Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, if your spectrum for risk only has two zones – "good" and "worst thing in the world". I don't subscribe to that mentality at all.

To me, if they move say 9, Buchnevich, and 26 for 3 to take him and leave Zadina on the board, they'll be worse off for it. Significantly.
    Yeah, agreed. But you’re also saying you’re not taking him in the top 5 and you’re only taking him at #9 if Wahlstrom is off the board. That doesn’t really tally with trusting the scouts in all fairness.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    If the Rangers had the fourth or fifth overall pick, I'd be fine—perfectly fine—with them taking Tkachuk. It's the fact that they'll almost certainly have to trade up to get him that I'm fearful of, because that adds to the "cost". It's not longer a question of "is Tkachuk worth taking a four or five?" but "is Tkachuk worth taking at four or five after trading nine, 26, and Pavel Buchnevich to acquire that pick?"

The answer to the latter, at least to me, is an emphatic no.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Agreed.
    You seemed to be on board with Pete’s post earlier, maybe I misunderstood.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 06-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not shockingly, you don't get it.

You are far better off just admitting your affinity for the player. It's just easier that way.
    Iím not trading down for him or anyone else, thatís how much I like him. Great point though.

So everybody has read the pundits mock drafts and we all have our opinions. Has anybody heard any credible rumor of who the rangers scouts like?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    If the Rangers had the fourth or fifth overall pick, I'd be fine—perfectly fine—with them taking Tkachuk. It's the fact that they'll almost certainly have to trade up to get him that I'm fearful of, because that adds to the "cost". It's not longer a question of "is Tkachuk worth taking a four or five?" but "is Tkachuk worth taking at four or five after trading nine, 26, and Pavel Buchnevich to acquire that pick?"

The answer to the latter, at least to me, is an emphatic no.
    Sure, I think that's an obvious "no" from me as well. But should the Rangers trade #9 and #28 to move up to #4 or #5, I think I'd be okay with it.

However, there is no scenario where I'd be okay moving all three 1st round picks. Personally, I think they need at least two this year.
    GORTON 2020

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    So everybody has read the pundits mock drafts and we all have our opinions. Has anybody heard any credible rumor of who the rangers scouts like?
    Rangers management usually speaks very little, and give vanilla answers, regarding where they stand on picks.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure, I think that's an obvious "no" from me as well. But should the Rangers trade #9 and #28 to move up to #4 or #5, I think I'd be okay with it.

However, there is no scenario where I'd be okay moving all three 1st round picks. Personally, I think they need at least two this year.
    OK, and that's not happening. Think of it from the perspective of the other team. What benefit do the Sens or Yotes gain by moving out of the top-5 to add a late pick?

I think you, and others, are underestimating the average cost to move up.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    What does any other past player have to do with Wahlstrom?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Fear of one dimensional busts. If you think he's more of a can't miss than, it'd be cool to just say so.

I'm getting nervous about taking a one dimensional skill player with the 9th pick or higher.

If you have some comforting words to suggest he's a better pick at 9 than a Tkachuk at 5 or 6, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Thankfully no, nothing. I hope no one has a clue, that can only work to our advantage. Lock that shit down.

The only info that is believable is the stuff that leaked from the teams:
    Carolina is selecting Svech

Canadians will sell their soul for a C or two. They also did not mask their interest in Kot. They also need Dmen.

Detroit is enamored with Bouchard, everyone agrees. Rumors are they also like Zadina, Hughes and Kot. Maybe the Kot dinner was to get Montreal to swap picks so they can get Zadina at a small price?

This didn't come from the team, but it seems believable that Ottawa is spending a lot of time evaluating the 3 speedy dmen. They'll have their pick of the litter. I feel like they are going to take Hughes or Dobson. Some think Boqvist due to the Karlsson lite comparisons.

With the news out of Ottawa you would think it’s very likely Karlsson is traded. I pray to god that Gorton keeps his head.

With the news out of Ottawa you would think it’s very likely Karlsson is traded. I pray to god that Gorton keeps his head.
    I hear ya on Ottawa, such an interesting situation. Karlsson gone or not they may have their heads deep in Dmen. Wonder how they feel about Tkachuk or what they'd do if the Habs take Kot, leaving Zadina there for them.

Looks like Kovy may go west and we can keep more cap flexibility. Let's hope Gorton isn't pressed by Sather or Dolan to go after Karlsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    I hear ya on Ottawa, such an interesting situation. Karlsson gone or not they may have their heads deep in Dmen. Wonder how they feel about Tkachuk or what they'd do if the Habs take Kot, leaving Zadina there for them.

Looks like Kovy may go west and we can keep more cap flexibility. Let's hope Gorton isn't pressed by Sather or Dolan to go after Karlsson.
    Not sure where you heard that but NYR is on his list of 4 teams as of yesterday. SJ, LA, BOS, NYR. That's per Custance.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Not sure where you heard that but NYR is on his list of 4 teams as of yesterday. SJ, LA, BOS, NYR. That's per Custance.
    Probably based on the fact he was in CA already and met with both teams this past weekend. Just means he met with them first, doesn't rule NY or Boston out. From a winning a cup perspective IF that's important to him Bos and SJ are better choices, if it's about the limelight well LA or NY will win out if the offers are similar. Not a guy I would get into a bidding war for regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Probably based on the fact he was in CA already and met with both teams this past weekend. Just means he met with them first, doesn't rule NY or Boston out. From a winning a cup perspective IF that's important to him Bos and SJ are better choices, if it's about the limelight well LA or NY will win out if the offers are similar. Not a guy I would get into a bidding war for regardless.
    Definitely not. He has a house still in NJ. I think he likes the tri-state area. Honestly, that's all NYR can offer. They're not winning a cup next season.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Exactly. On top of the fact that he got a new agent and a rumor had numbers north of 7 mil per. Too rich for me.

I'd rather use that cap to take Booby Ryan and pick #4 for 26 and next years Tampa pick. Melnyk is insane. Maybe now they keep Karlsson and Melnyk thinks this is the only way to get out of paying Ryan. Just one example of using cap space to find top talent.

More and more talk that Kovalchuk wants to win a cup and is looking at a contender first and foremost.

Exactly. On top of the fact that he got a new agent and a rumor had numbers north of 7 mil per. Too rich for me.
    God bless him if he gets anywhere near 7 mil but ffs I hope we instantly tell him to piss off and to go f himself.

I'd rather use that cap to take Booby Ryan and pick #4 for 26 and next years Tampa pick. Melnyk is insane. Maybe now they keep Karlsson and Melnyk thinks this is the only way to get out of paying Ryan. Just one example of using cap space to find top talent.
    According to whom? "A rumor" is baseless.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

So was the talk earlier around here that some threw out there of maybe getting him for 3.5 per on a 2 year deal. If I'm betting he's going in asking closer to 7 per than 3.5.

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast