Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Gorton Press Conference Recap

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    84

    Gorton Press Conference Recap

    - Scott Arneil and Darryl Williams Fired too
    - Still going to meet with Ruff

    - Looking to talk to 5-10 candidates
    - willing to look anywhere for highly qualified candidates
    - do have certain people they want to reach out to (didn't give any)
    - "I will not consider anyone who has never coached at any level."
    - No timeline for new coach selection
    - Looking for 'hands-on coach

    - Was disappointed in certain players
    - Not thinking about the new captain at this point
    - liked what they saw from Chytil and Andersson
    - Shatty doing well, has started his summer training program
    - ADA has been skating, both should be 100% by camp

    - Kreider going to world championships
    - Zib, Chytil, Andersson all asked to participate not confirmed




    https://www.facebook.com/nyrangers/v...5696738539858/

  2. #2
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,126
    Rep Power
    281
    What's he wearing?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #3
    //reported Junior Division
    phillyb™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,098
    Rep Power
    83
    Thanks for the link and write-up!
    LGR!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    27
    Ugh ruff

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Ugh ruff
    Just hasn't talked with him yet, so wasn't going to tell the media he was fired. Ruff is not a candidate for head coach...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    Ruff's done here too...no worries...clean sweep.

    Garbage got picked up today....next pickup in my neighborhood is Thursday....I just tucked him under the lid!

  7. #7
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,829
    Rep Power
    102
    I admire and appreciate Gorton's ability to make big decisions decisively and promptly and then hold a press conference about it the next work day. I think there was a 3 year period where I didn't know if Sather was alive or dead.
    GORTON 2020

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I admire and appreciate Gorton's ability to make big decisions decisively and promptly and then hold a press conference about it the next work day. I think there was a 3 year period where I didn't know if Sather was alive or dead.
    No fear of facing the music...I like that! ...I trust in Gorton. He's been good so far and has done some good things so far. This draft is clutch for him though and he's gotta come up HUGE!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    84
    "I think it's more general change," Gorton told reporters on Monday. "AV's been a terrific coach in the league, he's been a really good coach for the Rangers. He was here for five years. We've had success. AV will continue to be successful. You don't coach 1,000 games in this league unless you're a good coach.

    "I just think that after five years, we think it's time for a change," he added. "The players need a new voice and the organization needs a new coach as we go forward with our group. That's the decision we made."
    "I think fresh is a good word," Gorton said of possible candidates who aren't household names. "We're looking for someone who can help us get back to an identity we want to get to. We're looking to go through this process and hear some ideas from people that have some thoughts, with the personnel we have and the makeup of our team going forward, that they have some ideas to help us move forward with a young group."
    "I don't want to rule out anybody," he said. "I think we need to get through this sit-down as a group here and figure out exactly what we want to do and who we want to look at and what's the criteria. I don't want to rule anybody out or stop anybody from reaching out that thinks they have a chance to be the coach."
    https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/gor...ns/c-297827788

  10. #10
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,815
    Rep Power
    139
    In other words, he lost the team
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    41
    Really like a lot of what I heard there.
    In particular
    a) Will look at guys with no NHL experience (Keefe please) and
    b) Will not look at guys with no coaching experience, i.e. no fucking around with Messier or similar stupidity

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    I just watched the whole presser with Gorts...

    I don't know what it is about his approach, but I really like it. He's just a straight shooter that knows what he wants from his squad. I can totally respect that and I support him 100%.

  13. #13
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,126
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I just watched the whole presser with Gorts...

    I don't know what it is about his approach, but I really like it. He's just a straight shooter that knows what he wants from his squad. I can totally respect that and I support him 100%.
    I think he gives good pressers (I havent watched this one). I like hearing him talk, but, anytime he gives specifics, or close to, the voice in the back of my head says "bullshit"... and I also dont think he's trying to hide that he's selling a load of crap, either.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #14
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    A lot of unknowns right now as well, Josh man. This franchise is faced right now with the fact that they're at the lowest point they've been at in quite some time, that coupled with the fact we've had depleted the cupboard in years before, and historically failed with 1st rounders like McIlrath.

    I think Gorton knows where we need to go. How long it takes to get there is going to be the variable factor in all this.

    Also add in the fact we need the right guy at the helm to do it; I think we'll get there, but it's going to be a while, that's for sure

  15. #15
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,829
    Rep Power
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I think he gives good pressers (I havent watched this one). I like hearing him talk, but, anytime he gives specifics, or close to, the voice in the back of my head says "bullshit"... and I also dont think he's trying to hide that he's selling a load of crap, either.
    Well, there's some things he just can't say and some things he shouldn't say. He's gotta play politics a little bit while trying to give information.

    AV has been on the way out since the deadline, maybe even earlier. He can't say that though because that's pretty shitty business. The fact that AV was fired 3 hours after the last game means this was a long time in the making.

    He talk about Kovalchuk, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

    Generally, my opinion is that he's been pretty damn transparent. At least as transparent as someone like him can be. I really like that. I really appreciate that. And I think this his chance to really put his stamp on the team. Almost all of Sather's guys are gone.
    GORTON 2020

  16. #16
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,829
    Rep Power
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    A lot of unknowns right now as well, Josh man. This franchise is faced right now with the fact that they're at the lowest point they've been at in quite some time, that coupled with the fact we've had depleted the cupboard in years before, and historically failed with 1st rounders like McIlrath.

    I think Gorton knows where we need to go. How long it takes to get there is going to be the variable factor in all this.

    Also add in the fact we need the right guy at the helm to do it; I think we'll get there, but it's going to be a while, that's for sure
    That's just absolutely untrue. Show me a team that hasn't missed in the first round every once in a while. Staal, Skjei, Andersson, Chytil, Kreider are all first rounders in the lineup. Let's not forget TJ Miller who was just moved -- also a 1st.
    GORTON 2020

  17. #17
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    25
    31, I can't even remember any 1st rounder we hit on under Sather. Maybe my memory is bad, but I'm trying to remember any real Earth shattering #1 pick we made that shook the world since Leetch.

    When I think back to the McIrrath pick, I really have to wonder what in god's name Sather was thinking...or his scouts. Granted the 2010 draft wasn't exactly chock full of good picks....(as a matter of fact, I think that was the year Kevin Hayes was drafted)...but good lord that was a really shitty pick. LOL

    My point is that the Rangers never go this route.

  18. #18
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,126
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    31, I can't even remember any 1st rounder we hit on under Sather. Maybe my memory is bad, but I'm trying to remember any real Earth shattering #1 pick we made that shook the world since Leetch.

    When I think back to the McIrrath pick, I really have to wonder what in god's name Sather was thinking...or his scouts. Granted the 2010 draft wasn't exactly chock full of good picks....(as a matter of fact, I think that was the year Kevin Hayes was drafted)...but good lord that was a really shitty pick. LOL

    My point is that the Rangers never go this route.
    We've had solid picks, Kreider, Staal, Miller, Skjei, (I wont go into later rounds like Buchnevich, Lundqvist, Stepan, Callahan, Dubinsky, AA, etc)
    We havent had any game breakers.

    I said all season - need a game breaker, via draft or trade.

    I think those top 3 picks could be game breakers, after that, its a total crapshoot, and no one stands out in that department.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #19
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,829
    Rep Power
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    31, I can't even remember any 1st rounder we hit on under Sather. Maybe my memory is bad, but I'm trying to remember any real Earth shattering #1 pick we made that shook the world since Leetch.

    When I think back to the McIrrath pick, I really have to wonder what in god's name Sather was thinking...or his scouts. Granted the 2010 draft wasn't exactly chock full of good picks....(as a matter of fact, I think that was the year Kevin Hayes was drafted)...but good lord that was a really shitty pick. LOL

    My point is that the Rangers never go this route.
    I mean going way back, yes. Drafting was a disaster. Blackburn, Montoya, Jessiman, Korpikoski, etc. Not great. But in recent years, they've actually done okay with what they've had in my opinion.

    That said, this year, Gorton can't miss. He just can't. He's making this team from the ground up so if he's a shitty architect we'll soon find out.
    GORTON 2020

  20. #20
    Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I just watched the whole presser with Gorts...

    I don't know what it is about his approach, but I really like it. He's just a straight shooter that knows what he wants from his squad. I can totally respect that and I support him 100%.
    I agree with you but the idea that he only decided on canning AV in recent days is 100% BS, just like that AV's post game speech didn't hasten the timing of the announcement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •