• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Is Skjei Worth to the Rangers?

Last year, the market was set for Skjei’s next contract as defensemen Hampus Lindholm (age 22), Rasmus Ristolainen (21), Nikita Zaitsev (25), and Jaccob Slavin (23) all signed new contracts as RFAs. Given the performance of the three big-money youngsters, we have a clear picture of Skjei’s contract ceiling.

As Lindholm, Ristolainen, and Slavin all signed for an average annual value (AAV) of at least $5.25 million, there was a fear that Skjei would get an AAV even higher, as the Rangers would be buying more free-agent years and he was trending to have the same value. The idea of signing him to a, say, six-year, $31-million deal last summer seemed like it could have provided the same value that McDonagh’s current contract has for the last four seasons. But, today, a number north of $5 million per year seems high.

Skjei’s play puts him more in line with the contracts given to Zaitsev and Damon Severson. Zaitsev, who signed his seven-year deal at age 25 last summer, is only pacing 18 points while playing more than 22 minutes a night on an explosive Toronto team. Severson, in the first year of a six-year contract with an AAV of $4.2 million he signed as a 23-year-old, has just one less point than Skjei while playing more than a minute less per game.

Had Skjei been able to build on last year’s leading point production, then Shayne Gostisbehere’s six-year, $27-million contract with a $4.5-million AAV would be a sound starting point. But now, as the Ghost has more than doubled Skjei’s output, the Rangers defenseman’s AAV might be pushed down. On the flip side, though, Zaitsev’s lesser production could have the opposite effect.

https://thehockeywriters.com/new-york-rangers-skjei-contract/

--

I don't see giving him the same money as Gostisbehere

His struggles this year should cut into his bottom line. This is a good opportunity for the team to lock him up long term on the cheap. A bridge doesn't make much sense since it would take him to a year and one arbitration hearing away from unrestricted free agency. I'd try a 5 year deal in the $4.25M range.

He's worth more to the team than he's actually worth.

Not a great spot for the team to be in, heading into negotiations.

Gotta try to bridge for

I'm not sure long term at that rate is realistic, unfortunately. I'll take it, though. I think we need that number to stay under 4.5.

He's not a #1, and we dont know if he will be. We acquired some good assets at the deadline, guys that could potentially leapfrog him. Dont need to get caught up in another long-term overpaid contract

Tough year to judge him but he should of been one of the guys to make this team better - he wasn't that imo. I don't think his ceiling is as a top pair guy on a good team. Saying he's the best we have is more of an indication of how far the talent level has fallen for now.

I think a bridge deal is the way to go here too. We don't really know what he is still: rookie season very promising, sophomore season not great. It's risky to bridge but I'd rather do that than commit long-term to a guy that may not be worth it.

He was horrible this year. Buy low. Hope he plays himself into a better contract in a couple years.

Totally agree. A defenseman to lead the team with a +/- of -27 while Staal is +11. We still don't really know 100% what we have in Brady. His denfensive game was better the first half of the season and I think he became frustrated by not getting his point totals up from his rookie season. That led to his defensive mishaps. Having his summer mentor, McD, leaving probably played a part as well.

3-3.5 for 3-4 yrs tops.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm gonna go easy on Skjei this time around. Our former coach (GOD I LOVE SAYING THAT!) was no defensive guru by any stretch, and gave these guys NO HELP back there!

I'm giving Skjei a pass this year and I wanna give him a chance to show what he has next year. This whole abortion of a season; I'm just going to write it off and blame most of it on the coaching staff sucking a dirty moose's wet drippy balls. I don't care who's fault it is ...players, coaches, fans, my ex.....whatever!

I'm glad it's behind us now and that Pansy ass is gone. I've waited 3 years to unload that guy and his "roll 4 lines" bullshit.

I'm giving all these current players a new lease on NHL Life next season =)

I'm gonna go easy on Skjei this time around. Our former coach (GOD I LOVE SAYING THAT!) was no defensive guru by any stretch, and gave these guys NO HELP back there!

I'm giving Skjei a pass this year and I wanna give him a chance to show what he has next year. This whole abortion of a season; I'm just going to write it off and blame most of it on the coaching staff sucking a dirty moose's wet drippy balls. I don't care who's fault it is ...players, coaches, fans, my ex.....whatever!

I'm glad it's behind us now and that Pansy ass is gone. I've waited 3 years to unload that guy and his "roll 4 lines" bullshit.

I'm giving all these current players a new lease on NHL Life next season =)

That's nothing wrong with that approach if you have a deep team that isn't top heavy...but unfortunately we had crap like Mcleod and Carey on our 4th line.

Exactly!

But the guy also never countered ANY team in his existence....If plan A didn't work...there was no Plan B.....forget Plan C or matching lines....good christ!

Either way, the witch is finally dead and I can root for my team again! :rofl:

That’s not buying low then.

Bridge contracts haven’t been kind to us

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

But I don't think you pay for what you hope will become of him. Right now, he's a mess. Blame it on the coach or whoever but he wasn't good this year. Everyone shits on Staal but Staal was actually a +11 this season while considered by many as being dead weight. Skjei was a -27. So it was possible to have a decent season this year, even with a shit team, as proved by Staal.

IMO Skjei has Michael Del Zotto written all over him. He lives in a frat house with Vesey and Hayes who all sucked this year (until Hayes awoke after the deadline). If I'm the Rangers I give him a strict warning to shape up or see his way out the door. I'm not rewarding him with a 4-5 year deal.

I'm standing by my position of never bridge-dealing a young player again. That's how you rapidly price yourself out of your own talent. I'd much rather have a slightly more expensive Skjei for the foreseeable future than have to pay him in his prime when he'll be salivating at the prospect of UFA.

I'm standing by my position of never bridge-dealing a young player again. That's how you rapidly price yourself out of your own talent. I'd much rather have a slightly more expensive Skjei for the foreseeable future than have to pay him in his prime when he'll be salivating at the prospect of UFA.

Agreed. Ive seen enough good things from him to be ok with locking him up for 4 years at in-between 4 and 5 mill. If hes just a 2nd pairing guy. Well, that aint a bad price. Can most of us agree that he will atleast be a top 4 guy on D?

Pretty much this, but not quite never. Some guys you have little choice in bridging. Vesey, for example, or other players who sign their ELCs at later years.

Archived