• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

skunkman

Could somebody keep us updated on other Coaches getting let go, thus their possibilities of being considered for our Rangers?

With Planting season starting up would be nice to have it here instead of me having to search for the info.

Thanks!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could somebody keep us updated on other Coaches getting let go, thus their possibilities of being considered for our Rangers?

running list of candidates, feel free to add names

Current NHL coaches who might become available:

1. Barry Trotz

2. Bill Peters

3. John Tortorella (from the Brooks article)

Former NHL coaches:

4. Darryl Sutter

5. Dan Bylsma

6. Dave Tippett

Current AHL coaches:

7. Sheldon Keefe-Toronto

8. Jay Leach-Providence

9. Benoit Groulx-Syracuse

10. Todd Nelson-Grand Rapids

11. Dallas Eakins-San Diego

12. Clark Donatelli-Wilkes Barre

13. Pascal Vincent-Manitoba

14. Mike Van Ryn-Tuscon

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto

16. Dan Muse-Nashville

17. Kris Knoblauch-Philadelphia

18. Joe Sacco-Boston

College/University coaches:

19. Jim Montgomery-Denver U.

20. Rick Bennett-Union College

21. Tony Granato-Wisconsin U.

22. David Quinn-Boston U.

23. Nate Leaman-Providence College

24. Rand Pecknold-Quinnipiac U.

From todays Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts: I know all these names are listed, just throwing out the little blurb, any thoughts on Pascal Vincent?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-might-difficult-nhl-awards-race-ever/

13. A lot of good names already thrown out there as potential hires for the Rangers, including NCAA Wisconsin?s Tony Granato, AHL Toronto?s Sheldon Keefe and NCAA Denver?s Jim Montgomery. Wonder if they also take a look at AHL Manitoba?s Pascal Vincent, just named the league?s coach of the year. He fits their profile, too.

You can scratch off Tortorella off the bat, why would he or the NYR want to reunite? Wasnt Lundqvist the reason that Torts got fired?

From todays Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts: I know all these names are listed, just throwing out the little blurb, any thoughts on Pascal Vincent?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-might-difficult-nhl-awards-race-ever/

13. A lot of good names already thrown out there as potential hires for the Rangers, including NCAA Wisconsin’s Tony Granato, AHL Toronto’s Sheldon Keefe and NCAA Denver’s Jim Montgomery. Wonder if they also take a look at AHL Manitoba’s Pascal Vincent, just named the league’s coach of the year. He fits their profile, too.

You can scratch off Tortorella off the bat, why would he or the NYR want to reunite? Wasnt Lundqvist the reason that Torts got fired?

Did you see #14??

14. There are some wild rumours that Russian national team head coach Oleg Znarok may be coming to North America. His club team is St. Petersburg, current home of Ilya Kovalchuk.

Has won 3 KHL Championships (2012, 2013, and 2017)

13. A lot of good names already thrown out there as potential hires for the Rangers, including NCAA Wisconsin’s Tony Granato, AHL Toronto’s Sheldon Keefe and NCAA Denver’s Jim Montgomery. Wonder if they also take a look at AHL Manitoba’s Pascal Vincent, just named the league’s coach of the year. He fits their profile, too.

Also why would CBJ fire him?

And, yes, rumor has it, Hank got Torts fired -- which I'm still bitter about. Never should a player be above the team. Look at fucking Buffalo. Players got the coach canned, finished dead fucking last.

Also why would CBJ fire him?

And, yes, rumor has it, Hank got Torts fired -- which I'm still bitter about. Never should a player be above the team. Look at fucking Buffalo. Players got the coach canned, finished dead fucking last.

Torts was as bad to our offense as AV was to our Defense and toughness. Both were terrible at skating good line combos but thank god Torts got torpedo'd

Our best result was when AV came in with Torts' D system/discipline fresh in their heads combined with the new offense.

We need a more balanced coach, the floor is yours Gorts

Torts was as bad to our offense as AV was to our Defense and toughness. Both were terrible at skating good line combos but thank god Torts got torpedoed

Our best result was when AV came in with Torts' D system/discipline fresh in their heads combined with the new offense.

You are absolutely correct! We need a head coach that can balance our new offense with a new defense, but let's wait and see on the draft in June

We need a coach like Mike Keenan (without wearing out his welcome or the conflicts with players) a coach that will put discipline in our players hold them accountable and play a fast, in your face type of Hockey because of the season that we earned in the 2017-18 NHL season

running list of candidates, feel free to add names

Current NHL coaches who might become available:

1. Barry Trotz

2. Bill Peters

3. John Tortorella (from the Brooks article)

Former NHL coaches:

4. Darryl Sutter

5. Dan Bylsma

6. Dave Tippett

Current AHL coaches:

7. Sheldon Keefe-Toronto

8. Jay Leach-Providence

9. Benoit Groulx-Syracuse

10. Todd Nelson-Grand Rapids

11. Dallas Eakins-San Diego

12. Clark Donatelli-Wilkes Barre

13. Pascal Vincent-Manitoba

14. Mike Van Ryn-Tuscon

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto

16. Dan Muse-Nashville

17. Kris Knoblauch-Philadelphia

18. Joe Sacco-Boston

College/University coaches:

19. Jim Montgomery-Denver U.

20. Rick Bennett-Union College

21. Tony Granato-Wisconsin U.

22. David Quinn-Boston U.

23. Nate Leaman-Providence College

24. Rand Pecknold-Quinnipiac U.

If Gorton is into player development, then our best HC will be Dan Bylsma because of what he's done for USA Hockey and what he accomplished (Stanley Cup & Jack Adams in 2008-2009)

Torts was as bad to our offense as AV was to our Defense and toughness. Both were terrible at skating good line combos but thank god Torts got torpedo'd

Anyone who blames a hc for a teams offense, is irresponsible in how they watch or know hockey. Torts made whipped cream out of shit. His rosters had very little talent, and he was still able to get 40 out of Gabs and almost 30 out of Ryan fuckin Callahan.

Talent scores goals. Coaches can’t teach that to individuals, it’s something they have or work on to get better. Once the play is in the OZ, they have to figure out how to bury one.

We need a coach like Mike Keenan (without wearing out his welcome or the conflicts with players) a coach that will put discipline in our players hold them accountable and play a fast, in your face type of Hockey because of the season that we earned in the 2017-18 NHL season

I get irrationally pissed off when Mike Keenan’s name is brought up. That was 25 years ago. He was actually a piece of shit who threatened to quit and all the players hated him. We don’t need anything resembling Mike Keenan.

If Gorton is into player development, then our best HC will be Dan Bylsma because of what he's done for USA Hockey and what he accomplished (Stanley Cup & Jack Adams in 2008-2009)

Yuck. Maybe our next head coach will hire him as an assistant. He could even be special asst to the head coach to mentor him on the ways of the NHL and also focus on the development of our youth. Hopefully our next head coach will be coaching his first gig in the NHL.

Great candidates available. We should interview everyone, at least 8 - 10 guys. Fantastic that Gorton moved swiftly with firings and can get the ball rolling.

I'd certainly bring in Keefe (credit to Phil months ago), Tony Granato, David Quinn, Rick Bennett, Jim Montgomery. I think 31 mentioned Dallas Eakins. He'd be worth an interview and extra DD/scrutiny. Not sure he should get dinged for the mess in Edm. Clark Donatelli might be a consideration.

A out-of-the-box HC I'd like to make sure we interview is Marco Sturm. The guy was given HC and GM and development responsibilities for the meager German National team and has far exceeded expectations, building an excellent program. He is credited with being an excellent teacher, leader and his players are vocal about how much they like playing for him. he is considered very progressive and has many contacts and experience in the NHL. I like his style, poise, optimism and youth on the bench. His team plays hard too. I think he has an eye for talent and really should be a front runner with Keefe, Granato and maybe one or two others.

Yuck. Maybe our next head coach will hire him as an assistant. He could even be special asst to the head coach to mentor him on the ways of the NHL and also focus on the development of our youth. Hopefully, our next head coach will be coaching his first gig in the NHL.

Great candidates available. We should interview everyone, at least 8 - 10 guys. Fantastic that Gorton moved swiftly with firings and can get the ball rolling.

I'd certainly bring in Keefe (credit to Phil months ago), Tony Granato, David Quinn, Rick Bennett, Jim Montgomery. I think 31 mentioned Dallas Eakins. He'd be worth an interview and extra DD/scrutiny. Not sure he should get dinged for the mess in Edm. Clark Donatelli might be a consideration.

A out-of-the-box HC I'd like to make sure we interview is Marco Sturm. The guy was given HC and GM and development responsibilities for the meager German National team and has far exceeded expectations, building an excellent program. He is credited with being an excellent teacher, leader and his players are vocal about how much they like playing for him. he is considered very progressive and has many contacts and experience in the NHL. I like his style, poise, optimism, and youth on the bench. His team plays hard too. I think he has an eye for talent and really should be a front-runner with Keefe, Granato and maybe one or two others.

Sturm is worth a good look at! Plays a style of hockey that we are best at, speed up an down the Ice!

Also worth a Look at is Anze Kopitar's Father because he built the Slovenian national Hockey team from nothing and now they are an international powerhouse in the Hockey World

Sturm is worth a good look at! Plays a style of hockey that we are best at, speed up an down the Ice!

Also worth a Look at is Anze Kopitar's Father because he built the Slovenian national Hockey team from nothing and now they are an international powerhouse in the Hockey World

Sturm was always a hockey enthusiast, freak student of the game and went balls out during his career. He loves the game, has a lot of enthusiasm and has the energy to put in the work and eventually be a real good NHL coach. Bring him in and get to know Coach Sturm asap. Gorton must know him from the Bruins, right?

Ignorant uninformed question here... What has Keefe done to be considered a front runner for the job?

Flavor of the off season. Time will tell, there's some names out here that I think would be borderline comical. Going with a guy without a ton of experience and thrown into this market could be an absolute disaster. Gotta grab the popcorn sit back and see what happens.

Anyone who blames a hc for a teams offense, is irresponsible in how they watch or know hockey. Torts made whipped cream out of shit. His rosters had very little talent, and he was still able to get 40 out of Gabs and almost 30 out of Ryan fuckin Callahan.

lol then you're either blind or ignorant. It was night and day when AV came in with the same players

Torts was completely incompetent with the Ranger offense

Ignorant uninformed question here... What has Keefe done to be considered a front runner for the job?

.700+ winning percentage between OHL, AHL.

Reads like a promising hybrid coach who embraces all the right things — adjusting for strength of schedule, opponent, etc. Makes strong use of analytics, and is one-on-one with players.

Archived