Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenzie: Rangers Will Circle on Karlsson, Tavares

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker View Post
    Is Kovalchuk really worth 6 mil a year???
    Im ok with it, bit i might rather see Nash return and see if a new coach frees him up and turns him back into a legit scoring threat at 4 or 5 million. Shit. If they swing and miss on Tavares, maybe both Nash and Kovy can be brought in. Fuck it Joe Thornton too.

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    I would pass on Karlsson but Tavares and Kovalchuk at the right price I would entertain.
    Kovalchuk Tavares Namenstikov could be a solid first line with Kreider Zibanajed Buchnevich as the second. Spooner Chytil Zuccarello third.
    Hayes Andersson Fast fourth.
    Defense is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division rangers02's Avatar
    For two years, I'll take it! The only question is will he be a mentor for the younger players and he has to be a leader in our locker room as well! Put the A on him Stat!

Don't sign Tavares! That will cost most of our draft picks! We need to rebuild from within, that means drafting well. We are watching to see what Gorton's fishermen will do in the Draft in June!

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    Don't sign Tavares! That will cost most of our draft picks! We need to rebuild from within, that means drafting well. We are watching to see what Gorton's fishermen will do in the Draft in June!
    I don't understand this
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I don't understand this
    Do you know why? Because if we sign him before the draft, that will trade some of our draft picks to the Islanders, and will waste big time money that plunders us into Cap Hell

Senior Member Junior Division
    Do you know why? Because if we sign him before the draft, that will trade some of our draft picks to the Islanders, and will waste big time money that plunders us into Cap Hell
    Annnd i don't understand this.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No, we can't sign him before the draft. We'd have to sign him on July 1, the first day of free agency. Since he's unrestricted, we wouldn't have to forfeit anything to sign him.

I think you're referring to restricted free agency where you have to compensate another team for signing a free agent. This isn't the case here.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Annnd i don't understand this.
    “If you sign Tavares, you lose hayes/Zib/Namestnikov/Spooner now, then you’ll lose another 1 or 2 every few years due to his big contract hit.”

Need impact players, and they cost money. I have no issue losing middle 6 forwards for a franchise center
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, we can't sign him before the draft. We'd have to sign him on July 1, the first day of free agency. Since he's unrestricted, we wouldn't have to forfeit anything to sign him.

I think you're referring to restricted free agency where you have to compensate another team for signing a free agent. This isn't the case here.
    I'm sorry. What you said was exactly my point, but I took that the wrong way!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    “If you sign Tavares, you lose hayes/Zib/Namestnikov/Spooner now, then you’ll lose another 1 or 2 every few years due to his big contract hit.”

Need impact players, and they cost money. I have no issue losing middle 6 forwards for a franchise center
    You are correct, Tavares is going to cost some big money around 10-15 mil which wil take away our key players

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    You are correct, Tavares is going to cost some big money around 10-15 mil which wil take away our key players
    If we can’t find the cap space for them, they aren’t key players.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pretty sure cba prevents a 15 million contract.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    If he can score goals maybe he is -- finishing seems to be a talent that the NYR does not really have enough of anymore (22nd with 228 goals for 2.78 g/g).

Does he have saucy enough mitts, or was it just a hard shot ... I can't remember?

I also wonder ... can he backcheck/attend to the defensive responsibilities every player needs to share their part of in today's speedier NHL?
    I guess we might find out. There's a lot of skepticism.

There is a reason that Kovalchuk only lead his team to the playoffs three times in his 12-year NHL career. Two of the three times, his team was vanquished in the first round. There is more to hockey than just sniping a puck past a goaltender’s earhole. The Atlanta Thrashers were okay with trading Kovalchuk to the Devils. After a few seasons, New Jersey didn’t shed a tear when he retired and returned home to Russia.
    https://fansided.com/2018/04/09/clue...lya-kovalchuk/
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 04-10-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post

Can we afford Tavares and Zibs? It would be nice to have a 1 and 1A (top-tier) centers for the first time in forever?

Never thought I'd say this but I'm reluctantly OK with dropping Hayes, Namestnikov, Vesey +. I think these all have upside but without 1/1A centers we are going nowhere.
    Tavares/Zibs/Andersson/???? down the middle ? Although Andersson seems to be a questionmark still.
    Spooner has been scoring at a .8 rate -- nearly a point a game since he came here to this half-extinct team -- he's worth keeping if we can ...
    I'm not sure how the dollars add up.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    We don't have key players. We have players. And even that's a stretch.
    GORTON 2020

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pretty sure cba prevents a 15 million contract.
    The maximum amount of an NHL contract is 20% of the upper limit of the salary cap. A $75M salary cap (2017-18) allows for $15M maximum per year.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    That's what this team needs is to spend 12-4 or whatever on a thirty+ year old guy and then mix in another 6 for a 35 year old Kovalchuk. Are there enough Paul Carey's a DD to fill out the bottom half of the roster? Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Per the other thread, given that there have been no discussions with him as it would be tampering, this $6 million figure has been made from whole cloth and is probably Russian collusion to drive up his perceived value. I strongly doubt they will pay him that much, even on a one year deal.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    The maximum amount of an NHL contract is 20% of the upper limit of the salary cap. A $75M salary cap (2017-18) allows for $15M maximum per year.
    No one not named mcdavid should get that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast