Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangers Woeful Defense Requires Summer Boost

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    No, but there might be one in need of center help who'd see value in dealing a D for an F.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Hayes is the only RFA forward worth anything and there are no teams with cap constraints this offseason, especially not if the cap goes up to $80m.
    I see Winnipeg as an option as a team that might not want to commit more cap space to their defense and could kind of use a top six forward /center like Names, Hayes or Spooner. Do they want to tie all their cap space into Myers, Buff, Trouba and Morrissey?

Is Columbus going to want to pay anything for Ryan Murray?

Minnesota might need a center. Are they going to pay out for Dumba?

Does Carolina want to commit to Hanafin? And if they do, does that make someone else available?

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I see Winnipeg as an option as a team that might not want to commit more cap space to their defense and could kind of use a top six forward /center like Names, Hayes or Spooner. Do they want to tie all their cap space into Myers, Buff, Trouba and Morrissey?

Is Columbus going to want to pay anything for Ryan Murray?

Minnesota might need a center. Are they going to pay out for Dumba?

Does Carolina want to commit to Hanafin? And if they do, does that make someone else available?
    Whether they want to pay these guys or not, and whether there are cap constraints are different. You can go through a list of RFAs and say "well maybe the team doesn't want to pay them," but none of these guys will be forced out because of cap issues.

That's not to mention that none of them need a center, and Hayes is our only valuable RFA. To get a difference maker on D like the ones listed here, you're talking about the #9 pick AND Spooner or whoever, at least. Murray could be cheaper, but he's not good enough to make a difference.

I get the point you're making, and agree that it's a good thought, but it's just not practical. Teams aren't looking to unload RFA D, especially for middle-6 RFA forwards.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Whether they want to pay these guys or not, and whether there are cap constraints are different. You can go through a list of RFAs and say "well maybe the team doesn't want to pay them," but none of these guys will be forced out because of cap issues.

That's not to mention that none of them need a center, and Hayes is our only valuable RFA. To get a difference maker on D like the ones listed here, you're talking about the #9 pick AND Spooner or whoever, at least. Murray could be cheaper, but he's not good enough to make a difference.

I get the point you're making, and agree that it's a good thought, but it's just not practical. Teams aren't looking to unload RFA D, especially for middle-6 RFA forwards.
    Isn't Minnesota tight against the cap?

Murray is ten times better than anything the Rangers can put on the ice at the moment. Ok maybe not Skjei, but...

Winnipeg may want to unload a guy that's already signed. I've been saying it for two years now. Myers is pretty damn good. They may not be cap fucked, but I still don't think they go the route of the Rangers and pay every RFA right now, just because they can. It doesn't make much sense to tie up that much money into a defense. It hand cuffs them. It may take more than Hayes or Names, but not that 9th pick. Maybe a 2nd rounder.

Maybe Carolina would like more draft picks and clear a big contract. Maybe Faulk becomes available? I'd frikken deal pick 31 and or 26 along with Names, (whom I think they would take) for him or Hanafin.

I think a lot of these types of moves are going to be made this summer. Cap clearing or just ducking the next contract type of moves, like Hagelin and Talbot for the Rangers in the past, just with more forster. Like what the Rangers SHOULD have done with Girardi and Staal prior to their extensions. They didn't HAVE TO trade them because they HAD space. Right after they were signed most people realized it probably wasn't the best thought out scenario.

Maybe you are right though. Maybe my idea of a RFA alone is enough. Gotta throw in one of the late 1st or a 2nd to get the better players.

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Rangers Woeful Defense Requires Summer Boost

1st off have you seen the list of potential 2019 UFAs? I wouldnít take on salary at this point. óMyers is 1 of those guys.along with Doughty, OEL, Karlsson, McD, Ellis. And thatís just the defense, Iím not getting into players like Seguin

As was said earlier, itís a case of changing our defensive style. Everyone looking bad in this system. Itís like watching the all-star game where no one plays defense. Pionk just made team USA for the championships so that should say something about his ability/abilities.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr.wiskers; 05-02-2018 at 08:48 AM.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    1st off have you seen the list of potential 2019 UFAs? I wouldnít take on salary at this point. óMyers is 1 of those guys.along with Doughty, OEL, Karlsson, McD, Ellis. And thatís just the defense, Iím not getting into players like Seguin

As was said earlier, itís a case of changing our defensive style. Everyone looking bad in this system. Itís like watching the all-star game where no one plays defense. Pionk just made team USA for the championships so that should say something about his ability/abilities.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Waiting out free agency is a fool's game given how few of these players ever actually make it there anymore. The 2018 class probably looked great, too, two or three years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Yeah, the chances of any of those guys hitting UFA and signing with a new team is very small. What it can be is a chance to trade for a guy cheaper then his actual value. Arizona and Ottawa will most likely not re-sign OEL and EK, Tampa needs to pay Kucherov, Gourde, Stralman and McD next year (including Miller, Erne and Paquette this year). If Kings miss the playoffs again maybe they look to trade Doughty? Do Nashville want to pay Ellis his ~6m for 6-7 years?

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Yeah, the chances of any of those guys hitting UFA and signing with a new team is very small. What it can be is a chance to trade for a guy cheaper then his actual value. Arizona and Ottawa will most likely not re-sign OEL and EK, Tampa needs to pay Kucherov, Gourde, Stralman and McD next year (including Miller, Erne and Paquette this year). If Kings miss the playoffs again maybe they look to trade Doughty? Do Nashville want to pay Ellis his ~6m for 6-7 years?
    I think that there isn't nearly enough attention on Doughty and OEM, considering that the teams are terrible and they're set to be UFAs. If Arizona has a good season next year, maybe OEL sticks around, but LAK is bad and going to get worse. They should be moving Doughty exactly as Ottawa should be moving EK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12