• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gorton Press Conference Recap

- Scott Arneil and Darryl Williams Fired too

- Still going to meet with Ruff

- Looking to talk to 5-10 candidates

- willing to look anywhere for highly qualified candidates

- do have certain people they want to reach out to (didn't give any)

- "I will not consider anyone who has never coached at any level."

- No timeline for new coach selection

- Looking for 'hands-on coach

- Was disappointed in certain players

- Not thinking about the new captain at this point

- liked what they saw from Chytil and Andersson

- Shatty doing well, has started his summer training program

- ADA has been skating, both should be 100% by camp

- Kreider going to world championships

- Zib, Chytil, Andersson all asked to participate not confirmed

https://www.facebook.com/nyrangers/videos/10155696738539858/

I admire and appreciate Gorton's ability to make big decisions decisively and promptly and then hold a press conference about it the next work day. I think there was a 3 year period where I didn't know if Sather was alive or dead.

No fear of facing the music...I like that! ...I trust in Gorton. He's been good so far and has done some good things so far. This draft is clutch for him though and he's gotta come up HUGE!

"I think it's more general change," Gorton told reporters on Monday. "AV's been a terrific coach in the league, he's been a really good coach for the Rangers. He was here for five years. We've had success. AV will continue to be successful. You don't coach 1,000 games in this league unless you're a good coach.

"I just think that after five years, we think it's time for a change," he added. "The players need a new voice and the organization needs a new coach as we go forward with our group. That's the decision we made."

"I think fresh is a good word," Gorton said of possible candidates who aren't household names. "We're looking for someone who can help us get back to an identity we want to get to. We're looking to go through this process and hear some ideas from people that have some thoughts, with the personnel we have and the makeup of our team going forward, that they have some ideas to help us move forward with a young group."

"I don't want to rule out anybody," he said. "I think we need to get through this sit-down as a group here and figure out exactly what we want to do and who we want to look at and what's the criteria. I don't want to rule anybody out or stop anybody from reaching out that thinks they have a chance to be the coach."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/gorton-seeking-fresh-start-for-rangers-as-coaching-search-begins/c-297827788

Really like a lot of what I heard there.

In particular

a) Will look at guys with no NHL experience (Keefe please) and

b) Will not look at guys with no coaching experience, i.e. no fucking around with Messier or similar stupidity

I just watched the whole presser with Gorts...

I don't know what it is about his approach, but I really like it. He's just a straight shooter that knows what he wants from his squad. I can totally respect that and I support him 100%.

I don't know what it is about his approach, but I really like it. He's just a straight shooter that knows what he wants from his squad. I can totally respect that and I support him 100%.

I think he gives good pressers (I havent watched this one). I like hearing him talk, but, anytime he gives specifics, or close to, the voice in the back of my head says "bullshit"... and I also dont think he's trying to hide that he's selling a load of crap, either.

A lot of unknowns right now as well, Josh man. This franchise is faced right now with the fact that they're at the lowest point they've been at in quite some time, that coupled with the fact we've had depleted the cupboard in years before, and historically failed with 1st rounders like McIlrath.

I think Gorton knows where we need to go. How long it takes to get there is going to be the variable factor in all this.

Also add in the fact we need the right guy at the helm to do it; I think we'll get there, but it's going to be a while, that's for sure

I think he gives good pressers (I havent watched this one). I like hearing him talk, but, anytime he gives specifics, or close to, the voice in the back of my head says "bullshit"... and I also dont think he's trying to hide that he's selling a load of crap, either.

Well, there's some things he just can't say and some things he shouldn't say. He's gotta play politics a little bit while trying to give information.

AV has been on the way out since the deadline, maybe even earlier. He can't say that though because that's pretty shitty business. The fact that AV was fired 3 hours after the last game means this was a long time in the making.

He talk about Kovalchuk, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Generally, my opinion is that he's been pretty damn transparent. At least as transparent as someone like him can be. I really like that. I really appreciate that. And I think this his chance to really put his stamp on the team. Almost all of Sather's guys are gone.

A lot of unknowns right now as well, Josh man. This franchise is faced right now with the fact that they're at the lowest point they've been at in quite some time, that coupled with the fact we've had depleted the cupboard in years before, and historically failed with 1st rounders like McIlrath.

I think Gorton knows where we need to go. How long it takes to get there is going to be the variable factor in all this.

Also add in the fact we need the right guy at the helm to do it; I think we'll get there, but it's going to be a while, that's for sure

That's just absolutely untrue. Show me a team that hasn't missed in the first round every once in a while. Staal, Skjei, Andersson, Chytil, Kreider are all first rounders in the lineup. Let's not forget TJ Miller who was just moved -- also a 1st.

31, I can't even remember any 1st rounder we hit on under Sather. Maybe my memory is bad, but I'm trying to remember any real Earth shattering #1 pick we made that shook the world since Leetch.

When I think back to the McIrrath pick, I really have to wonder what in god's name Sather was thinking...or his scouts. Granted the 2010 draft wasn't exactly chock full of good picks....(as a matter of fact, I think that was the year Kevin Hayes was drafted)...but good lord that was a really shitty pick. LOL

My point is that the Rangers never go this route.

31, I can't even remember any 1st rounder we hit on under Sather. Maybe my memory is bad, but I'm trying to remember any real Earth shattering #1 pick we made that shook the world since Leetch.

When I think back to the McIrrath pick, I really have to wonder what in god's name Sather was thinking...or his scouts. Granted the 2010 draft wasn't exactly chock full of good picks....(as a matter of fact, I think that was the year Kevin Hayes was drafted)...but good lord that was a really shitty pick. LOL

We've had solid picks, Kreider, Staal, Miller, Skjei, (I wont go into later rounds like Buchnevich, Lundqvist, Stepan, Callahan, Dubinsky, AA, etc)

We havent had any game breakers.

I said all season - need a game breaker, via draft or trade.

I think those top 3 picks could be game breakers, after that, its a total crapshoot, and no one stands out in that department.

I mean going way back, yes. Drafting was a disaster. Blackburn, Montoya, Jessiman, Korpikoski, etc. Not great. But in recent years, they've actually done okay with what they've had in my opinion.

That said, this year, Gorton can't miss. He just can't. He's making this team from the ground up so if he's a shitty architect we'll soon find out.

I agree with you but the idea that he only decided on canning AV in recent days is 100% BS, just like that AV's post game speech didn't hasten the timing of the announcement

Well see in a year or so, then I think it will be fair to give this guy a meaningful grade. If he misses badly on the next coach letting AV go accomplished nothing of significance. It's also not a given the two kids will be impact players next year. They may be further away . Lot's of sitting back and waiting to see how this shakes out over time. Perhaps even the entire next season.

Gorton gave AV nothing to work with, by not replacing Derrick Stepan and making questionable trades such as McDonough to Tampa who was our leader on defense, nobody Besides Stall on the defense (Skjei Maybe?)

That was this year.

What about the two that came before it?

(PS nothing was questionable about the trades he made this year. We got value)

I love Gorton. Not afraid to make the tough desicions when needed and I believe what he says. He sounds like a smart man who knows hockey and knows how to be a leader. I trust in him to do this rebuild right.

So far he has done "everything" right. Bought out G last year when he was terrible, traded Step before his clause kicked in (and we got good value). This season when the season was lost, he did the right (and not easy) thing and traded away some fan favourites and the Captain because it was the right thing to do. Not much to say about the value there either (that Nash trade is fucked up good).

Haven't been this excited about the team since 2013-2014, and thats strange considering we just finished 8th from last.

I totally disagree with the whole Derek Stepan was lord theory. The guy was a shitty skater, not great at all on face offs and as soft as a turd after white castle. Stepan is no savior, I'm sorry. His mom was hot. I'll give you that! ...and to think "Gorton gave AV nothing to work with"???

Come on....

Either you're just trolling or simply not watching.

Archived