• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Nathan MacKinnon This Year's MVP?

Kevin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacKinnon up to 89 points in 64 games played. If Colorado makes it in, he's the MVP imo. Considering where the team was last year to what they've accomplished this year, it's pretty extraordinary.
I think he's MVP regardless, to be honest. What player has been more to his team? Even the Lightning kept going when Kucherov was hurt.

I think he's MVP regardless, to be honest. What player has been more to his team? Even the Lightning kept going when Kucherov was hurt.

I agree, but I don’t think they give it to anyone on a team that doesn’t make the playoffs. We can argue Hall is the reason for 25% of the Devils points this year too.

I agree, but I don?t think they give it to anyone on a team that doesn?t make the playoffs. We can argue Hall is the reason for 25% of the Devils points this year too.
Right, and I guess what I'm saying is that MacKinnon is actually making the players around him better. Mikko rantanen is on a point-per-game pace. What are Halls linemates doing?

Right, and I guess what I'm saying is that MacKinnon is actually making the players around him better. Mikko rantanen is on a point-per-game pace. What are Halls linemates doing?

I don’t know. Fuck them.

No one has meant more. He's been remarkable. Kuch and Malkin both have much stronger supporting casts. I'd even give Karlsson some more consideration than Malkin at this point.

Lol ... I think he plays with Zajac and Palmieri

He's been with Hischier/Bratt or Hischier/Palmieri for the majority of the season. Palmieri is pacing 30 goals but was injured and Hischier & Bratt are so young who knows if they're actually made better by playing with Hall. I'm sure they wouldn't be putting up the same points playing with Brian Gibbons lol

Blake Wheeler should be the MVP this year, and I don't think it's even close. He moved to center when Scheifele was out and was a PPG player over 16 games. Has 80 points in 72 games on one of the 3 or 4 best teams in hockey.

He's been with Hischier/Bratt or Hischier/Palmieri for the majority of the season. Palmieri is pacing 30 goals but was injured and Hischier & Bratt are so young who knows if they're actually made better by playing with Hall. I'm sure they wouldn't be putting up the same points playing with Brian Gibbons lol

Blake Wheeler should be the MVP this year, and I don't think it's even close. He moved to center when Scheifele was out and was a PPG player over 16 games. Has 80 points in 72 games on one of the 3 or 4 best teams in hockey.

Nathan MacKiinnon would like to have a word. Wheeler is consistent and amazing, but WPG is still stacked without him. MacKinnon carries his team's offense, scores at a better clip, and is younger.

ke3tbre.png

I don't have much to go by regarding eye ball tests since I catch 3-5 games of these guys a year, but I don't think it's fair to say, "and I don't think it's even close," when it comes to this year's MVP.

Nathan MacKiinnon would like to have a word. Wheeler is consistent and amazing, but WPG is still stacked without him. MacKinnon carries his team's offense, scores at a better clip, and is younger.

ke3tbre.png

I don't have much to go by regarding eye ball tests since I catch 3-5 games of these guys a year, but I don't think it's fair to say, "and I don't think it's even close," when it comes to this year's MVP.[/, and well, I think how good your team is matters in an mvp discussion, so in that sense, it's not close. Wheeler is by far the most important player on one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league. To me, that trumps another 10 points or whatever.

Am I saying wheeler is a better player, not necessarily. But that's not what the award is for.

ke3tbre.png

I don't have much to go by regarding eye ball tests since I catch 3-5 games of these guys a year, but I don't think it's fair to say, "and I don't think it's even close," when it comes to this year's MVP.

, and well, I think how good your team is matters in an mvp discussion, so in that sense, it's not close. Wheeler is by far the most important player on one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league. To me, that trumps another 10 points or whatever.

Am I saying wheeler is a better player, not necessarily. But that's not what the award is for.

In fixing your quote formatting, it looks like you might have deleted the beginning of your post (I might have missed something though since formatting when quoting me might be an issue (I've seen other users do what you did as well)). With that being said, re: the bold - I think we feel differently about this. I feel that because MacKinnon and Hall aren't on as good of a team (read: stacked) as Wheeler, their value to the team is even higher than a great player on a great team.

How can you not give it to MacKinnon? He's been awesome the entire season and has 30p in his last 15 games with the race for the playoffs starting to heat up. If not him I think it should go to Hall. Wheeler 3rd.
Well Wheeler had 16 points in 16 games....playing with Laine...

How can you not give it to MacKinnon? He's been awesome the entire season and has 30p in his last 15 games with the race for the playoffs starting to heat up. If not him I think it should go to Hall. Wheeler 3rd.

B/c WPG is actually good. NJD and COL might not even make the playoffs. MVP doesn't go to best player, it goes to most valuable. If putting up points on a bad team gets you in the MVP discussion, then you can just give the award to McDavid every year. If you reward guys for who they do/don't play with, then I don't know how Anze Kopitar isn't the top MVP pick, b/c he does more with less than anybody in the league.

And can we please not forget that Mackinnon plays with Rantanen, who was a top-10 pick, and Landeskog who was a #2 overall, and Hall plays with Palmieri, who was a 30-goal scorer already, and Hischier, the #1 overall. It's not like they're playing with 4th liners.

B/c WPG is actually good. NJD and COL might not even make the playoffs.

MVP doesn't go to best player, it goes to most valuable. If putting up points on a bad team gets you in the MVP discussion, then you can just give the award to McDavid every year.

I'd use the playoffs/good team as perhaps a tie breaker, as I do believe the Hart should go to a guy from a playoff team.

Wheeler's on the outside of the discussion, for me. Great season, but there are several players, IMO, that are more valuable to their teams success.

WPG would make the playoffs without Wheeler, COL would have zero chance without MacKinnon. Who is most valuable to his team?

It doesn't matter. There are like 25 teams in the league who would have no chance if they lost X player.

Let's put it this way... CEO A runs a business that has 100 employees all making $50k and on the verge of being a Fortune 500 company, and CEO B runs with 10 employees who all make minimum wage but has no growth. If CEO B resigns, the business fails. Who is more valuable?

Nice example, but this is hockey. That didn't make sense.

But what makes Wheeler the MVP? He plays for one of the best teams in the league and he's not even top 10 in points league-wide, he's not a special two-way forward and most of his points comes on the PP (37 of 81, most in the NHL). He only got 19 goals (tied for 100th) and 2 GWG (tied for 156th) ffs. Winnipeg would be fine without him, hence not so valuable to his team.

MacKinnon on the other hand has 91 points in 65 games(!) playing for Colorado. 3rd in points league-wide (even missed some games to injury), he's 7th in goals, 1st in GWG with 11 and leads the league in P/GP.

I dont understand how anyone can have Wheeler ahead of MacKinnon.

MacKinnon up to 89 points in 64 games played. If Colorado makes it in, he's the MVP imo. Considering where the team was last year to what they've accomplished this year, it's pretty extraordinary.

Anyone who gets a chance to watch him enough will be struck by the fact that Nate leaps off the screen as the best player on the ice, every game this year. Without him the Avs record would be dramatically worse. They are competing for a spot because of him. He's been completely dominant, moreso than McDavid.

Likewise, I expect folks here have seen Hall enough this year. Fearless, reckless and relentless. He gets targeted and crushed every other game and gets back up astonishingly unfazed proceeding to score an important goal. He is carrying that team and also has consistently been the best player on the ice. Remarkable season, unbelievably dumb Chirelli trade. Hall is having the same impact and is very deserving.

I'd give it to Nate. He has been the NHL's regular season MVP. Put him on the Rangers this year and we are a playoff team.

Wheeler, Malkin, Kuch, McDavid, Carlson are all worthy of mention, yet runnerups. Nate and Hall have been so consistent, dynamic and impactual to their team's contention that they clearly are the front runners.

Archived