• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My new pellet grill!

skunkman

Holiday here today, so tried something new.. Butterbath Chicken. You essentially poach chicken thighs in butter and hit with an hour and a half of smoke at the same time. Then, dunk them in your fav sauce and finish them off on indirect grill.

Whole meal cost $11 for family and meat was superb.

Holiday here today, so tried something new.. Butterbath Chicken. You essentially poach chicken thighs in butter and hit with an hour and a half of smoke at the same time. Then, dunk them in your fav sauce and finish them off on indirect grill.

Whole meal cost $11 for family and meat was superb.

Lucky you've got free healthcare or the coronary bill would cost more than $11.

• 2 months later...
Dunny, do you see yourself using the Weber performer after the genesis?

I was always a charcoal man and had the 22 inch master touch, but then I got a spirit 310 and it’s a game changer. I still smoke all my ribs and briskets on the WSM’s I have, but I can’t bring myself to waste the charcoal and spend 35 minutes waiting for the coal to ash over to grill a burger and a steak for dinner for my wife and I, lol.

Used the Charcoal for Thanksgiving Turkey. It blew my parents away. Don't think Dad wants to serve up the ole Christmas Vacation turkey again after he saw it. For what it can turn out with some TLC it stays on the deck until my wife throws it over the fence.

• 7 months later...

I deep fry the turkey if I’m home for thanksgiving. As much as I loved smoking beef, chicken and pork, a deep fryer is the way to go for turkey.

I saw the smoke fire. Do you think it’s better than using a WSM with a BBQ Guru?

Better? No.

Convenient? Yes.

The reviews for the Smokefire are pretty shit, but I'm a Weber fan boy and am willing to chance it, as you know they'll back it up with parts and service for whatever goes wrong. It just does things other pellet grills can't.

I bought the new Weber Smokefire today. Fap Fap Fap.

Divorce pending.

Gave my Weber Performer away to a good home.

so okay, is it good or bad? lol.

what does it do that other pellet grills cannot? I've been looking into a Traeger

It's a temperamental bitch to be sure, but new software and firmware updates have helped immensely, and you'll need the new parts for the hopper and auger. I think they're shipping with those now, in the US.

It's does one thing in particular that others don't. It gets really hot, really fast.

I did burgers last night, smoked them for 45 minutes or so on SmokeBoost mode (175 or so) and then cranked it up to 600, with no issue, to finish them. It has no issue searing, and the heat distribution is impeccable for a pellet grill, though I have the smaller EX4. I told my wife that the Genesis was now all hers, only fit for wife and kid duty.

I dunno, you may be wiser to pick a different brand. They have a lot to work on with the Smokefire. I hear good things about RecTec, and obviously Yoder if you want to put out the cash. I only buy Weber so this was always going to be my pick.

Traeger pellets are junk, and while the high end Traegers seem to still be very good, I'd be weary of their cheaper entries.

• Like 1

It's a temperamental bitch to be sure, but new software and firmware updates have helped immensely, and you'll need the new parts for the hopper and auger. I think they're shipping with those now, in the US.

It's does one thing in particular that others don't. It gets really hot, really fast.

I did burgers last night, smoked them for 45 minutes or so on SmokeBoost mode (175 or so) and then cranked it up to 600, with no issue, to finish them. It has no issue searing, and the heat distribution is impeccable for a pellet grill, though I have the smaller EX4. I told my wife that the Genesis was now all hers, only fit for wife and kid duty.

I dunno, you may be wiser to pick a different brand. They have a lot to work on with the Smokefire. I hear good things about RecTec, and obviously Yoder if you want to put out the cash. I only buy Weber so this was always going to be my pick.

Traeger pellets are junk, and while the high end Traegers seem to still be very good, I'd be weary of their cheaper entries.

if i were to do the Traeger, id be going the top of the line one so there's that. I don't know. Figured id make the decision after we redo the deck in a couple of months. End of the summer gift to myself lol

I put a pork butt on at 6 AM. Going to try some smoked Queso today, too.

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day indeed. I'll be grilling some steaks and spending some quality time with the little guy.

Gotta say, really jealous of you guys and your pellet grills. I'm going to be glad for a day where I've got the space for one of those bad boys.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Don't buy the Weber. You might see it at a smoking price right now, but don't do it.

It's consistently destroying my planned meals right now, including Thanksgiving. My confidence is entirely shattered. Starting out with hot dogs and working my way back up to where I was.

I loaned my Performer to a buddy when I got the Pellet Grill. He's not giving it back.

I have a fuck tonne of Spares I'm going to do, today. Trim them up St. Louis style. I only have to be at the rink for a couple hours today, so one more whirl on the BBQ this year.

• 1 year later...

My Weber Smokefire has been in limbo for almost 6 months. I returned it in the summer, Weber hasn't picked it up, yet. It was a catastrophe.

I replaced it with a Big Steel Keg Kamado. Wouldn't recommend.

One of my guys at work bought a Yoder. If you want to make a statement, buy a Yoder.

The best BBQ I've ever owned remains the Weber Kettle. It's just simply the most versatile, prettiest, economical grill ever invented.

As for next year, if I come in to money I'll be importing a Hasty Bake. If not, I'll be trading the Kamodo for another Kettle.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

My Weber Smokefire has been in limbo for almost 6 months. I returned it in the summer, Weber hasn't picked it up, yet. It was a catastrophe.

I replaced it with a Big Steel Keg Kamado. Wouldn't recommend.

One of my guys at work bought a Yoder. If you want to make a statement, buy a Yoder.

The best BBQ I've ever owned remains the Weber Kettle. It's just simply the most versatile, prettiest, economical grill ever invented.

As for next year, if I come in to money I'll be importing a Hasty Bake. If not, I'll be trading the Kamodo for another Kettle.

I loved my Weber kettle. Had the performer one in copper. I mastered cook8mg with it which is no East task given it’s charcoal, but I just am in a state where I want the best of both worlds. Ease of operation and flavor. Charcoal gives you flavor but at a hefty cost with time, energy, etc. I thought maybe pellet was the best of both worlds.

Ive been looking at pit boss pro series. Has a sear feature where you can open grates to a flame but it’s best to use in reverse sear, i.e. cook first and sear at the end. Seems a bit weird to me. Downside is it only goes to a max of 500 degrees which is very mediocre if we are talking simple grilling. Smoking is great as it has 10 degree temp range before 300. 

just soooooooo confusing.