• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Named Head Coach of 2019 U.S. National Junior Team

Phil

Boston University’s David Quinn has been named the head coach for Team USA in the 2019 World Junior Championships, but he nevertheless remains a strong candidate for the Rangers’ job, sources have told The Post.

The 51-year-old Quinn, who has guided the Terriers to four consecutive NCAA appearances, represents just the kind of “developmental coach” Garden executive chairman Jim Dolan on Wednesday told The Post the Blueshirts are seeking in the wake of Alain Vigneault’s dismissal.

“The guy we hire has to be a developmental coach,” Dolan said. “I can’t stress that enough.”

Quinn, who spent two seasons as the head coach of the US National Team Developmental Program — how’s that for a resume matching a club’s need? — has experience on the pro level. He served as an assistant coach for the 2012-13 Avalanche under Joe Sacco after three seasons as head coach of AHL Lake Erie.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/20/team-usa-gig-wont-hurt-coachs-strong-rangers-candidacy/

--

...or not?

I'm ok with Quinn. I don't buy the "development" angle. Why? Because he coached a USHL team? How's that any different than a Major Junior coach?

I like the mix in his background, and being with a program that is expected to win.

As an aside, it's really high time both the US and Canada hire a coach for the u-20 programs, full time. It's weird that they don't. The cash is there.

Nah, they just scab other coaches to the detriment of those programs.

Archived