Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolan: "I don’t think we had great leadership last year"

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Dolan: "I don’t think we had great leadership last year"

The Rangers are not only looking for a coach, they are looking for a captain in the wake of the trade that sent Ryan McDonagh (and J.T. Miller) to the Lightning. The next captain may or may not be on the roster.

“We need strong leadership in the locker room. I don’t think we had great leadership last year,” Dolan said. “I think maybe we added a burden to Ryan when we made him captain that affected him on and off the ice and kind of changed his own perception of himself. But he was a really good player for us for a long time.
    https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/ranger...he-next-coach/
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Deleted Midget Division
    Posted in the rebuild thread, but I think this is probably the best insight as to what our motives are moving forward. I think it's clear that we're indeed, rebuilding on the fly as I've said forever.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I hate to agree with anything Dolan says, but... I agree. I think it was a mistake. He was too young, not enough experience.
    GORTON 2020

I mean, I still maintain that we have no insight into this very specific matter given so much of it occurs where we can't see, but since being named captain, McDonagh's play did regress. I'm not sure if they're actually related or not, but the optics aren't kind.

I still think, again, fully understanding that this is almost entirely baseless speculation, that MSL and Richards were the strongest leaders this team has had since Shanahan.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

//reported Junior Division
    I always wonder about Dolan's involvement with the Rangers. He seems to let the Gorton and staff handle most of the day-to-day and isn't as involved as he is with the Knicks.
    LGR!

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Cause they lost their real leader in Richards when they bought him out. It was the right move, but they suffered a significant change going from Callahan to Richards (albeit unofficially) to McDonagh in a matter of months. I also agree that it might have affected Mac's game but so did his two shoulder injuries.

I always thought Stepan should've taken over, but I doubt that changes all too much.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Glad to read thoughts from ownership about what we all saw with our own eyes (and heard in the post-game interviews) that McD was out of his element as a Captain. Be it injuries or between his ears...he just wasn’t ‘that guy.’

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    fucking Av,let these players run the show behind-the-scenes even thou the team had no leadership

Senior Member Midget Division
    Since Phil is breaking this up into bits, I'll post this here.

Who is that tough leader/captain that we can get outside of JT? JT is not tough, but certainly a Captain.

I suggest Josh Manson. In his prime, righty, contract is manageable and we have the ammo to tempt Anaheim.

Anaheim needs offense and scoring badly!! See playoffs. Our late 1st and 3rd plus Shatty and their choice of Spooner, Zuc, Names, Vesey. Even Hayes if they insist. Feel free to monkey with the return for Anaheim, but it seems this target could be gettable and solve some major needs for us.

Mark Stone would be another possibility for a captain and scorer, given his RFA status and his credibility among his teammates. He may be more beloved by his team than Manson. Unlike Manson, he is not someone we'd want sending a physical message.

Couture could handle it, but unlikely SJ even considers it and may want a haul. Can't think of anyone else? Which Captain can we pry away?

Deleted Midget Division
    Kovalchuk. He's about as "ovy" as you get without being "ovy". This doesn't make for great captaincy, per se, as much as it does having a win at all costs player in the lockeroom which is what we desire.

Partner that with JT and a couple of other players from within the org (andersson) and we're reestablishing the culture.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    “And I know we need that one great player who can make a difference. We’ve identified some who might become available, and if they do, we want to be in position where we’re able to get them. We’re building a lot of data and analytics into our decision-making. And it’s important for the new coach to embrace that."
    This quote really jumped out at me and is it Karlsson or Tavares ? I don't know enough about either of those players as captains/leaders.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/ranger...he-next-coach/
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Dolan: "I don’t think we had great leadership last year"

Make no bones about it, if the Rangers are truly eying a one-year turnaround on this rebuild, players like Karlsson and Tavares are required. While a traditional rebuild in which the team strategically accepts at least a few losing seasons for prime drafting position could yield more sustainable long-term benefits, acquiring two franchise players with years of prime play left in their games in the same offseason would dramatically reopen the Rangers’ window to contend while 36-year-old Henrik Lundqvist is still viable.

Moreover, either player—even both—would not only answer the need for “a great player who can make a difference,” but would also resolve the leadership indictment handed down from management, given that both Karlsson and Tavares are currently serving as captains of their respective clubs.

After all, the Rangers aren’t just in the market for a new coach. They’re also in the market for a new captain. If he’s not already on the roster—here’s lookin’ at you, Chris Kreider and Mats Zuccarello—perhaps he’s yet to be acquired.
    https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers...ares-karlsson/

--

I maintain that a traditional rebuild would be more beneficial, but it sure seems like they're set on accelerating this thing. If so, guys like JT and Karlsson are required -- especially given they kill two birds with one stone in acquiring either.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I'm not mad at bringing in under 30 stars, just don't trade for Karlsson. Wait till next summer.

They may not have a choice. Any team trading for him is likely doing so contingent on his signing an extension with them. If they want him, they probably will need to trade for him, then extend.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They may not have a choice. Any team trading for him is likely doing so contingent on his signing an extension with them. If they want him, they probably will need to trade for him, then extend.

Well, he can nix 10 teams right off the bat. Then it depends on Hank's influence. Sure any team trading for him will want to sign him long term. That doesn't mean he'll agree. If he really wants to play with Hank, and will only sign here, then either they don't trade him or the price comes way down... In that scenario the Sens get the best value trading him as a deadline rental.

That's not what I mean. I mean any team trading for him will likely only do so contingent on his re-signing with them. I can't imagine anyone has any interest in paying the price for him for a one-year rental.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Hell, bring fucking Doughty in here and give him the C. The dude is a monster.
    GORTON 2020

//reported Junior Division
    I think I'd actually hate having Doughty here. We don't play the Flames often enough.
    LGR!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's not what I mean. I mean any team trading for him will likely only do so contingent on his re-signing with them. I can't imagine anyone has any interest in paying the price for him for a one-year rental.

I know what you mean, you're not understanding what I mean. Just because a team may be willing to pay a hefty price for him, doesn't mean he will agree to sign there, effectively giving him a full NTC instead of a 10 team list. If he were to want to play with Hank, then it would either be the Rangers get a discount or the Sens hold on to him and get what they can at the deadline, which should be more the the Rangers are willing to give up even with aforementioned discount.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The Sens have ZERO leverage here (which is why clauses are dumb).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast