• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Rangers Captain?

Who will be the next Rangers Captain?

and so it heats up a little bit more with the speculation ... Forever Blueshirts seems to think Chris Kreider, and with his recent play I would agree he certainly has earned himself consideration. But there are other candidates ... Zuccarello comes to mind first ... and who knows who we acquire in free agency that has captaincy experience perhaps?

Yep, I think it is way premature to be jumping to conclusions.

That said, I'm guessing folks have their favorites ... As for CK, I don't see him as a player the burden of captaincy would ruin like it seems to have done for some other players. I think he has led the way very well this end of season, but I really don't know.

Aside from "it's way too premature to discuss" ... who do you like?

Chris Kreider should be the next captain of the New York Rangers. There, I said it. Yes, I am a huge Chris Kreider fan. I absolutely love his game, even if it is somewhat inconsistent at times (I could go on a LONG rant at how AV has limited his impact). However, I do not believe that my personal bias gets in the way of seeing this objectively.

https://foreverblueshirts.com/chris-kreider-will-be-the-next-captain-of-the-new-york-rangers/

As Justin mentioned in his article, the Rangers have a number of solid options for the next man to wear the ?C? in New York. As such, I will not go into too much detail on their merits or lack thereof. If you would like a more in-depth analysis of the other candidates,

https://foreverblueshirts.com/who-will-be-the-next-new-york-rangers-captain/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Kreider. I think he's done a really nice job filling that role in the absence of Mac. His game has been good, his points up, but he seems to be talking on the bench. He's always available to the media with smart, well thought out answers. Realistically, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I've really liked him picking up the slack.

I don't think Zucc is a good fit. He's still a trade candidate and IMO he's been pretty negative in his post game comments. I get that he's frustrated but since the deadline he's called out his teammates for not being good enough. That's an ugly comment, even if true. A good leader should be building up, not cutting down younger players -- no matter their skill level.

Staal is an option. Longest tenured player aside from Hank. There have been good reports of him helping the kids.

Hank - I know it's not popular, but let's be honest, he is the leader of the team.

I don't know who's on the team next year but there are options. I also don't hate the idea of not having a captain and waiting to see who emerges mid season. Who ever the coach is should be able to build the captain and the alternates up -- not just give them the letter and hope it means something.

I don't think we have one on the roster and not sure we would find one during the off season via free agency or trade. Zucc to me is a great guy, respected but I can't see him being anything more than a passive capt. Kreider I don't think has earned it either. He's always been pretty inconsistent and I just don't think he's looked at as a leader (capt). McD was a terrible mistake in my opinion far to passive rom all appearances. To me a capt is someone that not only leads by example on the ice but also someone not afraid to rip guys in the room. Someone with a aggressive demeanor who isn't worried about being friends but rather more focused on riding guys hard when needed. Zucc and Kreider to me appear to be friends first. Honestly don't see anyone deserving of being the capt here other than Hank but that's not allowed. So my vote is no "C" at this time or going into next season barring a major unforeseen addition. Staahl to me is way past his prime and again another guy that comes across like he barely has a pulse in his interviews. Stand up guy for sure but not in a position to lead imo because of his decline and demeanor.

I don't think we have one on the roster and not sure we would find one during the off season via free agency or trade. Zucc to me is a great guy, respected but I can't see him being anything more than a passive capt. Kreider I don't think has earned it either. He's always been pretty inconsistent and I just don't think he's looked at as a leader (capt). McD was a terrible mistake in my opinion far to passive rom all appearances. To me a capt is someone that not only leads by example on the ice but also someone not afraid to rip guys in the room. Someone with a aggressive demeanor who isn't worried about being friends but rather more focused on riding guys hard when needed. Zucc and Kreider to me appear to be friends first. Honestly don't see anyone deserving of being the capt here other than Hank but that's not allowed. So my vote is no "C" at this time or going into next season barring a major unforeseen addition. Staahl to me is way past his prime and again another guy that comes across like he barely has a pulse in his interviews. Stand up guy for sure but not in a position to lead imo because of his decline and demeanor.

36 may get a shot if they don't trade him but 76 is my long term choice. This kid can do it all if he is handled correctly.

Kreider I highly doubt is going anywhere nor should he. I agree the next capt isn't on this the roster. Heck no to 76 he's got enough issues trying to get his game back to where it was, he's been a part of the underwhelming results so far this season.

Because he'd get a haul. And he's never going to play to his potential.

Whats the difference between this logic and the logic to trade Skjei because he's not a top pair defender, which you were against?

A 50pt bull is never a bad thing. His contract is good and he's on the right side of 30. So long as we're not expecting him to be a 80pt player, you should be satisfied with what you're getting.

Whats the difference between this logic and the logic to trade Skjei because he's not a top pair defender, which you were against?

A 50pt bull is never a bad thing. His contract is good and he's on the right side of 30. So long as we're not expecting him to be a 80pt player, you should be satisfied with what you're getting.

Because Skjei is about to turn 24 and Kreider just turned 27 and their contract situations and (likely) demands dictate different treatment.

agree with pete... next captain isn’t on roster yet. don’t see the right personality or assertiveness on the roster. lundqvist is probably closest but having goalie as captain is problematic because there are times where goalies have to separate and just focus on their game.

agree with pete... next captain isn’t on roster yet. don’t see the right personality or assertiveness on the roster. lundqvist is probably closest but having goalie as captain is problematic because there are times where goalies have to separate and just focus on their game.

Goalies are not permitted to be captains.

I don?t think Kreider is captain material.

I don?t anticipate anymore trades from the core unless it?s an upgrade.

Agree on Krieder. Guy disappears for dozens of games at a time. Have to bring it every night to wear a C in NYC.

There's no mandate that someone wears the C, Staal at this point in his career isn't anywhere near captain material. If you're going to rebuild finding a way out of his contract is probably more likely. Just go with three guys wearing A's and even rotate them if they want. The Devils look foolish with their version of Staal wearing the C when Hall is an mvp candidate and Greene's game is shit.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived