• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: Rangers Will Circle on Karlsson, Tavares

Phil

?But I can guarantee you this: They?ll go back into the Erik Karlsson well if he?s available at the draft. At least check in and see if there?s a way they could facilitate it. And if John Tavares goes to unrestricted free agency, I don?t doubt for a minute that the New York Rangers?

?Because at the end of the day, New York is New York and the Rangers and the Rangers. And there?s a lot of teams ? the Philadelphia Flyers have been doing it, the Vancouver Canucks are trying to do it, the Detroit Red Wings are trying to do it ? we talk about it a lot. The old ?one foot in, one foot out.? So you?re rebuilding on one side, and you?ve got another fork in the road where you?re trying to bring in veteran talent to stem the tide and keep the team relatively competitive to sell tickets and create a buzz in your market.?

https://www.fanragsports.com/ny-rangers/mckenzie-new-york-is-new-york-and-rangers-are-rangers/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. They'd get a full season out of him at his current rate and probably negotiate a long-term deal during the season. He's eligible to sign January 1st, 2019.

You would need some form assurance. That's a huge trade to go in on otherwise. We'd need to give up what we got for McDonagh ++

Fitting in those three will be tough.

Would need to add more to Ottawa to get them to take a contract (Spooner) but even then, that's what we got for Nash... so we're adding more.

Would have to look at a secondary trade to unload more cap. Maybe Montreal bites on Zib or Hayes while switching 1sts. Might still have to get picks/prospects for Zuccarello.

LLTK mentioned most of this in another thread.

I can see Tavares, because #1 Centers are a real novelty. JT is a very good one at that. (Too bad Hank wouldn't go for a restructure). I can go either way on Kovie, Phil. I think his best days may be behind him, but he can be very useful with experience for these kids coming up....A good teacher, so to speak. I feel the same about Staal. He can really be a help to some of these kids like Pionk and Gilmour.

I'm more interested in who we get to hold the reins of this puppy going ahead.

Your boy Keefe's name keeps popping up everywhere I look!

Karlsson is the one I have the least interest in, for exactly that reason. I'm all in on signing Tavares AND Kovalchuk, though.

I dont know.. You could see a bunch of teams extremely hesitant to trade for this rental, knowing the cost, and knowing he could be gone in a season... and his recent history of injuries. Teams without assets will be more hesitant.

So, you think that is has to be teams close enough to contender to make the deal (or be the NYRs) and have the assets that Ottawa would be looking for.

We just happen to have a ton of picks, a bunch of prospects on the verge, and a bunch of young middle 6 RFAs.

We cant keep all the players we have, as is...

I know, but it's still a little early to bail on them. Unless it's a Sather special where half the guys going back are warm bodies, I'm just not ready for that kind of trade. To me you're looking at Skjei, NYR 2018 1st (if it's not a top-3 pick), one of 2018 2nd's, plus add as needed. It's a lot.

I can see Tavares, because #1 Centers are a real novelty. JT is a very good one at that. (Too bad Hank wouldn't go for a restructure). I can go either way on Kovie, Phil. I think his best days may be behind him, but he can be very useful with experience for these kids coming up....A good teacher, so to speak. I feel the same about Staal. He can really be a help to some of these kids like Pionk and Gilmour.

I'm more interested in who we get to hold the reins of this puppy going ahead.

Your boy Keefe's name keeps popping up everywhere I look!

No such thing in the NHL.

The last time we found our own Karlsson was when we found Brian Leetch, 32 years ago. It might be a bit of a wait...

I'd rather wait than trade away the future, Sod.

I'll be patient...I waited 23 years for the first Cup, and presently at 24 right now since '94. ;)

Only way Karlsson makes sense is if we signed Tavares already. Since he'll likely go at the draft, that's not going to happen. If for some reason Karlsson hasn't been moved after July 1st and the Rangers signed Tavares, then I'd make a play at Karlsson.

Archived