Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    There is no way that just adding Tavares makes this team an automatic playoff team. The Islanders are a far better team than the Rangers, and they didn't make it with him. Islanders just didn't have goaltending, but had the offense whee here its the opposite. Plus, in all of NY sports history, through all 4 major sports, no franchise player has ever gone to their NY rival while in their prime.
    If nothing else changes, yes. But I'm fully expecting additional trades, and signings. Kovalchuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    If nothing else changes, yes. But I'm fully expecting additional trades, and signings. Kovalchuk.

I might be the only one who doesn't want to go near Kovalchuk this summer. If he wants a big contract I definitely stay away. He left once, who is to say he won't do it again? He makes me too nervous to commit to.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I think the isles are a little further ahead on their development, and i can’t say that the rangers have anything close to elite goaltending anymore.
    But, we had many players injured this season.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    I think our season tanked because so many underperformed or proved to be not all that good at hockey. The goalie included and most here throw the coach in as well. The expectations were to at least be a playoff team, as a group they failed miserably. Kovalchuk I don't think is the answer to anything here and I'll stick with Taveras not coming either. I hope there's a plan B, C and D on the GM's part.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I mean, logically, the best possible plan forward is pain. Re-sign key RFAs, bring on valuable veterans with leadership qualities on one-year deals to be flipped at the deadline should the playoffs not be in the cards, and continue building through strategic drafting and trading.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division
    completely agree Phil. Long bumpy road but I just don't believe there's a viable short cut that still doesn't leave us short of the ultimate goal.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I mean, logically, the best possible plan forward is pain. Re-sign key RFAs, bring on valuable veterans with leadership qualities on one-year deals to be flipped at the deadline should the playoffs not be in the cards, and continue building through strategic drafting and trading.
    This x10

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    After Philly is knocked out JG should offer Hayes, anyone else and a 2nd pick for Couterier who has potential to be close to a franchise player, 25yrs old and is the full package. JMO. No Tavares.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator BSBH Prospect

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    After Philly is knocked out JG should offer Hayes, anyone else and a 2nd pick for Couterier who has potential to be close to a franchise player, 25yrs old and is the full package. JMO. No Tavares.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Why would the Flyers be looking to move him?
    And why would they take Hayes and a 2nd??

Senior Member Midget Division
    Would need a huge overpayment to get him. This was his first season with more then 40 points. I'd stay away.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    That would be the logical road if the goal is a cup and a cup is the only thing considered a success. Problem is this franchise seems pretty satisfied with their most recent “glory”. Making the playoffs and coming close seems to follow with a bow from these ass clowns. They state they want a cup but do they mean it. Draft and develop then add the missing piece is the only way especially in the hard cap world. There is no shortcuts to building championship depth throughout an organization. Doing it right guarantees nothing but taking shortcuts does. If success is measured by making the playoffs and praying for a miracle then this franchise is the 80’s Oilers.

That would be the logical road if the goal is a cup and a cup is the only thing considered a success. Problem is this franchise seems pretty satisfied with their most recent “glory”. Making the playoffs and coming close seems to follow with a bow from these ass clowns. They state they want a cup but do they mean it. Draft and develop then add the missing piece is the only way especially in the hard cap world. There is no shortcuts to building championship depth throughout an organization. Doing it right guarantees nothing but taking shortcuts does. If success is measured by making the playoffs and praying for a miracle then this franchise is the 80’s Oilers.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The FO will do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year. They'd rather have the revenue than a truly set up for long term success of the franchise.

They can don't his because you have people like LTF who think making the playoffs is good enough because...hey...you never know!

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I dunno, after this draft they'll likely have a Top 3 system in my estimation. Then, assuming they don't trade more picks from 2019 they'll be able to add nicely again, even more so if it doesn't pan out this coming season and they flip a few pending FA's for even more picks/assets.

Tanking an entire season to marginally improve your chances at drafting a few spots higher is pretty dumb. Sure, play the kids, but give them a chance to compete as well.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Building a farm system doesn't happen in one year. The talent needs to be staggered or you wind up like Toronto...you have 2-3 seasons where you're a serious threat before you can't pay all the talent who are up for deals.

They had a good draft last year. They need 2 more. And if Tampa doesn't win cup and we get their 2nd not 1st... more of a reason.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Building a farm system doesn't happen in one year. The talent needs to be staggered or you wind up like Toronto...you have 2-3 seasons where you're a serious threat before you can't pay all the talent who are up for deals.

They had a good draft last year. They need 2 more. And if Tampa doesn't win cup and we get their 2nd not 1st... more of a reason.
    I think it just depends on the amount of controllable assets you hold. After this draft, they'll hold a lot. At that point all that really matters is when you start their clocks.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Obviously you look at JT cause you'd be crazy not too however I'm just totally hating the back end of that contract. Same as what we are going through with Hank and Staal. Sometimes I just wonder if this team will ever learn and I totally get the Garden mindset of maximizing the gate.

I'm staying put for now. Who's to say we dont flip one more asset prior to the draft for another pick. I'd rather add Kovy for 2 years and maybe a 36 year old vet with good leadership skills for a year, that can help the young talent develop. Its what Parcells called "hold the fort guys".

In the current league philosophy, the more 19 year old guys you have the better. Talent knows no age.

It's just so important they get this draft opportunity right.

This team is not currently built to bring a player of his caliber and contend. And by the time they are, he will be older and just a shell of himself. Let's build by the draft and look at this type of signing or trade when the pieces are in place.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I think Barzal will be better than JT, he might already be...So have to wonder about paying JT $11/7.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post

In the current league philosophy, the more 19 year old guys you have the better. Talent knows no age.

It's just so important they get this draft opportunity right.
    Exactly. Carolina, Buffalo and Phoenix being prime examples of this. Damn they are dominant.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast