Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers’ Coaching Options Now That Vigneault Is Axed

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Yes, but then you actually have to play young guys. Tortarella falls back on the old guys like AV every f__in' time. Example of very recent vintage; Torts played old guys over Milano this last CBJ playoff series despite Milano being hot as a pistol coming down the stretch.How to be a pro is great, but doesn't mean much unless they play. Which is why he thought Zucc was useless.
    Probably has nothing to do with using ice time as a reward or putting players in a position to succeed and develop. Nah. None of that. (And Zucc wasn't a complete player when he got here. Not sure where you saw anyone call him useless)

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Probably has nothing to do with using ice time as a reward or putting players in a position to succeed and develop. Nah. None of that. (And Zucc wasn't a complete player when he got here. Not sure where you saw anyone call him useless)
    Neither was Kreider. Evidence? AV cut him. Lol.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    Was a huge Torts fan myself. The road to the winter classic special against Philly was AMAZING entertainment and he helped rebuild a lackluster roster into a playoff team utilizing the assets he had and making a system around the assets as opposed to AV's square peg into a round hole approach.

With that said, I'm looking forward to a coach from college or minor leagues whom has a track record of developing young talent with the same type of coaching flexibility to adapt to the assets he has been given. Not versed enough to know who that is but sure hope Gorton can find him.
    Mehhhh, Torts never adapted to his newer rosters. The Rangers aquired skill, but I guess he felt they were too soft. Why not change the game plan away from what it was in an effort to suit guys like Gaborik, Nash, Richard's Zucc, and so on? He'd rather dump and chase then demoralize the skill players for being soft and not being able to be creative in such a game plan.

Loved his fire. Loved how he changed the locker room mentality. But much like AV he was stubborn in adapting. I think that is why the locker room turned on him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Mehhhh, Torts never adapted to his newer rosters. The Rangers aquired skill, but I guess he felt they were too soft. Why not change the game plan away from what it was in an effort to suit guys like Gaborik, Nash, Richard's Zucc, and so on? He'd rather dump and chase then demoralize the skill players for being soft and not being able to be creative in such a game plan.

Loved his fire. Loved how he changed the locker room mentality. But much like AV he was stubborn in adapting. I think that is why the locker room turned on him.
    Gaborik scored 40. Stop.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Gaborik scored 40. Stop.
    And was ridiculed for being "soft", constantly. Saw it a couple of times on camera during that HBO special for the winter classic.

I guess you have a point in that he did score within the system. Just seemed to not fit the players he eventually wound up with, as they ran him out of town. There were lots of complaints and from what I remember it wasn't all about Torts being Torts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    And was ridiculed for being "soft", constantly. Saw it a couple of times on camera during that HBO special for the winter classic.

I guess you have a point in that he did score within the system. Just seemed to not fit the players he eventually wound up with, as they ran him out of town. There were lots of complaints and from what I remember it wasn't all about Torts being Torts.
    Gaborik actually scored 40 twice. Had the 1st and 3rd bedt years of his career under Torts.

Kreider was not ready yet, and Slats was forcing him on JT. I would say when AV cut him the following year, that was a pretty clear indication Torts was right.

Nash: 21-21-42 in 44 games under JT

Callahan: Never came close to his career year with JT. 29 goals, I believe.

Zuc: Wasn’t ready yet

Misconception about Torts is that he hates the kids and only plays vets. Completely false. He rides guys, but everyone is a cunt now, so he needs to adjust in that regard.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Perceived leadership problem. Perceived lack of toughness. That is what’s coming from the brass of this team. There is no doubt that either of those issues wouldn’t be handled under torts. He’s not perfect but this team is far from the team that promoted his firing. They need an adult to ride them. They need a strong voice from the coach. They need structure. It doesn’t have to be torts but it needs to be someone who isn’t afraid to point the discipline at whomever deserves it s rookie or a 10 year vet. This teams play, indifference to defensive zone coverage, and turnovers has earned them a coach like torts.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Gaborik scored 40. Stop.
    Twice if I remember correctly
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Perceived leadership problem. Perceived lack of toughness. That is what’s coming from the brass of this team. There is no doubt that either of those issues wouldn’t be handled under torts. He’s not perfect but this team is far from the team that promoted his firing. They need an adult to ride them. They need a strong voice from the coach. They need structure. It doesn’t have to be torts but it needs to be someone who isn’t afraid to point the discipline at whomever deserves it s rookie or a 10 year vet. This teams play, indifference to defensive zone coverage, and turnovers has earned them a coach like torts.
    Every coach has favorites. Every coach leans one way more than another. Discipline is handled differently for different players, always has, always will be, always should be. The idea is to get it to work. Torts made it work. His rosters here up front were dog shit, so he played to the strengths of what he had ... defense and goaltending.

Offense isn’t coached, it’s created. Guys can create it under any coach if they’re good enough, like Gaborik. Problem was he had Gaborik and then Callahan as the next best guy out of 12 forwards. Pretty big drop off. These idiots who complain about dump and chase really had no idea what they’re talking about. There hasn’t been a team since hockey was invented that don’t chip pucks in and go get them. The disconnect is from idiots who learned hockey from X-box where no one chips pucks in, yet they score 6 goals a game playing that way. Must work, right? Idiots. /Rant.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Getting back to the thread topic ... Has Quinn been officially crossed off? I’m hearing 2nd hand info from someone around Quinn that he loves BU, has a sick apartment overlooking the river, but would still be interested. I posted here a couple of weeks ago that he’d want a lot of money. No idea if the Rangers would meet his price, but I can’t blame him for not wanting to leave college. There’s a reason why all the greats stay where they are. They have full control. They don’t have to deal with primadonnas, and they don’t go scouting on their own. They still get paid very well. What’s better?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Plus the season isn’t as long and much less travel.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    In that Conference there's less travel than a Swiss team, and less games than the local Pee Wee team. You're only leaving for Ego/Ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Plus the season isn’t as long and much less travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    In that Conference there's less travel than a Swiss team, and less games than the local Pee Wee team. You're only leaving for Ego/Ambition.
    True, true. That’s a huge fact I left out. As a midget coach, I’m sick of all our travel, and we have more miles than college teams, and play a lot more games.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Torts sucks balls, keep him the F away forever

Ditto for AV times 2

HNIC BSBH Legend

Gerard Gallant
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Gerard Gallant
    Still has to be one of the dumbest firings in NHL history. What was Florida thinking?!

Anyone getting the feeling that we are floundering here a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    dont look at me. i didnt say anything....

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    Anyone getting the feeling that we are floundering here a bit?
    No.

There is no rush to hire anyone. There are no other teams with openings. We have the pick of whoever we want at this point.
    GORTON 2020

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast