• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Lindgren Signs Entry-Level Deal with Rangers

Sod16

The focus of Larry Brooks's piece today is that Ryan Lindgren, who was thought to be staying in school, may leave to go pro. Minnesota just found out on Sunday that it's season is over. For what it's worth, I follow the Gophers, and I have to say that while Lindgren is definitely a good prospect (physical, smart) he doesn't strike me as NHL ready. Some years ago I said the same thing about Nick Leddy and was surprised when he left Minnesota. He was a quality NHL player almost immediately, calling into question my scouting prowess! I watched Charlie McAvoy in college last year, and Lindgren is not in the same universe. Then again, no one else on the ice was. I've watched a lot of Gopher Dmen who have went on to long NHL careers (Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, Keith Ballard, Alex Golegoski etc.). Lindgren is good but does not quite seem to be where all of those guys were when they left. They all left after three or four years. Lindgren just finished his second year.

The focus of Larry Brooks's piece today is that Ryan Lindgren, who was thought to be staying in school, may leave to go pro. Minnesota just found out on Sunday that it's season is over. For what it's worth, I follow the Gophers, and I have to say that while Lindgren is definitely a good prospect (physical, smart) he doesn't strike me as NHL ready. Some years ago I said the same thing about Nick Leddy and was surprised when he left Minnesota. He was a quality NHL player almost immediately, calling into question my scouting prowess! I watched Charlie McAvoy in college last year, and Lindgren is not in the same universe. Then again, no one else on the ice was. I've watched a lot of Gopher Dmen who have went on to long NHL careers (Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, Keith Ballard, Alex Golegoski etc.). Lindgren is good but does not quite seem to be where all of those guys were when they left. They all left after three or four years. Lindgren just finished his second year.

Well this worries me.

Sounds like Scott LaChance. Solid D, but always leaving you wanting more on the other side of the puck.

Going pro doesn't necessitate a run at the Rangers roster, specifically. Lindgren would most certainly benefit from time spent in the A, which would require a pro contract one way or another. But if I were him I'd stick around in the NCAA a while longer. At least another season (his third).

According to SNY via the athletic, he has decided to turn pro.

9:12PM: According to The Athletic, Lindgren has decided to sign with the Rangers.

Good. I'd like to see him in the Ahl too. I think it's easier to gauge what he might turn out to be by playing there vs playing @ Minnesota.

According to SNY via the athletic, he has decided to turn pro.

9:12PM: According to The Athletic, Lindgren has decided to sign with the Rangers.

Need a link here. I'm not seeing anything regarding his signing. Not at The Athletic, or otherwise.

Scratch that, I've found it.

Sources say sophomore defenseman Ryan Lindgren has opted to sign with the New York Rangers already.

https://theathletic.com/281865/2018/03/20/don-lucia-gophers-thomas-vanek-jordan-leopold-keith-ballard-memories/

--

This is from Michael Russo, who is about as plugged in a Minnesota source as you're going to find. Completely trustworthy.

Wrote about Lindgren potentially signing with the Rangers by this Friday:

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-prospect-lindgren-nhl/

The way I see it, there's no harm in adding him to the mix. Signing him now could mean a PTO with HFD, too, which would give them an early look at his professional game.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wrote about Lindgren potentially signing with the Rangers by this Friday:

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-prospect-lindgren-nhl/

The way I see it, there's no harm in adding him to the mix. Signing him now could mean a PTO with HFD, too, which would give them an early look at his professional game.

Yep. Get him in the hands of the Rangers. Let him develop under watchful eyes. I'm not a huge proponent of the NCAA's ability to develop hockey players.

I figured he'd go back given the depth on the blue line, but there's no harm at all in getting him signed now. He's 20, so it would have been this year or next to get him up at the pro level to see what they have.

For which team? Rangers don't have any depth. He probably saw an opportunity to make the team out of camp.

For which team? Rangers don't have any depth. He probably saw an opportunity to make the team out of camp.

Rangers have a metric ton of bodies. Especially on the left side. Skjei, Staal, Gilmour, O'Gara, Smith, Bereglazov, Day, Hajek, and Rykov are all there, albeit at various degrees of stability, for him to leap over.

Archived