• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sam Rosen ? May As Well Go "Full Rebuild"?

Ozzy

It's been quite a ride for Sam, but I'm thinking it may be time to move forward from Sam. His play by play has been downright bad this season, calling the wrong names of players, coaches, and even calling out names of guys on other teams during a game!! He's been here since the cow's came home and pretty much since I think Jim Gordon handed him the reins, but I think it's time to entertain someone new for the position.

I figure fuck it, since we're replacing the whole damn team pretty much, why not replace the WHOLE freaking sha-bang. I'm getting tired of listening to a shot clang off the post and hear, "SAVED by Lundqvist!" or wait several seconds, see the teams hands in the air and hear Sam say, "Saved!!....oh no wait, it's in!"

He's well past his prime and we can use a new voice up in that box.

I'm good with Micheletti, he's pretty informative and knows his shit, so I wouldn't mind keeping him around.

What's your favorite "Sam Screw-ups"? List 'em below...I need a good giggle today!

Ozz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed this as well. he gets players names wrong all the time and miss-calls plays constantly

A couple of seasons ago I went to a road game in Ottawa and stayed at the same hotel as the team. Was at the hotel bar and had a drink with Sam at the bar and had a really nice conversation about hockey. The guy is amazing, but I just think he's starting to struggle calling hockey. Too fast paced. I think he can still probably do football. But he's struggled with hockey.

I've noticed this as well. he gets players names wrong all the time and miss-calls plays constantly

A couple of seasons ago I went to a road game in Ottawa and stayed at the same hotel as the team. Was at the hotel bar and had a drink with Sam at the bar and had a really nice conversation about hockey. The guy is amazing, but I just think he's starting to struggle calling hockey. Too fast paced. I think he can still probably do football. But he's struggled with hockey.

BBB, I'm with you man! I met Sam back in the dreaded '92-'93 season at the Play by Play, and the guy was cooler than the other side of the pillow. I just think like all things...they come to pass. I'd like to hear a new voice for games. I'm sure Sam's made his mark and he's greatly appreciated all his time of service by all.

I just think it's time that's all.

We all make mistakes. The few times he does, I can figure out what's going on with players names and numbers, anyway.

I will really miss him when he retires, and this is one bandwagon I am NOT going to jump on.

For the Sam disdainers, I'd bid patience, he'll retire soon enough. Almost wish folks could wait out the season before trying to push this classy iconic guy out the door.

Personally, I'll absolutely go with Sam's classic intonations until he decides himself to hang 'em up. Most hockey announcers are plain vanilla or worse compared with him.

As much as I like Kenny, and he'll do fine, he kinda sounds to me a bit like he has mothballs in his mouth and I don't feel the personality connection, but that's personally, again.

Sam is the voice of the Rangers. I don't care if he get's every name and play wrong, his voice reminds me of being a kid. Rangers will not and should not force him out. He can leave whenever he wants.

Similar to John Sterling -- who calls a slow sport on RADIO and gets at least 3 major plays messed up per game -- I don't want them to ever retire.

We all make mistakes. The few times he does, I can figure out what's going on with players names and numbers, anyway.

I will really miss him when he retires, and this is one bandwagon I am NOT going to jump on.

For the Sam disdainers, I'd bid patience, he'll retire soon enough. Almost wish folks could wait out the season before trying to push this classy iconic guy out the door.

Personally, I'll absolutely go with Sam's classic intonations until he decides himself to hang 'em up. Most hockey announcers are plain vanilla or worse compared with him.

As much as I like Kenny, and he'll do fine, he kinda sounds to me a bit like he has mothballs in his mouth and I don't feel the personality connection, but that's personally, again.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna join some hate train to force him out, and it wouldn't bother me at all if he continues to call games. "IT'S A POWER PLAY GOAL" wouldn't sound quite as good from anyone else.

But the things mentioned earlier have definitely become more prevalent over the last couple of seasons and I don't think it will get better.

Sam is the voice of the Rangers. I don't care if he get's every name and play wrong, his voice reminds me of being a kid. Rangers will not and should not force him out. He can leave whenever he wants.

Similar to John Sterling -- who calls a slow sport on RADIO and gets at least 3 major plays messed up per game -- I don't want them to ever retire.

That's the same logic that allowed a 40-plus-year old Messier to lumber around the ice in a Rangers jersey well after he'd stopped being an effective hockey player.

"It's tradition" is a poor excuse for continuing to do something that isn't doing you any good. I don't think Sam is quite to that point, nor do I think they'll usher him out, but if it gets to a point where he's detrimental to the experience, "tradition" won't save him. And shouldn't. Just like it didn't for Amirante, who by the end could hold a note about as well as Stephen Hawking could swing a bat.

One would hope he'd recognize his end and call his own finish. But in the event he refuses to acknowledge the end, it's on the Rangers to put him out to pasture.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's the same logic that allowed a 40-plus-year old Messier to lumber around the ice in a Rangers jersey well after he'd stopped being an effective hockey player.

"It's tradition" is a poor excuse for continuing to do something that isn't doing you any good. I don't think Sam is quite to that point, nor do I think they'll usher him out, but if it gets to a point where he's detrimental to the experience, "tradition" won't save him. And shouldn't. Just like it didn't for Amirante, who by the end could hold a note about as well as Stephen Hawking could swing a bat.

One would hope he'd recognize his end and call his own finish. But in the event he refuses to acknowledge the end, it's on the Rangers to put him out to pasture.

Hardly. The play-by-play voice doesn't effect the game or the team or really anything other than people who are getting annoyed with someone who's just telling them what they're already seeing.

And tell me you don't get hyped when Amirante comes out for the anthem... you don't have a pulse if you don't get up for that.

More than fine if he's not back, a couple of games ago it was like he was calling a different game. That said if I was a devils fan I would watch the away feed every night. So could it be worse absolutely but going with Kenny and either Maloney or Micheletti is a win over Sam at this point in his career.

"but if it gets to the point where he's detrimental to the experience"

If play by play affected nothing, then Sam has no positive effect either, so why argue legacy? Clearly it can have a positive or negative effect on the product.

And no, I don't get hyped when Amirante comes out. I used to. Back in 1999 when he could still sing. That flesh-draped skeleton with the horrendous toupe they were carting out to pull at the 1994 heart strings these last five years was awful. Joe Tolleson has better cadence.

"but if it gets to the point where he's detrimental to the experience"

If play by play affected nothing, then Sam has no positive effect either, so why argue legacy? Clearly it can have a positive or negative effect on the product.

And no, I don't get hyped when Amirante comes out. I used to. Back in 1999 when he could still sing. That flesh-draped skeleton with the horrendous toupe they were carting out to pull at the 1994 heart strings these last five years was awful. Joe Tolleson has better cadence.

When my wife has to ask about Amirante and Rosen, you know there's an issue.

I've watched games with casual friends that get confused by Sam's miscalling of plays.

Hardly. The play-by-play voice doesn't effect the game or the team or really anything other than people who are getting annoyed with someone who's just telling them what they're already seeing.

And tell me you don't get hyped when Amirante comes out for the anthem... you don't have a pulse if you don't get up for that.

Yea that correlation is apples to pipe wrenches.

Sam has earned the right to call games until he doesn't feel like calling games.

No, he's earned the right to, hopefully, get the Royal treatment when he decides to hang them up. In the event he would rather drag this towards the grave, the team will have to do what they have to do. Just like they did with Amirante, whose been around just as long and is comparably popular among long time fans.

I disagree - and I like the guy. But some games especially this year I would swear he's calling the game by watching on his iphone with one eye closed. I don't think in any job if your performance continues to decline over time (as Sam's has imo) do you ever earn the right to leave on your terms, eventually you run out of rope and management makes a change. They have a few better options in house already and I think at this point Sam does negatively impact the experience of watching the game.

Archived