Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Rangersí Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Rangersí Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

No,I think AV burying him and Buchnevich on the 4th line with McLeod
    is what contributed to his lack of production.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post

might as well put him on the 4th line. After his first few games, he was mailing it in on a nightly basis.

I'd like to see him here next season, but based on the lack of effort down the stretch, I'm not worrying about it.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    He did start like gangbusters and then fell off. He seemed to maintain a very upbeat attitude throughout. Do you think he is a quitter or that it was really indicative of a character flaw? Not sure I want to draw that conclusion. Feel free to elaborate.
    I think that he - like a bunch of other guys - gave no effort as the season wore down.

We learned a lot about Kreider, Hayes, Zucc, Pionk in that they're going to compete, regardless. I was completely disappointed in not the proeduction, but just the effort from a lot of guys - like Skjei, Buch and Namestnikov.

Senior Member Midget Division
    AV was great for this team in the first year or so, but man did he need to get fired. It turned into such a shitshow that it became difficult to even evaluate players during the 2nd half. All the talent regressed. Just Pionk showed promise. And Georgie, which says nothing about AV. Fuckin mulligan, I guess.

AV was great for this team in the first year or so, but man did he need to get fired. It turned into such a shitshow that it became difficult to even evaluate players during the 2nd half. All the talent regressed. Just Pionk showed promise. And Georgie, which says nothing about AV. Fuckin mulligan, I guess.
    And Hayes
    and Kreider
    DeAngelo before he got hurt, even.
    Fast excelled
    Zibanejad did... when he tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think that he - like a bunch of other guys - gave no effort as the season wore down.

We learned a lot about Kreider, Hayes, Zucc, Pionk in that they're going to compete, regardless. I was completely disappointed in not the proeduction, but just the effort from a lot of guys - like Skjei, Buch and Namestnikov.
    Coach was a morale killer and the plan and system turned into a shitshow. Some guys like Skjei played bad because everything around them was breaking down. Guys try to do too much, etc. Skjei was making great rushes in the same game he'd have a terrible shift. I learned nothing about Skjei and neither did you. That D and gameplan was abysmal.

We did observe Kreider have an epiphany due to a real scare. He's very upbeat now and self aware. He played lighter and faster and wants to continue that approach. Zuc's character in unquestioned. Zib plays hard too. If he can avoid head injuries he is a borderline 1st line C. Fast can play many roles well. Spooner is an awesome passer, sees the ice well.

Buch needs a coach to coach him up. Names needs a coach who knows how to construct a gameplan, build line chemistry and maximize his game on this new and young team. Hayes and Vesey have some of these needs and some additional needs. The potential to be contributors to a winning club is there. Hayes has certainly demonstrated multiple skill sets (shutdown C, heavy on possession and takeaways) and production.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-08-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And Hayes
    and Kreider
    DeAngelo before he got hurt, even.
    Fast excelled
    Zibanejad did... when he tried.
    Was typing when you wrote this. Agree for the most part.

However, I think Kreider's jump came from within and he moved ahead despite AV. Zib is just tenacious and once he found his groove again (kreids and Fast helped) they were on their own. It was the only thing that worked besides Hayes. I give Hartford the credit for working with DeAngelo. Same for Pionk.

You can give AV credit for Fast and Hayes and pretty much nothing else. And it showed.

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    You guys are talking about Namestnikov needing 2 dynamic players. What about a Russian line of KovalchukóNamestnikovóBuchnevich.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    You guys are talking about Namestnikov needing 2 dynamic players. What about a Russian line of Kovalchuk—Namestnikov—Buchnevich.

That will be one hard working line. I guess we’ll see just how well Namestnikov can cover for line mates

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    I was fine with moving AV out but the amount of blame he gets here for almost every player being nowhere near good enough is funny. How about they (Hayes, Vescey, Buch, Smith, and Names (to a lesser extent based on sample size) just to name a few ran out of talent and/or heart? I don't see any coach coming in here with a magical system that turns them into something they aren't. He would need to have ton of turd polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    That will be one hard working line. I guess we’ll see just how well Namestnikov can cover for line mates

Montreal had the French connection, we'll have the Russian Connection.

They'll show renewed pride. Kovy will contemplate D, Buch will practice putting his shot on goal. Names will practice skating backwards and work on his stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    I was fine with moving AV out but the amount of blame he gets here for almost every player being nowhere near good enough is funny. How about they (Hayes, Vescey, Buch, Smith, and Names (to a lesser extent based on sample size) just to name a few ran out of talent and/or heart? I don't see any coach coming in here with a magical system that turns them into something they aren't. He would need to have ton of turd polish.
    It doesn't matter, it was a total shit show, absolutely embarrassing on so many levels. The lockerroom sucked. The mix and chemistry fell apart. The talent was overmatched, the D abysmal. Teams adjusted to AV's style and found it easy to defend. Young players in general made more progress under other NHL coaches than our young guys. Can't fire and trade everyone at once, so the next move is a new leader, bringing a culture change, some staff, an emphasis on development and a fresh injection of ideas.

At a certain point things were so bad, guys look worse than they are. Some stability, a morale boost, a fresh voice, a more modern versatile system and attack will make a world of difference for some. Have no idea how bad we'll be until a lot more unfolds. We are moving in the right direction. It is a good time for everyone to look ahead. Lots to do. That's why it was a good message that AV was fired almost instantly.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Was typing when you wrote this. Agree for the most part.

However, I think Kreider's jump came from within and he moved ahead despite AV. Zib is just tenacious and once he found his groove again (kreids and Fast helped) they were on their own. It was the only thing that worked besides Hayes. I give Hartford the credit for working with DeAngelo. Same for Pionk.

You can give AV credit for Fast and Hayes and pretty much nothing else. And it showed.
    Iím not looking to give Av credit. Iím pointing out that there was an environment to try.

I’m not looking to give Av credit. I’m pointing out that there was an environment to try.
    That's fair.

Still it was a 1 line team until the last few weeks when Hayes and his new line loosened up, had fun and played more aggresive. The rest were AHLers. The D was Skjei trying to do too much in terrible man-to-man system and Pionk flashing smarts, skill and plenty of mistakes. An injured DeAngelo, the rest is trash.

Basically, the environment was not suitable for building success or developing players. At least a few guys got a little experience. We scraped out a few meaningless wins on the backs of a few players excelling and goaltending, despite the coaching.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 05-08-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Coach was a morale killer and the plan and system turned into a shitshow. Some guys like Skjei played bad because everything around them was breaking down. Guys try to do too much, etc. Skjei was making great rushes in the same game he'd have a terrible shift. I learned nothing about Skjei and neither did you. That D and gameplan was abysmal.
    Effort is not dependent on gameplan and if it is, then you know the guys you can't win with.

I’m pointing out that there was an environment to try.
    Word

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I’m not looking to give Av credit. I’m pointing out that there was an environment to try.
    I agree but that’s a pretty low expectation of a professional.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678