Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kovalchuk Reportedly Getting Around $6M Per Season on Multi-Year Deal

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He’s a free agent. No tampering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not until 7/1?
    Not sure exactly. The Devils lose his rights because he is turning 35 on April 15, but I'm not sure if he becomes a UFA on that day or at the end of the current contract year (7/1)...

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    The issue with Kovalchuk is that he signed voluntary retirement papers. Upon turning 35, he can officailly re-enter the league as a UFA and come off that list. The only way to re-enter the league prior to this was to return to Jersey, be traded by them, or to negotiate a deal with another club that all other NHL teams signed off on.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not until 7/1?
    April 15th. His 35th birthday. He can't officially sign his deal until 7/1, but he can be negotiated with early, and agree in principle.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    He is officially Devils property until his 35th birthday on 4/15, and any talking to him before then would be tampering, which is exactly what Gorton pointed out in the presser. Thus, there is no deal, $6 million or otherwise, unless Gorton has been blatantly tampering, which would just be dumb, as he will have from 4/15 to 7/1 to talk to him as much as he wants before Kovy can sign.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    He is officially Devils property until his 35th birthday on 4/15, and any talking to him before then would be tampering, which is exactly what Gorton pointed out in the presser. Thus, there is no deal, $6 million or otherwise, unless Gorton has been blatantly tampering, which would just be dumb, as he will have from 4/15 to 7/1 to talk to him as much as he wants before Kovy can sign.
    This is spot on. Besides the idea of 3 years at 18 mil is absurd. If you listen to Gorton, he is telling you the same. He isn't going to negotiate against himself.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    3 years is way too long for a guy that has left the NHL for more money, and one thats especially over 35 and hasn't been in the league for a while now. I also want nothing to do with paying him $6M a year.

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    3 years is way too long for a guy that has left the NHL for more money, and one thats especially over 35 and hasn't been in the league for a while now. I also want nothing to do with paying him $6M a year.
    Any money he left for is completely irrelevant. All that matters is his value right now to the Rangers. 2 x 6 seems fine to me, especially if he can bring some Ruski cred to bring over some of his comrades

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I'll never give someone shit for leaving jersey
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

He didn't exactly leave them. It was more like a mutually beneficial divorce. He had signed a double digits long extension he was never going to play out, and they were staring down recapture penalties, albeit well down the line.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    $6 mil per year for three years for a 35 year old would be a heinous move. Two years, still bad, but maybe.

McKenzie has already said he doesn't believe for a second the Rangers will go three years. That he thinks they want one, Kovalchuk wants three, ergo they settle on two and call it a day.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Mite Division NY Chief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'll never give someone shit for leaving jersey

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    I'm okay with this. It also informs me that Shestyorkin and Rykov will be coming over during this contract period.

What it suggests to me is that we're 100% in on Tavares or some other upgrading deal that sends a Kreider or Hayes-like player + a prospect and/or a pick for a young certifiable upgrade.

This isn't signing Jagr in 2018. This is signing Jagr in 2006.
    Please not Kreider, or we are bereft of punch, physical presence, and meaningful netfront presence upfront to make Tavares worth signing in the first place ... or it ain't worth it for him to come here. (Not accepting Kovachuk as part of any rationale/equation to trade Kreider, either., just sayin').
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    McKenzie has already said he doesn't believe for a second the Rangers will go three years. That he thinks they want one, Kovalchuk wants three, ergo they settle on two and call it a day.
    Tweet: Deal!

P.S. Is this US - Russia trade subject to any unforeseen embargos, tariffs, collusion or vetos?
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Deleted Midget Division
    He's 35

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    He's 35
    No commitment
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Please not Kreider, or we are bereft of punch, physical presence, and meaningful netfront presence upfront.
    Kreider offers this in theory. In reality he needs to make his speed, size and power count a hell of a lot more than what is currently on the table.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Hopefully a new coach can light a fire under Kreider that keeps up his consistency. He's not a pure goal scorer but he can cause a lot of havoc with his speed/size and pot a some garbage goals as well.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234