Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Track of Coaching Availabilities

swamped Midget Division
    babcock is generally regarded as an upper echelon coach. detroit won cups while he was coach, toronto hasn’t won any under him. is this because: 1 he was a better coach in detroit or 2 his team performed better in the playoffs in detroit
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    babcock is generally regarded as an upper echelon coach. detroit won cups while he was coach, toronto hasn’t won any under him. is this because: 1 he was a better coach in detroit or 2 his team performed better in the playoffs in detroit
    ut oh. Fletch you trying to derail us? Umm, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk? Oops. Babcock is super, which is why Keefe is available. The Leafs could have added like the Bruins and Tampa did, but they have no pussies. They don't deserve to win this series, but we need them to.

fuckin Kadri. multi-game for that kinda blow to the head against the boards.

Can we talk HC candidates? Why hasn't Ruff been canned yet? Is he gonna be our young coaches mentor? Hopefully only if he wants him.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-12-2018 at 10:39 PM.

swamped Midget Division
    my point is ultimately talented teams win cups. a lot of coaches could have taken gretzky’s oilers or lemieux’s penguins or yzerman’s red wings to cups. when we have better players and players that perform better in the playoffs our coach is going to look a lot smarter, no matter who it is.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

True for the most part. Could anyone coach Crosby to do that shit last night?

Whatever we do, I do hope we eliminate system coaches or guys married to systems.

Or someone who needs to change lines every period, overcoaching nonsense, dismissing chemistry.

Or the guy who pulls the star goalie after 1 goal. Remember that? Screw that asshole.

Or someone who can't build toward the playoffs and being successful there. Not just making it.

Edit: the last one requires good mgmt/drafting too.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    my point is ultimately talented teams win cups. a lot of coaches could have taken gretzky’s oilers or lemieux’s penguins or yzerman’s red wings to cups. when we have better players and players that perform better in the playoffs our coach is going to look a lot smarter, no matter who it is.
    3 examples of a completely different league. Also, no, not every coach can win with super talented teams. Crosby’s Pens proved that on 2 different occasions. Boudreau has had some seriously talented teams and never won. AV had more talented teams in Vancouver and never won.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    3 examples of a completely different league. Also, no, not every coach can win with super talented teams. Crosby’s Pens proved that on 2 different occasions. Boudreau has had some seriously talented teams and never won. AV had more talented teams in Vancouver and never won.
    Ha ha , Boudreau was the reason I said for the most part.

I too am not convinced that AV can win it all w/o an absolute powerhouse lineup.

Gallant is showing us what good coaching can do. The coaching team in Boston has done a marvelous job too. Anyone have any opinions on Sacco?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Hey dude. I may have posted this harder to find article (from 3/27/15), when Phil mentioned Keefe in early winter. It is a worthwhile read and demonstrates his ability to overcome diversity and become a grounded adult and teacher of young men. At my age and having hired managers, I found it insightful (maybe combined with other things I know about him) with regard to why his personality may lead to stable success and an ability to relate, yet be tough on his players. He's been focused on developing young players, up-to-speed with analytics and all the tools available today and has put in his time, big time.

Here's a short piece, over 2 years old, discussing Keefe being charged with developing a bunch of the kids we are watching tonight.

I like him because he fits a very young team that needs fresh ideas. He is progressive, but wants to teach kids the game, not analytics. He holds them accountable and tries to provide an edge for his players. He/we can also steal a few ideas from a now good organization in Toronto. He's hungry, ready and built to last. That's my assessment, having not interviewed him myself.
    Nice story.

With that being said, he hasn't won and hasnt produced a top prospect from the OHL. Has had sure things stroll through the A, has an excellent winning percentage, yet Has. Not. Won. Maybe he wins this year. That might change my opinion, especially since he doesn't have Nylander and Kapanan and Dermot.

Maybe as a stepping stone, its a good idea, but I'm not tying the wagon to him as a definite long term option. If it works out? Great. Maybe hes an option as an assistant?

On another note, Ruff still being here is weird. Its gotta be a Drury connection thing. Hes either being relocated within the organization at another position, or they want him to stay as an assistant. While i don't mind Ruff, if he stays as an assistant, and is forced onto the next coach, that doesn't bode well. It also is bothersome in that Drury is pulling favors for his buddies. Thats an old Sather type problem.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Nice story.

