Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

Senior Member Squirt Division rangers02's Avatar
    All of our playoff success came from Glenny and AV! Now we had one bad season, AV is Gone! The Dolans have done the same thing with the Knicks, they are nothing and we will be as well before they are gone, especially if Sather leaves! Look at Sather's record of success in Edmonton AND he played with us, he was one of our tough players!

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Your view of non-Americans is well documented.
    Swing and a miss

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    The Keefe thing reminds me of Eakins all over
    Who, ironically enough, has done well in the A since the EDM debacle. I'd interview him, too.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Who, ironically enough, has done well in the A since the EDM debacle. I'd interview him, too.

Didnít he also coach the Marlies before coming to the NHL?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Eakins was the next big thing and got totally run out on a rail up there.

I'd bring him in for an interview.

i sometimes wonder if coaching in Edmonton is now approaching the same nightmare of coaching in Montreal. Seems like just too much external bullshit to put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Swing and a miss

take off you hoser....

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    All of our playoff success came from Glenny and AV! Now we had one bad season, AV is Gone! The Dolans have done the same thing with the Knicks, they are nothing and we will be as well before they are gone, especially if Sather leaves! Look at Sather's record of success in Edmonton AND he played with us, he was one of our tough players!
    Just not true, a really myopic representation of Ranger history
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    Eakins was the next big thing and got totally run out on a rail up there.

I'd bring him in for an interview.

i sometimes wonder if coaching in Edmonton is now approaching the same nightmare of coaching in Montreal. Seems like just too much external bullshit to put up with.
    You got it Slobber. As bad as some coaches had it in Edm, no one got a more dysfunctional situation than Eakins. I remember listening to him on radio before and just after the dismissal? The whole thing was a clusterfuck. He was classy and insightful about the experience and remember thinking he will get another chance one day.

Bring him in.

EDit: I'm careful not to mention too much I hear on NHL radio these days, less I be damned (out of nowhere) by Mort of providing "my interpretation" instead of a freakin transcript.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-12-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post

Exactly. Admittedly, I am a Torts fanboy, but only because I respect the hell out of what he was able to accomplish here. He changed a loser culture with a no bullshit approach. His first day he screamed at media for stepping on the team logo in the lockerroom.

I know he rubbed some guys the wrong way (Avery, hank, and others) but there's no denying his success here and the lasting change that was made. The "Black and Blueshirts" might be one of my favorite seasons of all time.

His firing seemed abrupt and shocked me honestly, but maybe it was time. Shitting on him post-partum seems wrong though.

Same with AV. There are a lot of things to say about AV but at the end of the day he had a winning record and that's what history remembers.

On to the next coach. The next style. The next chapter in history.
    About Torts I have one name, Adam Henrique and for AV, John-Sebastian Pageau
    Last edited by rangers02; 04-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    About Torts I have one name, Adam Henrique
    And? For Alain Vigneault, Alec Martinez.

Torts has at least won somewhere.

Puck, Drew, other informed souls. You guys got nothing on Sturm?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Look up his records in the OHL and AHL. Read anything about his coaching. Just Google him.
    I did, and I'm still not sure why people are talking like hes the top get. His teams never won championships. He hadn't produced any top prospects from the OHL (though he did coach a few Ranger prospects/players in DeAngelo, Sproul, Gettinger, and Halverson). Hes had decent Toronto prospects to use to have a nice winning record in the A. Im not sold. Hes hands on and thats great, bit he hasn't developed anything that wasn't already a sure thing. Imo hes getting way more chatter than he should be.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Puck, Drew, other informed souls. You guys got nothing on Sturm?
    I don't really watch any of the tournaments he's coached.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Excuse me, I was talking about the stretch of 2014-2017! Most of our playoff failures did come from coaching, are you happy about that? I'm not!

Myopic, how about the Curse of 1940? One cup in 77 years?

swamped Midget Division
    Excuse me, I was talking about the stretch of 2014-2017! Most of our playoff failures did come from coaching, are you happy about that? I'm not!
    players are responsible for a team’s performance on the ice. a gm assembles the squad, the coach has a system and can help with matchups, but the teams on the ice determine the result. we just didn’t perform well enough on the ice. do you want to blame the 3 ot losses in the stanley cup finals on the gm or the coach?

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    players are responsible for a team’s performance on the ice. a gm assembles the squad, the coach has a system and can help with matchups, but the teams on the ice determine the result. we just didn’t perform well enough on the ice. do you want to blame the 3 ot losses in the stanley cup finals on the gm or the coach?
    Coach wins in a landslide here.

I agree with your point. This team has been short on talent for years, carried by an elite goalie that masked a lot of shortcomings. Now it's time to pay up and in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I did, and I'm still not sure why people are talking like hes the top get. His teams never won championships. He hadn't produced any top prospects from the OHL (though he did coach a few Ranger prospects/players in DeAngelo, Sproul, Gettinger, and Halverson). Hes had decent Toronto prospects to use to have a nice winning record in the A. Im not sold. Hes hands on and thats great, bit he hasn't developed anything that wasn't already a sure thing. Imo hes getting way more chatter than he should be.
    Hey dude. I may have posted this harder to find article (from 3/27/15), when Phil mentioned Keefe in early winter. It is a worthwhile read and demonstrates his ability to overcome diversity and become a grounded adult and teacher of young men. At my age and having hired managers, I found it insightful (maybe combined with other things I know about him) with regard to why his personality may lead to stable success and an ability to relate, yet be tough on his players. He's been focused on developing young players, up-to-speed with analytics and all the tools available today and has put in his time, big time.

Here's a short piece, over 2 years old, discussing Keefe being charged with developing a bunch of the kids we are watching tonight.

I like him because he fits a very young team that needs fresh ideas. He is progressive, but wants to teach kids the game, not analytics. He holds them accountable and tries to provide an edge for his players. He/we can also steal a few ideas from a now good organization in Toronto. He's hungry, ready and built to last. That's my assessment, having not interviewed him myself.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post

I agree with your point. This team has been short on talent for years, carried by an elite goalie that masked a lot of shortcomings. Now it's time to pay up and in a big way.
    i wouldn’t blame either the coach or the gm for an ot loss. one team is the first to have a shot find it’s way to the back of a net.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post

Fuck, I'm trying to get all you guys to think forward.

We all have our pain. I'm watching Stralman paired with McD, fuck Sather. Holy shit Taylor Hall just got the Taylor Halls back in the game.

Forget Torts, AV, Renney, Kennan and let's be interesting and think about the present and future.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast