Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangersí Should Alter Draft Lottery Fate

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The Isles have so many holes...that seems foolish.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Isles have so many holes...that seems foolish.
    The rangers don’t? The isles are in better shape than the rangers especially if Tavares stays which is more likely than him landing with the rangers. They have barzal and a better group of forwards than the rangers. Their defense is suspect but the rangers are worse. Their goaltending is a disaster. All in all though they have a better prospect pool and have at least an equal roster to the rangers. They don’t have a goalie but even without Tavares they have barzal which is nearly impossible to find.

I agree though I think it would be foolish for them to trade up as it would be for the rangers. Trading up for the rangers should consist of moving the late firsts into a teen pick not the 9 into a top 5. The value here is in the middle of the first round not overpaying for a top five.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    The rangers don’t? The isles are in better shape than the rangers especially if Tavares stays which is more likely than him landing with the rangers. They have barzal and a better group of forwards than the rangers. Their defense is suspect but the rangers are worse. Their goaltending is a disaster. All in all though they have a better prospect pool and have at least an equal roster to the rangers. They don’t have a goalie but even without Tavares they have barzal which is nearly impossible to find.
    Idk that I agree with this. Other than JT and Barzal, they don't have anything. Lee, Eberle and Beauvillier are alright, but their production is a product of those two guys. de Haan is probably the only defenseman who would be an actual upgrade on NYR, and that's only after whoever is on the third pair.

There's a reason they were worse than the Rangers after the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Idk that I agree with this. Other than JT and Barzal, they don't have anything. Lee, Eberle and Beauvillier are alright, but their production is a product of those two guys. de Haan is probably the only defenseman who would be an actual upgrade on NYR, and that's only after whoever is on the third pair.

Splitting hairs when discussing forwards, rangers have more depth while the isles have barzal and maybe Tavares with capable others. Defense both teams are train wrecks. Point is the rangers have tons of holes just like the isles. My point was if it’s foolish for the isles than it’s foolish for the rangers. If you don’t view it as foolish that’s fine but the isles are probably in a better spot to trade up. That’s all

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Who cares about the Rangers? We're talking about the Islanders. It's foolish to trade 2 top 10ish picks to get to #4, they have a lot of holes so 11+12 are two quality players.

If you want to look at it from our perspective, we're picking at 9 and then in the 20's. It's not even close to the same.

Great I view it as foolish to trade the assets it’s going to take the rangers to move 5 spots to take a player who is marginally better than the one they will get at 9. In fact just as likely the player taken at 9 in this draft is as good or better than the guy at 5

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I agree. I'd rather stick with nine. But the Rangers can still move up in the draft without moving from nine by packaging BOS and TBL together to move into the middle somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I agree. I'd rather stick with nine. But the Rangers can still move up in the draft without moving from nine by packaging BOS and TBL together to move into the middle somewhere.

i wouldn't be against this. would rather at this point just sit where we are and get the picks right.

Packaging TB and Bos picks to move up into the middle would be easier to swallow than trading the 9th+ to get into the top 5.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I'm all for moving up. I'm all for trading roster players. I'm all for packaging picks. Just so long as there's a plan, and I believe there is, I'm good with it. If you can move up and draft a franchise altering player, then do it.
    GORTON 2020

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Personally I have very little interest in the risk of overpaying to move up higher than #9, if it were even possible, unless the guarantee of return outweighs the risk and cost. The pundits say those 5 or 6-9 picks are much of a muchness..

Having see how this historically team drafts second tier players and outright busts with picks in the #7 range, I'm not confident in its ability to get value with a slightly higher pick than #9.

As for the picks in the teens, I'm open to being more open minded on that, but I don't know if NYR would be getting is better and closer to the NHL than what NYR already has to offer. I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post

40g 22a 62pts Lee is just "alright"? WTF -- He's a beast. He's top-7 in the NHL in goals.
    If he's just alright I need to start drinking again. I can't knock a guy for putting pucks in the net when it's his job on the top line with a top center.

OK so his playmaking is not balanced, more of a scorer, but I've seen 10 years of various Rangers doing exactly the opposite. Not scoring enough goals on the top line, or not scoring them when they're needed (Nash). Heck even in points he's right there with Mathews, Landeskog, Bergeron, Zucker, Nylander, Arvidsson, Couture.

I'd love to have him on a Rangers' top line. I don't know how he got to -25 but the bloke sure scores like a top NHL forward
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 05-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    The more I think about it, Kotkaniemi sounds more and more like our pick.

Just like Lias and Filip. Playing in his home country against pros, one of the younger players in the draft and a little off the boards at #9 in real Rangers fashion. Another C tho, would leave us with 4 first round center prospects (Lias, Chytil, Howden, Kotka).

I dont know, just dont fuck this up Gorton.
    The way his stock seems to be rising I wouldn't be overly shocked to see one of the teams in front of us grab him. That, of course, wouldn't be the worse thing in the world because then one of the other guys would then fall back to 9th.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The way his stock seems to be rising I wouldn't be overly shocked to see one of the teams in front of us grab him. That, of course, wouldn't be the worse thing in the world because then one of the other guys would then fall back to 9th.
    Someone is bound to "fall" to us at 9. It seems to be the cutoff.
    Unfortunately, that's going to mean picking the 5th best RHD in the draft, or going "off the board" a bit.

All the teams drafting ahead of us, with, perhaps Chicago being an exception, are in the midst of deep rebuilds, and will most likely grab the guys needing development. IMO, Kotkaniemi is rising up the draft boards, not only due to his talent, but also the timeframe in which he will be able to play and make an impact at the NHL - similar to why the Rangers picked Andersson last season. Edmonton - maybe, but they should get their Dman, but starting with Dallas at 13 - he'll go quickly, if available.

So, back to 9... you are either taking the last (7th, 8th?) top defenseman available, hope a winger falls to you Tkachuk, Walhstrom , pick a "safe" American/Canadian 2-way depth forward/dman yipee! or go off the board and draft a foreigner with high potential.

We're in a shitty spot and you wont be able to figure out whats going on until draft night. I'd much rather see Wahlstrom fall then to pick Dobson or Smith.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

There is absolutely no chance of Tkachuk being available at #9.
    We might get lucky with Wahlstrom and I agree I’d much rather go for him than Dobson or Smith.

I’d be more than fine with Bouchard, Hughes, Wilde, Dobson or smith probably in that order.

Picks 1-5 you have to figure is going to be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Tkachuk. We are going to have options and it will be good ones

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    There is absolutely no chance of Tkachuk being available at #9.
    We might get lucky with Wahlstrom and I agree Iíd much rather go for him than Dobson or Smith.
    Good. Let someone else regret picking him top 5

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Good. Let someone else regret picking him top 5
    I’ve asked you before on this, what is it you know about Tkachuk that literally every single scout worth listening to doesn’t?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Please just draft someone who knows how to score for once. No more middle of the pack guys who happen to be good on both sides of the puck. I just want someone who shoots and doesnít miss the net for once lol

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I’ve asked you before on this, what is it you know about Tkachuk that literally every single scout worth listening to doesn’t?
    Every single scout thought Patrik Stefan was good.

I think out of the top 10 forwards projected, he will score the least amount of goals. So not really sure what the obsession is.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast