Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    What about taking on Ryan's AND Cally's contracts?

Tampa Sends Sergachev+ B lister/Picks to Ottawa; Tampa sends a useful piece (TBD) to New York + Guarantees 1st; Ottawa sends Formenton to New York; New York sends a 2nd to Ottawa
    Doesnt sound like itd be enough for NYR to do that, or enough for Ottawa to trade Karlsson. A guaranteed 1st/Formenton/TBD from TB probably gets me to bite on taking back Callahan (without losing a 2nd rounder either). No way I take Ryan also for that.

Senior Member Midget Division

Tampa Sends Sergachev+ B lister/Picks to Ottawa; Tampa sends a useful piece (TBD) to New York + Guarantees 1st; Ottawa sends Formenton to New York; New York sends a 2nd to Ottawa
    Dunny you are going to hate this but... I love it! Was thinking the exact same thing. Ottawa wants something else. Tampa can't take Ryan. We take Ryan and Cally.

So we get Formenton and we need two pieces from Tampa. Here are fair pieces for the Rangers, though I doubt Tampa chooses 2,3, or 4:
    1. Auto upgrade pick to a first.
    2. Anthony Cirelli
    3. Cal Foote
    4. Yanni Gourde (this would save Tampa $)
    5. Boris Katchouk
    6. Taylor Raddysh

MC51, Bobby Ryan is not the worst guy or contract to take on. And he isn't slow and poison like Lucic We get 3 new legit pieces for our future and decent character, for cap space. Have you found a better use of our cap space yet?
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Moderator Junior Division

I don't hate it, but I think that would really depend on what (TBD) ends up being lol.

Effectively adding Formenton AND Raddysh/Katchouk for Bobby Ryan would be a good deal for the Rangers. Cally gets you the pick, basically, but that's fine because his contract isn't prohibitive in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I don't hate it, but I think that would really depend on what (TBD) ends up being lol.

Effectively adding Formenton AND Raddysh/Katchouk for Bobby Ryan would be a good deal for the Rangers. Cally gets you the pick, basically, but that's fine because his contract isn't prohibitive in the future.
    Well, do you object to any of the six TBD's suggested?

Just because you have cap space this season doesn't mean you should commit to 4 years of a junk contract. I'd like to think in 2 years we would be in a position where adding a good UFA or two would put us in a position to be competitive. I don't want Bobby Ryan to prevent us from doing so. The return has to be excellent to consider it. An upgrade from a conditional 1st/2nd to a guaranteed 1st...which will be a later first...a nd 1-2 decent prospects is not good enough to me for both Callahan and Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Just because you have cap space this season doesn't mean you should commit to 4 years of a junk contract. I'd like to think in 2 years we would be in a position where adding a good UFA or two would put us in a position to be competitive. I don't want Bobby Ryan to prevent us from doing so. The return has to be excellent to consider it. An upgrade from a conditional 1st/2nd to a guaranteed 1st...which will be a later first...a nd 1-2 decent prospects is not good enough to me for both Callahan and Ryan.
    Fair enough, but understand we want and are talking about 2 good prospects, not "1-2 decent ones". Also, a #1 pick even if it is pick #29 is light years better than pick #60. In next years draft, #29 is a real player, pick #60 is almost a longshot to play 200 NHL games.

So overall we are getting 3 good prospects/assets for helping make this trade happen. As you said, Cally is immaterial. It is a homerun and likely won't happen.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Fair enough, but understand we want and are talking about 2 good prospects, not "1-2 decent ones". Also, a #1 pick even if it is pick #29 is light years better than pick #60. In next years draft, #29 is a real player, pick #60 is almost a longshot to play 200 NHL games.

So overall we are getting 3 good prospects/assets for helping make this trade happen. As you said, Cally is immaterial. It is a homerun and likely won't happen.
    Honestly my only hesitation on Callahan is the grudge I hold against him. His contract and the kind of player he is, is perfect for our current situation.

Well, do you object to any of the six TBD's suggested?
    Well the upgrade to the guaranteed first was part of Dunny's, but I don't like Gourde or Foote.

For me to take on both Ryan and Callahan...

Formenton
    Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli
    TB Guaranteed 1st.

I can live with that, but I'm not sending OTT a 2nd.

unless we get blown away on the return i'd shy away from taking on dead salary at this point. certainly not for the prospect of helping tampa bay becoming anymore of a power house than they already are.
    Acqua in bocca

Well the upgrade to the guaranteed first was part of Dunny's, but I don't like Gourde or Foote.

For me to take on both Ryan and Callahan...

Formenton
    Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli
    TB Guaranteed 1st.

I can live with that, but I'm not sending OTT a 2nd.
    Fair. Actually perfect.

Well if I must disagree with something, Foote belongs in the Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli group. I'd bet Yzerman would be least likely to include Foote out of all the options. Especially if Sergachev is going to Ottawa.

You/we will see soon. Foote is probably a year away and his arrow continues to point up. He has a high floor and a reasonably high ceiling given his size, smarts and now improved skating.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Not taking on a contract unless its coming with a star player or can't miss prospect.

I haven't seen any realistic proposals worthy of taking on the salary of either Ryan or Ryan.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    unless we get blown away on the return i'd shy away from taking on dead salary at this point. certainly not for the prospect of helping tampa bay becoming anymore of a power house than they already are.
    Yeah, but in getting 2 very good prospects (plus Ottawa is getting paid too) we are gutting their future. Add something from Ottawa and man our future is looking bright. What a turnaround in our system and accelerated rebuild. Plus we still have more assets and some vets still to trade.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-11-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Fair. Actually perfect.

Well if I must disagree with something, Foote belongs in the Katchouk/Raddysh/Cirelli group. I'd bet Yzerman would be least likely to include Foote out of all the options. Especially if Sergachev is going to Ottawa.

You/we will see soon. Foote is probably a year away and his arrow continues to point up. He has a high floor and a reasonably high ceiling given his size, smarts and now improved skating.
    I don't think Foote is a significantly better prospect than any of Hajek, Lindgren, Lundqvist or Miller and Reunanen, Sjalin and Day all have NHL potential, to varying degrees.. Add those 7 to Skjei, Pionk and ADA, and you've got 10 middle/bottom pair defensemen.

The Rangers need gamebreakers and wingers. Foote is neither.
    Last edited by Future; 07-11-2018 at 12:22 PM.

I don't think Foote is a significantly better prospect than any of Hajek, Lindgren, Lundqvist or Miller and Reunanen, Sjalin and Day all have NHL potential, to varying degrees.. Add those 7 to Skjei, Pionk and ADA, and you've got 10 middle/bottom pair defensemen.

The Rangers need gamebreakers and wingers. Foote is neither.
    Well yeah he is neither a gamebreaker or winger. Nothing wrong with preferring the other options. Yet, looking for a different type of player is no reason to denigrate his prospects.

There is a reason Foote is more highly valued to Yzerman than any Ranger Dman you mentioned besides Skjei. Foote was off limits to us, Hajek was not. No knock on Hajek, I'm optimistic about him. Foote was selected in the middle of last year's 1st round and so far it looks like a good pick. Dmen who have top 4 written all over them (no red flags) are very highly valued. Your projections seem to undervalue him.

Well yeah he is neither a gamebreaker or winger. Nothing wrong with preferring the other options. Yet, looking for a different type of player is no reason to denigrate his prospects.

There is a reason Foote is more highly valued to Yzerman than any Ranger Dman you mentioned besides Skjei. Foote was off limits to us, Hajek was not. No knock on Hajek, I'm optimistic about him. Foote was selected in the middle of last year's 1st round and so far it looks like a good pick. Dmen who have top 4 written all over them (no red flags) are very highly valued. Your projections seem to undervalue him.
    Where did Yzerman say that?

And I didn't denigrate his prospects...he has no more upside than any of the guys I compared him to. Certainly less than Miller. Foote is a high floor, low ceiling pick who has red flags - he's not a great skater and hasn't produced at 5v5. He might not even have been a first rounder this year, last year was a much weaker draft class for defensemen.
    Last edited by Future; 07-11-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Definitely need wingers back in return for taking on either of those contracts. The Rangers have about 6,347 D men in the system. Time to stock up on wingers. What do these two teams have to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Definitely need wingers back in return for taking on either of those contracts. The Rangers have about 6,347 D men in the system. Time to stock up on wingers. What do these two teams have to offer?
    I named 3 wingers I like. Dunny named one from Ottawa who is a good prospect. There is Tampa's first too, which was also discussed. We've yet to deplete Tampa's stock.

Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Unless Tampa & Ottawa are giving us can't miss prospects that aren't bottom pair defensemen or bottom six forwards I rather keep the cap space and not help Tampa get stronger.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    Unless Tampa & Ottawa are giving us can't miss prospects that aren't bottom pair defensemen or bottom six forwards I rather keep the cap space and not help Tampa get stronger.
    Tampa will be older and less potent by the time we're ready to compete. They can't keep their top talent locked up forever unless significant cap increases happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tampa will be older and less potent by the time we're ready to compete. They can't keep their top talent locked up forever unless significant cap increases happen.
    Their top talent is already locked up forever. Stamkos, Kuch, Miller, Killorn, Johnson, Hedman and Mac are already locked up through at least 22-23. Assuming no other roster changes or cap increases, they're ~13.5m under the cap next year with only Point, Sergachev and maybe Stralman to sign.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast