Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Senior Member Bantam Division
    What does any other past player have to do with Wahlstrom?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I love the use of that argument
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    If Wahlstrom (and Tkachuk) is gone at #9 I would consider trading down. Between 9-13 its really close who's BPA and maybe someone with a later pick likes someone still on board.

In 2007 Sharks traded pick #13 and pick #44 for pick #9. I would do that deal if Wahlstrom and Tkachuk is off the board at #9. Could potentially get a good player at 44 or even use that pick later to trade up if mgmt likes someone still on board. At 13 we would still get a good player (Kotkaniemi, Smith, Velano, Farabee, Kravtsov, Hayton).

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I hope wahlstrom is gone by 9. Being that the people who want him are right on here about never.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I think it's safe to say, no matter who we draft there will be fans who don't like it.

I can't pretend to have watched Tkachuk play live and I don't think many of us here have. He's highly touted. 4-9 seems to be a total toss up from what I've read anyway.
    It's not about having seen him play live. Do you require detailed person experience for every life decision you make?

It's about trusting the scouts who do watch these guys every game, and believing them when their projections are generally on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If our coach is preaching defense, do we want to see Wahlstrom picked at 9 (supposed floater according to Giac in another thread) instead of trading up for Tkachuk? Or do we want to go with Dobson over Wahlstrom.

Do the Rangers risk missing on this pick? As good as Wahlstrom is said to be, haven't there been guys like him in past drafts that just became nothing?

I'm getting nervous about drafting skill players with this pick. Very high possibility of a bust.

Trade up for Tkachuk.
    To be clear, I'm more and more impressed with the top 9 or so prospects. Why? This is the first time I don't see any of them busting. Honestly, the more I see Wahlstrom the more he impresses. I watched every Wahlstrom shift from the 2018 IIHF versus Canada, Russia, Finland and Belarus. Also watched 3 hours of the combine. Here's what I saw:

Obviously, his shooting is elite, but he also gets himself in good areas to shoot because he is a really good skater. He is definitely more than one dimensional scorer in that his skating isn't like Brock Boesser, but more like Tarrasenko. Here's the kicker though, he is very underrated as a stick handler and I really noticed his ability to skate quickly into tight spaces and execute a play or shot out of his possessions in the Ozone. He can dangle against good competition and this was a bit of a surprise.

Other noticeable assets include his size and frame. He tested well at the combine, looking like he could pack more muscle on a flexible good frame. He has some length and can use his size to protect the puck. Occasionally he puts his frame and speed to work on the forecheck and creates pressure.

In the interview I posted, he mentions his weaknesses... playing off the puck. Like many snipers he can get focused on where to position himself for the next possible opportunity, leaving the backchecking and 200' game to Farabee, who is a work horse and animal up and down the ice. He also may be spoiled having Hughes center his line who is the surefire #1 Overall pick in 2019. Hughes makes it enticing to be thinking offense all the time, especially with his smooth quick creativity. It would be easy to get sucked into floating around waiting for Farabee and Hughes to gain control. Even so, Wahlstrom will need to work on his D, even with a decent forecheck. My only worry is the Barzal effect. Hughes really makes everyone better and so does Farabee, always going at 100 mph.

The more I see Wahlstrom, the more I understand why 'scouts' are excited. One team said he is much closer to the top 3 forwards than any forward behind him. Can't disagree, I think he will become a top line player very quickly. I'll be happy if he is a Ranger at #9. He stands out.

Tkachuk is a completely different player who I have watched a lot. His shifts in the IIHF are available and many of his BU games were televised, especially their playoff games, which I saw live. He's underrated at some aspects of the game and I think he's going to be better than his brother. For instance, his skating. Not just good speed, but he has some finesse moves in tight spaces that you didn't see out of the two other Tkachuks. He will actually fake the shot hen make the inside/outside move to get a step on the Dman. He can work the half wall much better too.

Tkachuk is also a very good passer with a very high hockey IQ. After you listen to him, it's becomes apparent that he hasn't come close to scratching his potential mentally. The things he plans to get better at are so cerebral and also physical that one becomes confident that he will get better at everything.

His toughness isn't as much of a shit stirrer as his brother, though he is adamant about protecting his teammates. His tough game is comparable to Keith meets Andreychuk in front of the net. He makes himself immovable in front. He is so mentally tough (growing up as he did) that he gets himself between the dots EVERY TIME he's on the ice. He does not care what kind of beating he takes. He works on screens and deflections. His forecheck is disruptive and causes serious turnover problems for the opposition. His D is solid. He takes the body when it makes sense, but doesn't put himself out of position trying to 'make' a check.

Finally, his body is gangling and he actually looks skinny. Even more than Wahlstrom, this kid has room to get much stronger as he becomes a man. It will be scary. I could see him have a few 40 goal seasons because he puts himself and the puck into dangerous areas constantly. He could play for us next year, or he could go back to BU for one more year. He says he'll do what the team that drafts him wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I donít want to trade up for anybody. I want them to take the best player available at 9. Iíd rather them use their picks rather than trade them. They will get a great prospect at 9. With all the other picks they will even with dumb luck hit on a couple more. That would be a success. I donít want any player in particular. There are guys I like more than others but they are kids who knows what they are four years from now compared to their peers.

Most here base this discussion on what theyíve read about these kids. They have maybe seen them okay a handful of games. Iím included in this group. Yet everyone is an expert. Keep the picks, itís regarded as a deep draft. Pick the best guy available according to the ranger scouts. They finally have picks let them do their job.
    I'm with you 100% on this Franny!

Let's build a team that has some future to it. We have to totally restock the pond, and also we have some older players that still have to play out their time here. Over the next few seasons as Hank, Staal and the like play out their contracts, we should have time to compile some high draft picks and make some deals at the next few trade deadlines to revamp the farm system and bring some solid young talent here. I'm still figuring that we're about 3 seasons from really getting it back on track.

This franchise was in some serious deep shit with their lack of depth in their farm system. We now have a younger GM, young coach, and a direction. I just feel like it's going to take some time to rebuild it all again and I'm not exactly planning on this year's team being a playoff team by any means.

It's going to be painful at times I bet, frustrating as well. But I'm promising to keep reminding myself that it's to build it all for 3 years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    If Wahlstrom (and Tkachuk) is gone at #9 I would consider trading down. Between 9-13 its really close who's BPA and maybe someone with a later pick likes someone still on board.

In 2007 Sharks traded pick #13 and pick #44 for pick #9. I would do that deal if Wahlstrom and Tkachuk is off the board at #9. Could potentially get a good player at 44 or even use that pick later to trade up if mgmt likes someone still on board. At 13 we would still get a good player (Kotkaniemi, Smith, Velano, Farabee, Kravtsov, Hayton).
    Hate the idea of trading down, this draft. No way at 9. Hard picking between 5 through 9, they all are super enticing. This is a good thing. Even if Kot jumps into the top 9, that allows us to have our pick from two or more top prospects. It is not worth the risk to hope one of these impact prospects drops more than a couple of slots.

Right now, Rasmus is the clear #1, Svech unanimous #2, Zadina my #3 and Tkachuk at #4. After that, take your pick of Hughes, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Dobson and Bouchard. Montreal seems desperate for Kot. Ottawa could have their pick of the dmen, over Tkachuk, given Karlsson. The announcers at the combine are convinced Dobson has jumped into the top 5.
    Trades may happen. Players may drop simply because of need or idiosyncratic preference. Do not trade down. Rather try to add a top 10 pick

If anything trade up to grab Hayton, Kratsov, Farabee, Kupari, Smith. Whoever, drops into the mid to late teens that our scouts like unanimously. Use a roster player and/or both our 3rds to improve any of our top 5 picks. Lots of good prospects in the second round, this year. It's great to have 5 of the first 48 picks and if we can improve any of those, fantastic.

I'm trusting in Gorton, Drury, Quinn and our scouts, especially once we get one of my top 9.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 06-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.

I don't like it.
    If Wahlstrom isn't on the board at 9 it's highly likely that one out of Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist are still there. Whatever happens in front of us, 9 will be a great pick. We should keep it.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I've said before, I'm good with keeping 9, and then try using other picks to get another pick in the 15-20 range.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Shockingly you don’t get it
    Not shockingly, you don't get it.

You are far better off just admitting your affinity for the player. It's just easier that way.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I've said before, I'm good with keeping 9, and then try using other picks to get another pick in the 15-20 range.
    Iím agree with this. Either keep all 3 first rounders or trade the later 2 to move higher in the first.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    For those who have The Athletic, can you let us know who they have the Rangers taking in their mock draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    For those who have The Athletic, can you let us know who they have the Rangers taking in their mock draft?
    Scott Wheeler has us taking Kotkaniemi.
    Edit sorry he has Kot rated at 9. Haven’t seen the mock draft.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 06-12-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not shockingly, you don't get it.

You are far better off just admitting your affinity for the player. It's just easier that way.
    And if you admit to your feelings on the opposite side of the spectrum we’ll be all good.

Athletic mock draft:

Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    Zadina
    Bouchard
    Tkachuk
    Hughes
    Boqvist
    Wahlstrom
    Kotkaniemi

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If our coach is preaching defense, do we want to see Wahlstrom picked at 9 (supposed floater according to Giac in another thread) instead of trading up for Tkachuk? Or do we want to go with Dobson over Wahlstrom.

Do the Rangers risk missing on this pick? As good as Wahlstrom is said to be, haven't there been guys like him in past drafts that just became nothing?

I'm getting nervous about drafting skill players with this pick. Very high possibility of a bust.

Trade up for Tkachuk.
    And this is why you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It's not about having seen him play live. Do you require detailed person experience for every life decision you make?

It's about trusting the scouts who do watch these guys every game, and believing them when their projections are generally on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Sure. Then trading up to get him wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
    GORTON 2020

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure. Then trading up to get him wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
    Yeah, if your spectrum for risk only has two zones – "good" and "worst thing in the world". I don't subscribe to that mentality at all.

To me, if they move say 9, Buchnevich, and 26 for 3 to take him and leave Zadina on the board, they'll be worse off for it. Significantly.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I wouldn't trade down. I would still take BPA at #9. There is a thing about having too many picks in one particular draft, especially if several of them crack the lineup at the same time. I think the Rangers have the maximum amount of picks that they want in this year's draft.

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast