "We might give up our pick if you take Ryan" - which they wont, seeing as they are rebuilding and dont have a first round pick next season

i'd rather have a bed rock stay at home defensemen, rather than Karlsson and that abortion of a contract.

Listen to all offers but jeez, i just think we have to be smarter than this.

Why couldnt you have both? There is cap room if they play their cards right.

Currently, the Rangers have $24,950,556 in cap space available for next season. They have 13 players under contract for a total cap hit of $50,049,444. We don't know what the cap will be next season but from early reports it looks like it'll go up. These are facts.

OTT 62 13 12 25

OTT 62 11 22 33

...over the last two seasons. Really, REALLY ugly numbers. He's hurt often and he's less than a .5 ppg player. There's no mistaking that his contract is possibly the worst in the NHL.

Now that we're all on the same page, what if we traded for him? We all know that Ottawa value $$$ more than they value on-ice product. They operate under their own cap and thus you have the Karlsson trade rumors. What if instead of packaging Karlsson, we packaged the #4 pick in the 2018 draft? What if we were able to draft #4 (Zadina, Tkachuk, or Svechnikov) and #9 (Wahlstrom, Boqvist, or Noel)? Obviously, something would have to go back the other direction. Both Tampa and Boston's 1st round picks and Hayes or Vesey, perhaps. Maybe Zuccarello or any of the other RFAs that need contracts.

Bobby Ryan plays out his days (kinda near home), and takes on a leadership role for a young team. In 4 years when his 7m comes off the books you have two (hopefully) superstars that are ready to get paid with his money...

I'm getting greedy at this point, I understand, but if you want to build properly, you need talent. Nothing gets you talent like 3 top 10 picks in two years. It's too soon to predict a lineup but something like this could be a reality if we moved for Ryan:

Based on the first highlight the second can't be possible.

no thanks to eating 7.25M per for 4 more years.

If the Rangers can dump their RFA's (Names, Hayes, Vesey aka players I don't want anyway) while also keeping the #9 pick but maybe surrendering Tampa or Bostons 1sts and to get Karlsson along with Ryan, I think I do it. Adding one of those late 1sts would have to swing in some salary retention on Ryan though. As well as talking to Karlsson about an extension prior to the trade.

Ps, doesn't Ryan kinda not like the Rangers? Thought I remember something like that, when he was available before he got that insane contract.

Well, if you want Karlsson, you are going to have to make some major concessions, either in the form of giving up assets you hate to see go, taking on the Ryan contract, or both. If you don't want to do something painful to get Karlsson, you might as well end the discussion, and that's a legitimate point of view.

OTT 62 13 12 25

OTT 62 11 22 33

Hey Three-One! I read this all the way through and had a day or 2 to think it through. At first, I was like...NO WAY Jose! ....The idea does make sense to a degree, and there is a way to achieve getting all this under the cap and landing the big fish in the pond that you're looking for.

The 10,000 pound elephant in the room though, is the fact that I think (...and this is just my opinion) the Rangers are better off just starting with younger players and going the way of the draft. I accept the fact it may be longer than a year....maybe 2 or 3 years. But that's ok with me at this point. We have to replace the last generation of players and I think the best way to do that is to start building a solid farm system with both coaches and players with a bright future.

For the short term and quick turnaround, maybe the Bobby Ryan strategy/Kovalchuk strategy might work, but at this point and taking all things into consideration, I would rather go the route of slow and steadily building through the draft, and unloading older players for younger talent and/or draft picks.

It's a really well thought out idea though!!! I think you may have a future as a GM!! :rofl:

OTT isn't trading their pick without a massive overpayment.

Would you trade the #2 pick just to dump Marc Staal's contract?

Ryan's contract is indeed worse than Staal's, but it doesn't come at the expense of losing the #2 pick.

If anything, I would rather target Bergevin and the #3 pick, but despite all of his shortcomings and shit deals, I don't think he moves that pick either.

Whether the rangers like it or not they probably aren’t a playoff team next year no matter what they do this off season.

Why?

They were only 5 points out of 8th, with a game in hand, after the trade deadline last year. Draft one piece, sign one piece, and have a couple of players improve, and you're a playoff team even before adding a better system.

Why?

They were only 5 points out of 8th, with a game in hand, after the trade deadline last year. Draft one piece, sign one piece, and have a couple of players improve, and you're a playoff team even before adding a better system.

I agree with this and I actually think we will make the playoffs next season, because I think we will make appropriate moves this offseason.

But the reality is that the chances of not being a playoff team, for this season or possibly the next couple of seasons, are far higher than they have been in like a decade. I think a lot of fans are just trying to mentally prepare themselves for that scenario.

Archived