With that being said, he hasn't won and hasnt produced a top prospect from the OHL. Has had sure things stroll through the A, has an excellent winning percentage, yet Has. Not. Won. Maybe he wins this year. That might change my opinion, especially since he doesn't have Nylander and Kapanan and Dermot.

Maybe as a stepping stone, its a good idea, but I'm not tying the wagon to him as a definite long term option. If it works out? Great. Maybe hes an option as an assistant?

On another note, Ruff still being here is weird. Its gotta be a Drury connection thing. Hes either being relocated within the organization at another position, or they want him to stay as an assistant. While i don't mind Ruff, if he stays as an assistant, and is forced onto the next coach, that doesn't bode well. It also is bothersome in that Drury is pulling favors for his buddies. Thats an old Sather type problem.
    You've literally fabricated this entire scenario.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Larry Brooks calling for Scott Stevens

https://nypost.com/2018/04/15/scott-...-rangers-need/
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don't hate it.

Yea, I'm on the fence myself.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Larry Brooks calling for Scott Stevens

https://nypost.com/2018/04/15/scott-...-rangers-need/
    Wasn’t Gorton quoted saying it will be a coach with HC experience at some level?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Did he say head coaching or just coaching? I can't recall.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Team Win BSBH Rookie
    Late night submission piece? Any mention of chelios??

"Obviously we're going to look for highly qualified individuals," Gorton said of the interview process. "Where that person comes from, we'll look anywhere. Whether it's AHL, NHL, wherever we can find the best possible coach moving forward."

While he said any candidate for the position must have coaching experience at some level, the amount of experience is not something Gorton and his staff is putting a number on. New points of view are something Gorton appears to be looking for.

"I think fresh is a good word," Gorton said of possible candidates who aren't household names. "We're looking for someone who can help us get back to an identity we want to get to. We're looking to go through this process and hear some ideas from people that have some thoughts, with the personnel we have and the makeup of our team going forward, that they have some ideas to help us move forward with a young group."
    https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/gor...ns/c-297827788

I guess Stevens’ experience is up for interpretation.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Did he say head coaching or just coaching? I can't recall.
    He said HC, which would be my first concern with Stevens. Second, these guys need to have their agent call the Rangers if they are interested. Stevens quit Boudreau after just 1 year as an asst because of his family in Jersey. I'd wonder if he is too comfortable and rich to want to deal with the rigors of a beastly job in NYC for the next 5 years.

I want a guy that is hungry and ready to live and breathe this job. That this is the mark they are going to make, in their career. Is that Stevens? Is he really that hungry to be an NHL HC and not just coach kids? Is he gung-ho to hire and manage coaches, staff, deal with being the face of the franchise and run an entire organization?

He is not Scotty Bowman that we should be trying to talk him out of retirement. Brooks shoulda made a call to Stevens, but that would be real reporting work.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-15-2018 at 08:22 AM.

I still think they are keeping Ruff around because they are likely to hire someone who could benefit from his tutelage. Why else has he not been fired yet? If the new coach doesn't want Ruff then he may be repositioned in the org. It is also possible that if he does not fit with the new coach, he will then look at other NHL jobs. Make a call to Ruff larry. Not that he'll call you back, but do something more than blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    He said HC, which would be my first concern with Stevens. Second, these guys need to have their agent call the Rangers if they are interested. Stevens quit Boudreau after just 1 year as an asst because of his family in Jersey. I'd wonder if he is too comfortable and rich to want to deal with the rigors of a beastly job in NYC for the next 5 years.

I want a guy that is hungry and ready to live and breathe this job. That this is the mark they are going to make, in their career. Is that Stevens? Is he really that hungry to be an NHL HC and not just coach kids? Is he gung-ho to hire and manage coaches, staff, deal with being the face of the franchise and run an entire organization?

He is not Scotty Bowman that we should be trying to talk him out of retirement. Brooks shoulda made a call to Stevens, but that would be real reporting work.
    While he said any candidate for the position must have coaching experience at some level, the amount of experience is not something Gorton and his staff is putting a number on.
    He doesn’t say HC, at least not in this article. Also, Stevens was co-coach with Adam Oates after DeBo got fired.

I’m not a Brooks fan, but why does he need to call Stevens’ agent? It’s clear that this is just his opinion on a candidate they should look at. He’s not reporting it as anything else other than that.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Keefe, Stevens (running D, PK), St. Louis (running PP). Who says no?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast