• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NY GIANTS DISCUSSION

Parsley

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/darnay-holmes-nfl-ny-giants

Holmes was the Giants 4th rounder. Seems like a real quality guy.

One interesting thing about this year's draft - the Giants seem to have placed a premium on character here.

I think they placed a premium on character after Gettleman's first year here, which is why Beckham, Collins, Harrison, Apple, and Jenkins all eventually got shipped out.

Never seen a fan base quite like the Giants, with how hard they come down on what Gettleman has done here. It takes time to build team character and ultimately a winning culture. I see a lot of progress there, but it admittedly has to start translating to the field starting next season. There needs to be at least a 3 or 4 win jump, despite a very tough schedule.

I think they placed a premium on character after Gettleman's first year here, which is why Beckham, Collins, Harrison, Apple, and Jenkins all eventually got shipped out.

Never seen a fan base quite like the Giants, with how hard they come down on what Gettleman has done here. It takes time to build team character and ultimately a winning culture. I see a lot of progress there, but it admittedly has to start translating to the field starting next season. There needs to be at least a 3 or 4 win jump, despite a very tough schedule.

You're right, but I sort of get it. The Giants haven't actually been a good team in a long time - the Super Bowl in 2011 got them a ton of goodwill. It's odd to say since we're talking about a stretch that included a Super Bowl win, but the Giants haven't really been "good" since 2009 or so. Since 2009, they've won the division once, had 10 wins twice, had a winning record 4 times in 11 seasons, and made the playoffs twice. I get the fan frustration - it's boiling over at Gettleman when it's really just cleaning up the mess so far. It's not really fair to Gettleman.

He's put together a really strong core. I love the O-line he's put together - Thomas, Peart, and Lemieux will anchor the line for years to come - and I love what he's done with the secondary. I think Baker can figure it out, he stole McKinney with that 2nd rounder, and I really, really like the Darnay Jones pick. Adding James Bradberry is huge too. That said, it's going to be hard not picking in the top 10 again because of the schedule. This is a growing pains season. They've got maybe 6 winnable games (WSH x2, the entire AFC North aside from Baltimore, the Bears), and I reckon they'll split WSH and I have the Browns as better than expected with Baker actually getting protected.

I'd put them in for a surprise win or two, so maybe a 5-6 win team?

IMO, they're short at least an edge rusher, a linebacker, and a WR.