Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers’ Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    If goals are the only factor in judging the player then you maybe right. He’s not a franchise changer but he’s pretty safe to be a good top 6 forward that will average 20 goals

On a side note on Sirius nhl today they were suggesting that the isles may want to trade their first two picks for the number 5 so they guarantee themselves one of the top defenseman.

Every single scout loved Mcdavid too. And Brian Lawton. And Mario lemieux. And nail yakupov. And Eric lindros.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Goals are what the team needs the most. If I have a top 10 pick and there's a guy with potential for 35 goals and a dependable 2 way forward who will pot 22...I'm taking the 35 goal guy. Every. Single. Time.

I don’t disagree but that doesn’t make Tkachuk a bad pick. Most scouts seem to think that at worst he’s his brother. That a pretty good player.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I don’t disagree but that doesn’t make Tkachuk a bad pick. Most scouts seem to think that at worst he’s his brother. That a pretty good player.
    But Matthew is no 35 goal scorer, and I think that's Pete's point.
    LGR!

I get it. Some teams maybe more comfortable taking a guy that at worst it’s seems like a 25 goal guy that’s a pain in ass to play against and brings it 100% every night. He’s the safe pick. It doesn’t make anybody right. I get Pete’s point. I was trying to explain why he’s considered a top 5 talent. I don’t think he should go before 5 buts that’s me. I will say if he’s there at 9 you have to take him laughing at your good fortune.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    When you call out that he brings it 100 every night, you're sort of implying that the other players in that range don't...

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    The issue with Tkachuk isn't Tkachuk. It's everyone around him who appear to be more productive/higher-impact offensive players. With a pick that high, when you have a clear shot at drafting a measurably more talented player, you do. It's ridiculous to draft for intangibles that early. It's the same misguided thinking that lead to the McIlrath pick.

I've made no effort to hide my hopes that the Rangers somehow get the kid, but there are players who belong picked well ahead of him. The more talented ones, to be precise.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    I'd imagine Tkachuk is more of a safe/sure thing pick as compared to Mcllrath though. No? You KNOW his basement. But he can be even more. It's tougher than it seems like some seem to be leaning these DAYS. How are people falling off this bandwagon now?

Obviously we fans are dying for a legit scorer. But can the Rangers afford to miss on this pick? Euro scoring types are dangerous picks. Imo, from what I read and all the hype from the past season here, Tkachuk is at least a 2nd line type. Tops out as a legit new school powerforward/ franchise player.

What's the basement on these other names? Not even coming to NA? And if they do, how long until they come here?

I'm definitely not as informed about these potential picks, but I think they need to pick more of a no brainer, that they know will be here to start the season.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I’m more comfortable taking him at 9 than I would at 4.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I’m more comfortable taking him at 9 than I would at 4.
    OK how about 5? Who do you feel more safe taking? Safe as in, will definitely be here by next year or ever and at least be a 2nd liner?

Do we really want to go first liner talent with the potential of complete bust or never coming here?

You mean like Pavel Brendl? Imo Tkachuk should go 5. At 9 he’s a no brainer. I wouldn’t trade up 4 spots to get him because of everything everyone is saying. You don’t overpay for character, you overpay for talent. But he can’t just ignore character either. The guy would bring something that is very hard to find. He plays a nasty game and he plays it with skill. I’m not saying anything about any other player or implying anything. Please don’t make assumptions. To be totally honest Tkachuk is the one guy in this top ten I can pretty comfortably say I think I know what he’ll end up being. The other guys I know what potentially they can be but I know they can potentially be Pavel Brendl too. Tkachuk for the most part is a low risk pick.

And by the way his brother is 20. Not 24, 20. He’s put up 24 goals 49 points as a 19-20 year old. I would think he will score over 30 when he peaks. If that is what Brady is going to be that is hardly a bad pick at 9 or 5.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    OK how about 5? Who do you feel more safe taking? Safe as in, will definitely be here by next year or ever and at least be a 2nd liner?

Do we really want to go first liner talent with the potential of complete bust or never coming here?
    I think you need more than a solid 2nd line player with a top pick.

I’m not completely sold on the kid being anything special to warrant being taken that high. I’ve said I like the 10-20 projected picks groups more than the 1-9. Just preference, really.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The issue with Tkachuk isn't Tkachuk. It's everyone around him who appear to be more productive/higher-impact offensive players. With a pick that high, when you have a clear shot at drafting a measurably more talented player, you do. It's ridiculous to draft for intangibles that early. It's the same misguided thinking that lead to the McIlrath pick.

I've made no effort to hide my hopes that the Rangers somehow get the kid, but there are players who belong picked well ahead of him. The more talented ones, to be precise.
    Pretty much this.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Every single scout thought Patrik Stefan was good.

I think out of the top 10 forwards projected, he will score the least amount of goals. So not really sure what the obsession is.
    Every single scout thought that Crosby guy might be good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Goals are what the team needs the most. If I have a top 10 pick and there's a guy with potential for 35 goals and a dependable 2 way forward who will pot 22...I'm taking the 35 goal guy. Every. Single. Time.
    Who is the world is predicting him to top out at 22 goals ??

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    And by the way his brother is 20. Not 24, 20. He’s put up 24 goals 49 points as a 19-20 year old. I would think he will score over 30 when he peaks. If that is what Brady is going to be that is hardly a bad pick at 9 or 5.
    His brother averaged out to 29 goals this last season had he not gotten injured...this as a 20 year old.

Little brother is a bigger, faster, more talented version.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    You have a top 10 pick and the option to draft a kid might become Wayne Simmonds or a kid that might become Tyler Seguin. Who do you pick?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Every single scout thought that Crosby guy might be good also.

Who cares? Point is scouts can be wrong and often are.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast