• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kovalchuk Reportedly Getting Around $6M Per Season on Multi-Year Deal

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking must be they will have the cap room for 2 years and OFFENSE. Precludes any reunion with Grabner. But really what's the rush; at the end of the playoffs there will be a glut of free agents who would be more useful and cheaper.As to his talent, is a 34/35 year old guy going to be the offensive player he was with NJD? ANd Kovalachuk appears to not want to go anywhere else in the NHL. Heck, he's already got a white away jersey even. Smells a lot like a lot of old guy signings from the bad old days.

Hmm, yeah - this really puts the strategic direction of the Rangers into question. Right now everything should be geared towards rebuilding for at least the rest of 2018 with the only acceptable temptation being John Tavares.

The only plan I can think of, is one where Kovalchuk mentors Buch for half a year and is then flipped to a contender at the deadline.

Hmm, yeah - this really puts the strategic direction of the Rangers into question. Right now everything should be geared towards rebuilding for at least the rest of 2018 with the only acceptable temptation being John Tavares.

The only plan I can think of, is one where Kovalchuk mentors Buch for half a year and is then flipped to a contender at the deadline.

For 2/3 years there's no harm in Kovalchuk. Only young forwards that need a spot next year are Chytil and Andersson.

To me Kovalchuk means the following things are more likely:

1) First step in the pitch to Tavares

2) One of Hayes/Zib will be traded to make room for Tavares

3) 2 of Kreider, Zucc, Spooner, and Names will be traded

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/652346

While the D ^here isn't much changed, if you get some combo of a bounce back year from Skjei, improvement from Pionk, a healthy Shatty, and a healthy ADA then you're better off than this past year. What you're really doing though is buying a year for Lindgren, Hajek, and Day (yes Dunny) to play in the A, plus one year closer to Rykov, plus I'm sure at least one of our 1st's this year is a D.

Just because it worked with jagr means nothing when it comes to Kovalchuk. At two years it’s not a big deal. From what I’ve heard through different stories is that his teammates love him. Brodeur praised him. Nothing about him excites me but as long as signing him doesn’t change the process in which this team goes about building in on with it. One more thing he cannot get a ntc. That is a deal breaker. I would give him another year before that. If that is a demand then it’s a hard pass

I wouldn’t have a problem with this. It’s not like we’re breaking the bank for him and let’s not forget that on the ice he was full value for his ridiculous contract before his unceremonious departure. 6m could end up being a bargain.

I'm okay with this. It also informs me that Shestyorkin and Rykov will be coming over during this contract period.

What it suggests to me is that we're 100% in on Tavares or some other upgrading deal that sends a Kreider or Hayes-like player + a prospect and/or a pick for a young certifiable upgrade.

This isn't signing Jagr in 2018. This is signing Jagr in 2006.

Don't see the problem with this. He obviously wanted to be a Ranger pretty bad if he's agreeing to a deal nearly 3 months before he can sign and without knowing who the coach will be. It doesn't "hurt the rebuild" if Buch goes from playing with McCleod to Kovalchuk (AV is gone, but still).

Don't see the problem with this. He obviously wanted to be a Ranger pretty bad if he's agreeing to a deal nearly 3 months before he can sign and without knowing who the coach will be. It doesn't "hurt the rebuild" if Buch goes from playing with McCleod to Kovalchuk (AV is gone, but still).

Kovy gets a bad wrap.

I've always seen his exit from NJ as more of a mutually beneficial arrangement than anything due to the circumvention.

Archived