• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Searching for Matt Johnson

Pete

Scary shit. Thanks for sharing. Playing the game my whole life and now coaching and being a hockey parent, it?s definitely something that?s always in the back of your mind.

2 years ago we had a kid (d man) who was concussed twice during the season. He was medically cleared twice. Both of his parents are first responders, so we trusted their judgement to let him play each time. After he came back the 2nd time, he was a different kid. His parents even told us he was fucking up in school and he was an A student. We sat down with them and the kid and everyone was on board to let him dress and play limited minutes until we all felt he was more comfortable.

A month later we were now approaching the playoffs and fighting to get to Natty?s. We were already down 2 of our top D, and our leading scorer who was also our captain. We were going to battle with 4D, and he was 1 of them. After 4-5 weeks and about 10 games, he never looked comfy. He was a physical player, never afraid to engage, then all of a sudden he was pulling the chute on every 50/50 puck. After a lengthy staff meeting, we decided to healthy scratch him during playoff weekend. We end up winning and advancing to the district finals. He dressed for practice all week, and swore he was ok, so we dressed him, nervously. After watching a few spot shifts, we were on the bench giving each other concerned glares and raised brows. We lose 1-0 playing with 3D and 7 forwards in game 1 of a best of 3 scenario. We lose the next game, it?s over. We let him dress for game 2 but never put him on the ice. We knew he was 1 bad hit away from serious shit. You can just feel it and sense it as a coach who watches his guys all year(s). We lost, he was upset, but we know we did the right thing.

Fast forward to 2 weeks later. He took a big hit playing lacrosse. Went to the doctor and was told he can?t play any contact sports for 1 whole year. Great kid, great parents. It crushed us as a staff. Not because of playing hockey, but because you never want to see one of your guys go through that pain. His parents just reached out to us a few weeks ago. He?s doing well, and is cleared to skate on his own, but he feels he?ll never be up to speed after missing a whole season. We think he?s going to hang em up permanently, which is sad. Hopefully his experiences as a young kid don?t turn him into anything like this situation.

Why can't he just play rec?

I don’t disagree with your thought, but try telling a kid that’s been playing at a high level for 5-6 years to go play rec. No one wants to drop a level(s). These kids don’t want to play or practice with kids that can’t skate. No challenge to it, and not fun for them. It’s like me and you playing with Alex.

I don?t disagree with your thought, but try telling a kid that?s been playing at a high level for 5-6 years to go play rec. No one wants to drop a level(s). These kids don?t want to play or practice with kids that can?t skate. No challenge to it, and not fun for them. It?s like me and you playing with Alex.
I get you. There are high skill level rec leagues that are non-contact though...just sucks to see someone give it up.

I get you. There are high skill level rec leagues that are non-contact though...just sucks to see someone give it up.

He’s not old enough to play men’s league. Anything non contact at their age is not good.

He?s not old enough to play men?s league. Anything non contact at their age is not good.

Meh,

The noncontact would be fine for that age. In fact he?d probably excel with skill acquisition. I wouldn?t worry too much about that, his habits would easily be fixed.

That being said, if he?s been given the one year flag (sons teammate in football had this)...I?m not sure you want them on a rink in any game situation....even non checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Meh,

The noncontact would be fine for that age. In fact he’d probably excel with skill acquisition. I wouldn’t worry too much about that, his habits would easily be fixed.

That being said, if he’s been given the one year flag (sons teammate in football had this)...I’m not sure you want them on a rink in any game situation....even non checking.

Non contact leagues here are during the spring and summer and is comprised of kids that are not very good. This kid is a stay at home D man. If he played in a non contact league here he’d have 50 goals in 12 games.

Non contact leagues here are during the spring and summer and is comprised of kids that are not very good. This kid is a stay at home D man. If he played in a non contact league here he?d have 50 goals in 12 games.

Mine was in reference to higher level adult leagues

But if he?s 14, you don?t know what he is yet. Sounds like he needs to work on his cognitive game and learn some other aspects

Mine was in reference to higher level adult leagues

But if he’s 14, you don’t know what he is yet. Sounds like he needs to work on his cognitive game and learn some other aspects

Right, but he’s only turning 16 so he has to wait 2 years. There’s definitely good men’s leagues to play in after 18

But...it's better than not playing hockey at all

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person. Kids tend to become ego maniacs at this age. They feel it’s beneath them to play at those levels. It would be a good way to get back into shape though, but it’s not easy trying to explain that to a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived