• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Enter the Sin Bin: What It's Like to Be Sent to 'Adult Timeout' in the NHL

Saw this article from Sports Illustrated yesterday. It's really well-written and has a lot of good stories. For those of you looking for a laugh, or (like me) looking for a tale of the good ole days and a simpler time, I strongly recommend reading it in its entirety. It's excellent.

http://amp.si.com/nhl/2018/04/17/penalty-box-history-nhl-playoffs

But when rage subsides, as Marchand noted, all that remains is guilt. Most penalties are served alone, and you can only watch as your teammates have to fix your mess. Muscles tense. Chitchat stops. Stare straight ahead, wait for the attendant to count down from 10, and get the hell out of Dodge. The penalty box might be the only place where prisoners want to serve their full sentences—especially come springtime. “Every second you’re in the penalty box in the playoffs, no kidding, your ass is puckered up,” May says. “You’re so on edge. If the other team scores, then you’re the horse’s ass. You’re culpable, and you’re blamable.”

Hits the nail on the head for me. It sucks sitting in the box and watching, knowing that you put your team down. Yeah, sometimes you think the call is bullshit, but let's be honest, you deserved it most of the time.

Hits the nail on the head for me. It sucks sitting in the box and watching, knowing that you put your team down. Yeah, sometimes you think the call is bullshit, but let's be honest, you deserved it most of the time.

Yeah, that's what struck me about the article. The perspective of the guys that have to watch their mistakes play out.

Well, the story focuses on a bunch of guys notorious for taking dumb penalties. Most players get called from time to time, but it shouldnt be an issue for most guys sitting in the box.

I always have more of an issue with the guys going out to defend the penalty, than I feel guilty about taking one.

Archived