• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Has Georgiev Earned the Backup Spot Next Year?

NYRangers723

I admit its only been a small sample size and not much pressure in terms of playoff push but ive liked what ive seen from the kid. I think he could be a good backup until we get our young russian over here. I guess we could resign Pavelec for cheap but i would like to see more of Georgiev. Anybody else agree?

I admit its only been a small sample size and not much pressure in terms of playoff push but ive liked what ive seen from the kid. I think he could be a good backup until we get our young russian over here. I guess we could resign Pavelec for cheap but i would like to see more of Georgiev. Anybody else agree?

Not only do I think he's the backup next year, but I think he's currently on the inside track to overtake Hank. A season as Hank's backup and Benoit Allaire's tutelage could be an invaluable experience for him. I understand Shestyorkin is the guy with all the hype but we can't assume he'll come here and dominate. He's the same age as Georgiev who's already proven he can hang with NHL talent while Shestyorkin has another year (two?) on a stacked KHL team.

Not sure. I think I would sign Raanta back on a dirt cheap contract instead.

Let this kid do it another year in the minors before we jump the gun. Hartford needs a goalie, as it should have a bunch of these newly obtained prospects on the roster as well as some of their own. I fully expect to see Ronning, Gettinger and Day on their roster. Cant entrust the goaltending to just anyone.

Not sure. I think I would sign Raanta back on a dirt cheap contract instead.

Let this kid do it another year in the minors before we jump the gun. Hartford needs a goalie, as it should have a bunch of these newly obtained prospects on the roster as well as some of their own. I fully expect to see Ronning, Gettinger and Day on their roster. Cant entrust the goaltending to just anyone.

Why would Raanta come back to a bad team where he won't get a starting job? He can make millions elsewhere and start. That makes no sense.

I hope so I love watching him play... so cool and calm

We're not competing next year, so why the hell not? He's earned it

Growing in front of our eyes. Like what Valiquette said about the stillness factor. Georgie looks more confident and it seems to benefit his results.

So for me, that's an absolutely, YES! This is not a gift horse management needs to look in the mouth, IMO.

Why would Raanta come back to a bad team where he won't get a starting job? He can make millions elsewhere and start. That makes no sense.

Is he starting now? No....

I think he has Grabners disease. He won't do anything away from the Rangers. Its the only place hes had his most success. I think hed definitely come back. Not many starting jobs out there anyway, besides the one he hasnt taken control of now.

Is he starting now? No....

I think he has Grabners disease. He won't do anything away from the Rangers. Its the only place hes had his most success. I think hed definitely come back. Not many starting jobs out there anyway, besides the one he hasnt taken control of now.

Do you actually follow him? He was injured this month and at the start of the season. He is the starter. They love him there. He has a .926 SV% and a 2.37 GAA on Arizona, a team pretty damn near as bad as the Rangers. As their starter he's even posting a higher save percentage than he did on the Rangers. Explain to me how he has "Grabner disease." At least research your point a little.

I think he’s shown more than enough, not only to take the backup position but also to make me confident we can safely reduce Hank’s workload to around the 55 game mark.

Amen to that #9y. Capable, and cost controlled as well, halleluliah!

I also like the way he has adapted psychologically to the pressure of a NYR team in turmoil last month for a wet-behind-the ears young fella.

Do you actually follow him? He was injured this month and at the start of the season. He is the starter. They love him there. He has a .926 SV% and a 2.37 GAA on Arizona, a team pretty damn near as bad as the Rangers. As their starter he's even posting a higher save percentage than he did on the Rangers. Explain to me how he has "Grabner disease." At least research your point a little.

Im sorry. I should have looked into it more. Was unaware he was hurt a 2nd time and i guess his stats got better as the season went on. He wasn't doing that good last I looked. You are correct. Im dead wrong on that.

I saw on NHL Network that Raanta had the second or third highest save % in the league over the past month or so. He's not signing to be a No. 2. Georgiev has already earned the No. 2 role for next year. You don't have to do that much over that long of a period to earn the No. 2 role when, if you falter, another No 2 veteran, in the mold of Pavelec, can be obtained quite easily. Given Hank's burnout from too much work, next year has got to FINALLY be the year when his workload is reduced. How about 50 starts for Hank and 30 for Georgiev?

He's earned the right to try to earn it in training camp next year. That's all.

Instead of making a first impression on the staff next fall, he has the opportunity to earn a spot. Big difference, but 9 games isn't enough to be given a spot.

I'm hopeful for Georgiev but he still seems very raw to me, very sporatic movements, glove all over the place, like on Niskanen goal.

I think he needs to get a little quieter and rely on his feet and angles. He's also not very big.

I'd rate him as a C, C+ goalie prospect. He's a neat story but he's just a place warmer for Shestyerkin.

I'm hopeful for Georgiev but he still seems very raw to me, very sporatic movements, glove all over the place, like on Niskanen goal.

I think he needs to get a little quieter and rely on his feet and angles. He's also not very big.

I'd rate him as a C, C+ goalie prospect. He's a neat story but he's just a place warmer for Shestyerkin.

I think he's solid but I haven't heard anyone saying he's displacing Shestyerkin. I think he's a solid backup and when Shestyerkin comes over, Hank will be just about done, and we'll have a full Russian goaltender tandem.

Archived