• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What if John Tavares Signs with the Rangers

paddynyc

https://nypost.com/2018/04/05/what-if-john-tavares-signs-with-the-rangers/

What if No. 91 takes the route never traveled and signs as a free agent on July 1 with the Rangers?

Never in the history of our town that has had at least two major league baseball teams for 112 years, at least two big league hockey teams for 63 years, two pro football teams for 66 seasons and two pro basketball teams for 51 years; never, ever has one franchise?s signature player in his prime gone directly from one to another.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of, but Gomez was also "the Devil in blue". It was a well known fact he was coming to the Rangers for effectively a calendar year.

He was a Marquee player for them, but shy of franchise. That title was reserved for the likes of Brodeur, Stevens, and Niedermayer. Guys who were unequivocally the best at their position at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

larry must of had a quiet day looking back through our pages as we discussed this pretty thoroughly already. Obviously if he wants to talk, u listen, but i think for us to really reload, here we need to find us a 1st class right defensemen. just seems like we've been getting consistently turn-styled these past 20 games.

I believe if you want Tavares your looking at 8 years 11 mln per.

I'd rather find a 1st class winger to go with the 1st class deman. jmho

Let's assume for a second he would actually spit on the entire Isles franchise and their fans to the point he would sign with the Rangers...what's the cost? 7 years 84 mill?

Pass.

Roundabout, yes. Could maybe offer a full-ride NMC and NTC for a million less per season to bring the AAV to $11M.

this one hasn't.

Hasn't frequently got them in the playoffs either, for that matter. I think JT is an excellent center, but wherever he ends up, he will be overpaid, and his contract will be a real problem a few years down the road.

Centers win championships.

This. Thank you. This is the latest point I've been touting the past few years. I don't know how anyone had any expectations for this season when we went in with two regular centers: Zib and Desharnais.

Every Cup champ in the past decade has had that elite 1st line center. We haven't had one arguably since Messier. It's high time we fix that. Tavares is our best chance to do it without picking first overall.

I'm so on the fence about this. What was the last high-profile FA that has actually worked out here? It's more of the same from the Rangers. Buy instead of develop. Who the fuck is going to play defense? Are we really expecting Hank to carry the rest of the squad again?

By the time the Rangers are retooled (rebuilt) Tavares will be in his 30s, on the downside of his career. The short sightedness of signing him would be astounding.

...And yet part of me is still intrigued.

I'm so on the fence about this. What was the last high-profile FA that has actually worked out here? It's more of the same from the Rangers. Buy instead of develop. Who the fuck is going to play defense? Are we really expecting Hank to carry the rest of the squad again?

By the time the Rangers are retooled (rebuilt) Tavares will be in his 30s, on the downside of his career. The short sightedness of signing him would be astounding.

...And yet part of me is still intrigued.

Gomez was a leading scorer and got us mcdonagh

Gaborik scored 40 and got us brassard/zib

Went to the finals with Richards

Gomez was a leading scorer and got us mcdonagh

Gaborik scored 40 and got us brassard/zib

Went to the finals with Richards

Gaborik worked out for us. Gomez did not. Richards was bought out.... Hardly successes. Considering what you got in return for someone after they were traded as success is bizarre logic.

Gaborik worked out for us. Gomez did not. Richards was bought out.... Hardly successes. Considering what you got in return for someone after they were traded as success is bizarre logic.

Richards was bought out because of the change in the CBA that made contracts like his (back diving) dangerous due to recapture. And you consider the return on potential future trades because that's part of the value of a signing. Say the Rangers sign Tavares, he's good for a couple of years but the team hasn't been successful enough. He probably still has trade value.

We have been sorely missing a legitimate stud center for quite some time. Take him in a heartbeat...or we could just fill our lineup with depth players and fail to win a cup every year. Look at every Stanley Cup winning squad and the pattern is clear, they all contain a 2 legitimately dangerous players that can create something every time they're on the ice. Lets stop wishing and take what we can get.

Archived