• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Fast?s Point Surge Change His Role?

Phil

While Fast is second in points over his scoring streak, he actually leads the team in even-strength points with eight. He has no points on the power play and only a single shorthanded assist. While Zibanejad and Kreider have had the same total productivity, neither has more than six points at even strength.

Production at five-on-five is a good sign for a streaky player, regardless of linemates or time on ice. That?s particularly true for guys who can do it without sacrificing their defensive play, and Fast was a plus-2 with a Corsi for of 61.1% against the Flyers. Certainly, an offensive zone start percentage of 73.3 helps that but a strong shot share combined with point production are indicators that Fast can be a more productive player than he has been.

It is also worth noting that though he?s not racking up points on the man advantage, he is riding a shooting percentage (SH%) of 30 over the last seven games and 27.8 dating back to Feb. 22. So while he?s capitalizing on opportunities, he?s not getting a high volume of them. With that and his lack of career scoring, it?s fair to assume that Fast won?t continue this pace even if his uptick in productivity to close the season bodes well for the future.

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-jesper-fasts-streak-role/

I love the guy, glad that he's here, but, no. He's on a hot streak, in garbage time.

He fills a role on your 3rd or 4th line, depending on the night, really well. Should this very small sample size continue in to next year then we can talk again but the rebuild shouldn't really include playing Jesper Fast in a top 6 role.

What you really want on that line is Kreider filling the role of what Fast is doing (first in, good on boards, go to net) and somebody way more talented at passing on the other Wing. Like Buch.

pretty sure kreider is already doing that along with everything else. Although i agree id like to see a more offensive player with them i think Fast also fits and has some offensive skills when give some space

Asked about his recent play, Fast said that he is just trying to play a "hard" game and is lucky to get the points he has. He added that he thinks his style of play fits more on a checking line but that he is capable of being moved up from time to time.

From the man's mouth himself... "no."

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/jesper-fast-has-a-seven-game-point-streak/269571850

I know you love Krieder but he doesn't do it nearly consistently enough. If he gave Fast level of effort every shift, Krieder would be a different player.

Kreider has been playing with flames coming out of his ass since the rib resection surgery. He helped jumpstart this former-sorry ass team his first game back. I am pretty happy with Kreider 2.0.

As for Fast. What is happening on that line is very productive. Let's see how it goes. AV, or whomever is coach next year, knows there's a dynamic combination there.

I guess, we'll have to see who else joins this team, and who else rises. I was kind of hoping Namestnikov would elevate his game, but ...

Anyway no complaints from me about Kreider Zibanejad Fast, just happy warm & fuzzy.

Kreider has been playing with flames coming out of his ass since the rib resection surgery. He helped jumpstart this former-sorry ass team his first game back. I am pretty happy with Kreider 2.0.

As for Fast. What is happening on that line is very productive. Let's see how it goes. AV, or whomever is coach next year, knows there's a dynamic combination there.

I guess, we'll have to see who else joins this team, and who else rises. I was kind of hoping Namestnikov would elevate his game, but ...

Anyway no complaints from me about Kreider Zibanejad Fast, just happy warm & fuzzy.

Good Post

If only Kreider did this for more than 8games at a time.

If only Kreider did this for more than 8games at a time.

I'm hoping this post-surgery Kreider continues to be the impact player we've seen since he came back. I seem to remember in the locker room interview after his first amazing game back, he was quite grateful to be able to play hockey again. I'm thinking he wont be taking it for granted going forward.

I have felt for years that Fast good be a good top six player. Many great scoring lines have a more defensive oriented player as balance. He actually has pretty good hands, and given the right situation, he could hold his own on a scoring line. I suppose most of you want to break up the hottest line the Rangers have had in many years as soon as it cools off a bit. I would suggest sticking with it for a while. Isn't this threesome earning the right to some patience should they cool off.

Archived