Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 669

Thread: 2018 Off-Season Thread: #TradeSzn

  1. #141
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,399
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    BPA. Always. No matter the situation. I'd rather have an abundance of assets to trade for what they need than to draft based on needs that can change on a whim.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Problem is, when have the Rangers done this in the first round?

  2. #142
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    2007
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #143
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,492
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Problem is, when have the Rangers done this in the first round?
    Agree with this. We seldom ever follow the BPA strategy. We always seem to draft a player that indicates we think we know better than every other scouting service out there.

  4. #144
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    Most teams will take biggest impact player over best available player in the first round.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  5. #145
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Agree with this. We seldom ever follow the BPA strategy. We always seem to draft a player that indicates we think we know better than every other scouting service out there.
    This isn't true.

  6. #146
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,708
    Rep Power
    406
    They've tried to outsmart the scouts a few times. But not always. Miller, Kreider, Staal, Skjei, etc were all fine picks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #147
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They've tried to outsmart the scouts a few times. But not always. Miller, Kreider, Staal, Skjei, etc were all fine picks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.

  8. #148
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,708
    Rep Power
    406
    Del Zotto was probably fine, too. I'd have to look back at where he projected, but it was probably right around that 20-mark.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #149
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Del Zotto was probably fine, too. I'd have to look back at where he projected, but it was probably right around that 20-mark.
    The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.
    Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

    I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #150
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,681
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.
    Agree with this.
    The 2nd tier is picks 2, 3, and 4


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  11. #151
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    The issue we had taking him was it was the year following Sanguienetti.
    Plus, just re-signed Malik & Roszival, with Staal coming up. I remember discussing it being the wrong time to take a defender... but, he was "closer to the nhl" then most guys available at that pick.

    I remember wanted to get a Swede because we just saw Henrik put up a big numbers, but I know I didnt want a Dman... so I cant say I wanted Karlsson.
    That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...

  12. #152
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    836
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    What about DelZotto? Sure we could have picked John Carlson, but Greg Nemisz, Tyler Cuma, Anton Gustafsson, Chet Pickard, Colten Teubert, and Kyle Beach were also picked ahead of him. Those 6 guys have combined for 40 NHL games. In the 11 years Gorton has been here the only thing you can point to is McIllrath. And even then Sather was the GM at the time. They've also gotten Stepan in the 2nd, Fast in the 6th, Buch and Duclair in the 3rd, Shestyorkin in the 4th. They also found Georgiev. I think we've done quite well bringing in as much youth as possible since Gorton's be around, especially when you consider we had 1 top 50 pick in the 4 drafts between 2013 and 2016.
    What gm doesn’t find some guys. Every team in the league has done an ok job finding some talent.
    Last edited by Fatfrancesa; 04-14-2018 at 12:04 PM.

  13. #153
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    I mean Andersson last year a little off the board, IIRC, wasn't he?

  14. #154
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,830
    Rep Power
    251
    Yes, pretty far off the board actually, usually see him anywhere from 12th-25th in 2017 pre-draft rankings.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,980
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Moving from 8 to somewhere in the 5-7 range doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in this draft. There is very little between the players in that bracket. Moving to top 4 would be different, but you’d have to give up an awful lot to swing it.
    I keep thinking of Boqvist as a wildcard though. Take Rasmus out of the equation and he'd be discussed as the best dman in the draft and a gamebreaker. He's my clear cut #5 and belongs more with the talent at 2-4 than the group from 6-9. I think this will vet out as we near the draft.

    I'd have no problem trading Spooner, our 8th pick and a 3rd to take Boqvist at #5. Frankly, I'd probably give both 3rd rounders or the Devils 2nd, if necessary. And I like Spoons, but this kid has upside and is explosive. Upside potential: A shorter, faster Brian Leetch.

    Let's extrapolate further. Sabres have over a 50% chance of drafting 4th and want game changing Dman badly. They may have him slotted over Tkachuk, or so might some other team. Brady becomes the #5 pick. I'd make the same trade.

    I'm hoping the Sabres end up 4 and would be willing to swap to 8. They fell into Casey Mittelstadt last year at 8, when we passed on him. They need some vet leadership (Zuc!) and D (Shatty?) and will still be in position to get a top D prospect and additional picks.

    I'm fine trading up if we are targeting.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.

  16. #156
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,980
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    That right there is a testament to BPA over organizational depth/need...
    exactly. that whole mess of a way of thinking will get you twisted and fucked.

    and because we took MDZ last year, we pass on an offensive minded Fowler to select Dylan, 'a better organizational fit'.

  17. #157
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,980
    Rep Power
    70
    This highlight vid gives a peak of why I think he'll be special. I want this on my blueline! Note: These are from when he is 16/17 years old!!

    Meatloaf no less. Shoulda went with Bat out of Hell, the kid flies. Fun watch regardless, chilling.

  18. #158
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    338
    Rep Power
    11
    Lundqvist turns down Sweden. Good. This will be his first really long off season rest. No Playoffs, no World Championships, No World Cup of Hockey. Perfect.

    BTW. I hate when people criticize a perfectly defensible draft pick by pointing out three players still on the board who turned out better. That will almost always be the case. If a guy turns out better than 27 of the next 30 players picked, isn't that pretty good? Brian Leetch was 9th. Does that make the 8 GMs who passed on him all bad assessors of talent? Obviously, when you take a guy generally rated pretty well below where you take him, you open yourself up to criticism, but good GMs have balls. I remember when the Wild used the No. 15 pick to take Brent Burns who was rated a late 2d rounder. The beat writers and posters here in MN when berserk.

  19. #159
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    Have to wonder why Hank was playing hurt in a lost season.

  20. #160
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    ego?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •