• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Gave Lundqvist an Out at the Deadline; He Refused to Take it

Phil

The Rangers presented Henrik Lundqvist with the option of moving at the trade deadline, but the 36-year-old franchise goaltender declined while citing his commitment to the club?s rebuild, Garden executive chairman Jim Dolan told The Post on Wednesday.

?We told Hank that if he didn?t want to ride it out through this process, we?d find a good landing place for him,? Dolan said during a conversation at his MSG office. ?But he said that he wanted to stay and see it through.

?I?m very happy that?s the way he feels. I think with him at the top of his game, that gives us our best chance of competing for a playoff spot next year.?

https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/henrik-lundqvist-couldve-left-at-trade-deadline-if-he-wanted-to/

I'll give the guy credit...He's loyal! He's going to go through the growing pains with us yet again. It just looks to me that we're going to be coming of age around the same time his contract expires.

Thing is this....I always want to see a guy like this win a cup: a Career player for an organization (Kinda like Ray Bourque, who had to do it elsewhere)...Hank's been an absolute gem to this organization and has given it everything he had, even when a lot of us figured he should have a seat and ride it out this year.

I just hope he can enjoy the fruits of his labor sooner than later, with the squad we're looking to rebuild. He certainly deserves it more than any player in recent memory. Hard to put a price tag on loyalty!

I really don’t think they can trade hank if he wanted to go. Who has the cap space for the next four years to take him?

Certainly not Montreal.

Seriously, whether they could find a taker for Hank or not, it was important that the Rangers gave him an out. I assumed they did. And it was important for him to know the direction and for us that he makes a commitment (to not freak out with 4 rookie defenders). JK, I hope.

For the right return, why not? Remember this thread?

Tell me if you think this could work: Henrik Lundqvist to the Flyers for one of two deals: Travis Sanheim (D), Samuel Morin (D), Anthony Stolarz (G), and Jori Lehtera (LW). Or, the Rangers agree to eat Andrew MacDonald’s contract and it’s Sanheim, Morin, MacDonald, and Carter Hart.

The thinking: Morin is struggling so he’s a reclamation project for the Rangers. Lehtera or MacDonald are just dead cap space. It’s basically Sanheim (an excellent prospect) and a top goalie prospect, both of which fit what the Rangers seem to crave. If the Rangers want a guy immediately they take Stolarz, if they want the better long-term guy they have to eat the money to get Hart.

That's just two hypotheticals that would allow for it.

I can't see what contender would have had that kind of cap space for the next three years, and I can't see how we would have eaten a big part of the contract.

Well depending on how you define contender, the Blues, Flyers, Flames and Stars all could.

Gibson was about the 8th best goalie this year. Raanta, Fluery, Rinne, Hellebuyck, Rask, Quick, Bobrovsky

2018-19 is also his last year on his contract before RFA

What? No. He was 5th in SV% overall and 2nd in SV% of goalies with 30 wins. 3 of the goalies ahead of Gibson in SV% (Raanta, Fleury, Luongo) started fewer than 50 games.

After Rinne, you can throw Gibson, Andersen, Vasilevsky and Bobrovsky in a blender to pick out the rest of the top 5, but there weren't 7 goalies better than Gibson this year.

But regardless, Anaheim would have no desire for Lundqvist right now. It's not like they're going to make Gibson their #2.

That's an easy problem to fix. Trade him to New York in the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Idle thought.

After watching last night's game Toronto look like they could use a better goalie, wonder if they would part with a young center and we take someone else+salary ?

That said, to see Hank winning a cup here would make me happier than winning a cup, IYKWIM.

But first things first, it's been too many decades already.

Hank putting ‘honor and service (to the fans)’ above self? Or, does he know more than us armchair GMs do? Maybe Hank sees something we have yet to appreciate. I really want to believe that. He’s a competitor foremost with the ultimate objective in mind. That speaks to me.

He's been talking to his pal Erik Karlsson about coming to NY next year

Idle thought.

After watching last night's game Toronto look like they could use a better goalie, wonder if they would part with a young center and we take someone else+salary ?

That said, to see Hank winning a cup here would make me happier than winning a cup, IYKWIM.

But first things first, it's been too many decades already.

Toronto's defense is so bad it doesn't really matter who their goalie is.

Andersen was outstanding for them this year.

Toronto's defense is so bad it doesn't really matter who their goalie is.

Andersen was outstanding for them this year.

That may well be the case, but he looked badly out of position/overreacted and stiff on at least a couple of those goals last night.

Maybe it's a playoff thing, maybe it's' something else, or maybe shitty defending by his team got in his head like it did with Hank.

That may well be the case, but he looked badly out of position/overreacted and stiff on at least a couple of those goals last night.

Maybe it's a playoff thing, maybe it's' something else, or maybe shitty defending by his team got in his head like it did with Hank.

Almost certainly. Happened with Vasilevsky too as the season went on.

You can't let your goalie get shelled for 40 shots a night 60 times a year and expect any sort of season-long consistency.

I think it would have been really hard to move Hank.

He'd likely only want to go to a contender, which doesn't make sense because Nashville, Jets, Bruins, and Tampa all have goalies. That second tier of teams that could use an upgrade at goalie - Dallas, Philly, Toronto, Avs - isn't all that big. The teams that actually need a goalie are no better than the Rangers. I just don't see how this move would be possible.

I agree that Andersson has been shaky at best. It's not the goal totals but the kinds of saves he's making. He does not look confident.

He's been talking to his pal Erik Karlsson about coming to NY next year

I'd want to know if Karlsson is still damaged goods beffore signing him to a 9 million contract and years.

In fact, forgedddaboudit, I don't want to sign another FA, and this is important >>coming off a bad injury

Do you want to risk going there with this?

“It’s hard to truly say exactly what is different. It feels like I have a leather piece in my one ankle and you can’t really move it,” Karlsson told a crowd of reporters. “It’s going to take some getting used to, but again, I think I can manage this pretty well right now.” — TSN

https://www.tsn.ca/karlsson-reveals-more-about-ankle-injury-1.868641

And there's another quote elsewhere — on a virus-laden site that I wont link —*about how "they took half my anklebone out." That sounds like one blocked Ovechkin/Chara/Subban/Doughty shot short of a catastrophe.

He's super talented, but we've been burned too many times before. For me it's a pass. I'd prefer to see the org try to drat or get these guys while they are younger and healthier.

I don't want to be closed-minded to the opportunity for improvement via strategic free agent acquisition, but injury history so often comes to bite us in the butt, I would prefer not to go where there has been significant and recent damage of a career-threatening type.

The type I'd consider right now is Tavares because he's supposedly healthy and fits 2 immediate needs top-tier center, potential captain/team leadership.

Archived