Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 227

Thread: Gorton: Team Lacked Toughness and Grit; Will Be Addressed

  1. #21
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    41
    Like I said in the off season thread, Tkachuk adds something this team has been lacking for years. High octane physical play alongside a great overall skill set. He goes after every puck as if his life depends on it and is an absolute pest. Like having an angry wasp in your car. And a bonafide #1 lw and leader as well.
    Yeah, we’re in a new era. But, for me, this isn’t about dropping gloves and putting guys through the glass. It’s about intense physical play on every shift. Being hard to play against. I think the Jets are a great example of playing hard, fast and intense hockey in a modern way. They’re excellent to watch and horrible to play against. We’ve been too nice for too long. A lot of that is down to AV, but some of it is on the players as well. Kreider for example is a big boy and a great skater. He could certainly be using that more to his advantage. I’m fairly certain it’s rare for opposition to sit in the locker room and go “ffs, playing against Kreider tonight”. That’s what Tkachuk brings.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 04-10-2018 at 02:05 AM.

  2. #22
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,817
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think it was more that the coach didn't allow players who had those intangibles to activate on them.

    Guys like Smith, Miller, Krieder all have a mean streak. They just weren't allowed to play with an edge.
    This


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,777
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Like I said in the off season thread, Tkachuk adds something this team has been lacking for years. High octane physical play alongside a great overall skill set. He goes after every puck as if his life depends on it and is an absolute pest. Like having an angry wasp in your car. And a bonafide #1 lw and leader as well.
    Yeah, we’re in a new era. But, for me, this isn’t about dropping gloves and putting guys through the glass. It’s about intense physical play on every shift. Being hard to play against. I think the Jets are a great example of playing hard, fast and intense hockey in a modern way. They’re excellent to watch and horrible to play against. We’ve been too nice for too long. A lot of that is down to AV, but some of it is on the players as well. Kreider for example is a big boy and a great skater. He could certainly be using that more to his advantage. I’m fairly certain it’s rare for opposition to sit in the locker room and go “ffs, playing against Kreider tonight”. That’s what Tkachuk brings.
    Its so annoying watching those few times he actually does this. The last period against Ottawa in game 6 he was an absolute beast. If he just could play like that every shift, every game he would be a dominant force in this league. I really hope the next coach will let him (and help him) play that way.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    I know I'm late to the party on this thread but yes...since no one said it..I will:

    AV was a pansy, and he coached like one.

    When Gorton says this team needs a new Identity, He should've said, "We're going stop being pushed around like a bunch of pussies". This team would have been crushed by the USA women's national team....physically as well....I'm not even kidding

    I'm so friggin' happy AV is gone! I swear to God, I left a small Cocoa puff in my shorts when I heard it!!!

  5. #25
    Sexxxy beast Pee-Wee Division skunkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    with my wife
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I know I'm late to the party on this thread but yes...since no one said it..I will:

    AV was a pansy, and he coached like one.

    When Gorton says this team needs a new Identity, He should've said, "We're going stop being pushed around like a bunch of pussies". This team would have been crushed by the USA women's national team....physically as well....I'm not even kidding

    I'm so friggin' happy AV is gone! I swear to God, I left a small Cocoa puff in my shorts when I heard it!!!
    Hidden Content

    The Skunk Has Spoken!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik
    "well, women do have a higher tolerance for pain than skunks"

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    Gimme that toughness back, Skunk!!!

    We get to enjoy this stuff again soon, my good man!!!!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,961
    Rep Power
    17
    There no doubt Av coaching system is not gritty and probably encourages players not engage in physical play(since I still don't get, he was a physical in your face player), but let's be honest this is not a gritty lineup,there is quite a bit off finesse players on this team.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,185
    Rep Power
    42
    The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

    Loved Mac but never agreed with him being captain.

    i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.

  9. #29
    Sexxxy beast Pee-Wee Division skunkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    with my wife
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Gimme that toughness back, Skunk!!!

    We get to enjoy this stuff again soon, my good man!!!!
    Who was the guy on here that said he was fed up with Gorton for letting AV go?


    I would have been more pissed if AV stayed!


    I am so sick and tired of watching Ranger Pussy Hockey!

    Now don't get me wrong, i am not talking fighting all the time but there are times when you can't skate away! You have to get in there and give that nasty face scrub to the prick on the other team!


    Hell i want a few pricks back on my team!
    Hidden Content

    The Skunk Has Spoken!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik
    "well, women do have a higher tolerance for pain than skunks"

  10. #30
    Sexxxy beast Pee-Wee Division skunkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    with my wife
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

    Loved Mac but never agreed with him being captain.

    i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.
    AMEN!
    Hidden Content

    The Skunk Has Spoken!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik
    "well, women do have a higher tolerance for pain than skunks"

  11. #31
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,032
    Rep Power
    26
    This is on Gorton as much as av. And I fucking hate av. The gm coming out and saying this does nothing but indict himself as anybody that has watched 3 games the past fours years already knew this. Why didn’t Gorton address this already. Also why are we bringing in guys like spooner and Namestnikov. Look up soft, there they are.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,339
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    This is on Gorton as much as av. And I fucking hate av. The gm coming out and saying this does nothing but indict himself as anybody that has watched 3 games the past fours years already knew this. Why didn’t Gorton address this already. Also why are we bringing in guys like spooner and Namestnikov. Look up soft, there they are.
    What trade partners at the deadline were going to give up grit and toughness guys, that are actually worth anything, when gearing up for a playoff run? He brought in Spooner and Names because they were available and have value. Between those 2, Hayes, Zucc, and Kreider, I bet at least two are traded in the off season.

  13. #33
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,123
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

    Loved Mac but never agreed with him being captain.

    i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.
    I've been saying it for a year.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #34
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76,089
    Rep Power
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I've been saying it for a year.
    And he's been reading it for a year. Hence the article.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    The Brooks article today in the post again points this out with Shattenkirk even stating there was no veteran accountability in the locker room.

    Loved Mac but never agreed with him being captain.

    i still think the Garden makes it way to comfortable to play here as well. that philosophy is the first thing that needs to change around here.
    MSG cannot wait to throw a BS ceremony for every minor benchmark. I get they want to make players feel valued and give the less intelligent fans something to celebrate. Recall Dan Boyle, who was barely here, getting a silver stick for some number of games.Did roughly the same thing for Kevin Lowe way back and don't know how many others. Do that at practice or in warmups, if you're gonna do it at all. I understand MSG has no real summer programming, but if I never seen another episode of "Beginnings' or "The Mask" it will be too f__ing soon. Not saying Lundqvist hanging with John McEnroe is why the NYR sucked, but really, who wants to see that crap? Though may be before dumping John Moore for a box of used tape they could've seen they had a solid NHL defenseman, but I digress. Things like that are but one example of the silliness that may cause some players to lose focus. Tortarella clearly went too far in the other direction, but has to be a change to focus on the task at hand and not the surrounding nonsense.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkman View Post
    Who was the guy on here that said he was fed up with Gorton for letting AV go?


    I would have been more pissed if AV stayed!


    I am so sick and tired of watching Ranger Pussy Hockey!

    Now don't get me wrong, i am not talking fighting all the time but there are times when you can't skate away! You have to get in there and give that nasty face scrub to the prick on the other team!


    Hell i want a few pricks back on my team!
    Me too skunk! I'm sick of watching teams run Hank and take liberties with our soft asses. Time to start a little return fire. It's not fighting...unless we have to, but some type of laying down the law again. "No one runs our 10 million dollar man without taking a solid 2-hander across the arms"....or at least a nice little "how do ya do" cross check in the back for some dirty shit.

    It's hockey...it's always been that way and if you've played it that way...it's the unwritten code. You still see it today...not on the Rangers in the recent past, but I wanna see it going forward. To me its a form of team unison, and I like it. I will never mind a guy taking a penalty to stick up for one of his teammates.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,020
    Rep Power
    70
    Cody McLeod 3 year extension
    __________________________________

  18. #38
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,032
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    What trade partners at the deadline were going to give up grit and toughness guys, that are actually worth anything, when gearing up for a playoff run? He brought in Spooner and Names because they were available and have value. Between those 2, Hayes, Zucc, and Kreider, I bet at least two are traded in the off season.
    Fine. Then I will assume they won’t be here come next season. Once the trade market opens again he will trade those guys or others like them for that grit.

    My point is that this has been a problem for years. This is not something they thought they had covered in their lineup and they just fell short this year. It should have been addressed long before this deadline and long before they decided to rebuild.

  19. #39
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,130
    Rep Power
    91
    idk the team has been tough to watch for a couple of seasons. Not much to address.

  20. #40
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,821
    Rep Power
    101
    I'm a grit guy. I love that shit. I think it's incredibly important, as you have already seen in 2 of the 3 playoff games played this season, but I hope they have the foresight to not over do it. We also lack SKILL. We have a buch of 30-point blobs. Players who are neither skilled nor gritty. It's actually baffling how we've even made it this far.
    GORTON 2020

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •