Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Brady Skjei Expendable?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Is Brady Skjei Expendable?

All told, Skjei has played like a supplemental defender capable of playing 20:00 a night and is better suited to the second pairing or as the running mate of an elite top defenseman. He’s a step up from Marc Staal but a slight step down from McDonagh.

If Gorton and the rest of the Rangers brass recognize this and don’t believe Skjei can develop into a more elite talent, then being open to moving him now while his value is high would be the smart play. That’s particularly true if the recently acquired Libor Hajek and Yegor Rykov have similar upsides and can fill his role.
    Assuming that Skjei isn’t a number one defenseman—shortsighted as that may be—and both Rykov and Hajek turn out to be strong but complimentary players, the Blueshirts will have with three strikingly similar left-handed defensemen. Moving forward, it would be prudent to flip one, namely Skjei, for an elite defender who can serve as the anchor for the group. Without speculating what kind of package it would take to make a move, there are two ways to get the strongest return for Skjei if the target is a defenseman.

First, and perhaps most practically, a trade package built with Skjei as a starter might convince the Ottawa Senators to move Erik Karlsson, as they were close to at the deadline, or the Los Angeles Kings to move Drew Doughty if they can’t come to a contract agreement soon. It’s rare that premiere talent, still in their prime, change jerseys but with Karlsson all but gone and Doughty playing on a team trending more towards the lottery than Stanley Cup contention, it’s not inconceivable that one or both could move at next year’s deadline.
    https://thehockeywriters.com/brady-s...-acquisitions/

--

Please don't rage at the title. There's a method to the madness that may not actually be so mad.

This would no doubt be a painful trigger to pull, but Mike (Future) makes a strong case here.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don't understand this at all.

Why would we trade Skjei for a rental next season...When it's likely we won't be very good and Hajek and Rykov won't even be here so we have no idea what they will be like in the NHL?

The fanbase continues to be fickle and impatient with players. Last year Skjei was being called a stud, this year (after trading McD), he's expendable.

Again, on one on this team should be judged on their performance—This year—during this dumpster fire.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I don't think he's actually expendable. I understand what Mike is going after here, and he's not wrong. I just think he's using the wrong barometer to make the call (if Skjei is a #1 or not). Even if he isn't, he's worth keeping. Especially since this poor season has probably drawn from his overall asking price. Even if he's Jake Gardiner or Shayne Gostisbehere—strong second-pairing producers who can maybe ride shotgun to a real #1—that's worth keeping.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division
    I think Skjei should stay at the Rangers and be given time to develop.
    I'm also unsure as to what kind of package including Skjei we could put together that would beat offers the Kings and Sens are likely to have for Doughty and Karlsson.

Deleted Midget Division
    I see Skjei's peak as current Ryan McDonagh which is to say a great skating/neutralizing 2 way defensemen with limited direct offensive potential.

But with slightly more size.

So if you think Ryan McDonagh is a 1st pairing defenseman in today's NHL, that should give you your answer.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Our blueline is brutal so we want to trade the glimmer of hope in a 23 year old? He’s shown that he can be a VERY VERY good player, can’t judge him in a season like this. Everyone was terrible.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Way too early in his development to be making this kind of decision (if he's a #1 or not). I think he's a young guy that has taken on too much responsibility in light of the Rangers struggles this year. He seems to be forcing the game which is not in his comfort zone. I think he settles in as he matures and gets back to playing a more basic style. He might not be an elite 1st pairing D but I think he settles into the role of a sole 1st pairing d-man in the next few years.

Mike!! Did you or Brooks come up with this idea? WTF! No seriously, pull yourself back a step from overthinking this thing.

We have no competent NHL dmen, at least in the top 4, except for one guy. And if you watch the guy you can see he is a good sized, healthy, great skating, talented young fast dman. He's demonstrated he can be strong in all areas on the ice. Be a scout, watch the plays, the abilities, the instincts and various competencies. Don't overreact too far during this dumpster fire where the coach has to go. Do not just view the numbers, analytics and mistakes.

Skjei is more likely to bounce back and have his best year ever, than someone overpaying for him. What is the point of trading Skjei unless we get an overpay.

Or, is this is just about you figuring out a way to bring Karlsson here and Skjei is a critical piece. I'm concerned his ankle/foot may continue to impact his career. Big gamble.
    Let's draft a great Dman instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Way too early in his development to be making this kind of decision (if he's a #1 or not). I think he's a young guy that has taken on too much responsibility in light of the Rangers struggles this year. He seems to be forcing the game which is not in his comfort zone. I think he settles in as he matures and gets back to playing a more basic style. He might not be an elite 1st pairing D but I think he settles into the role of a sole 1st pairing d-man in the next few years.
    Exactly. Absolutely. I should have said that instead.

Moderator Junior Division
    Holy cow.

IF Rykov/Hajek are as good as Skjei, then you think about moving him. That's all this says.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Holy cow.

IF Rykov/Hajek are as good as Skjei, then you think about moving him. That's all this says.
    Will be a few years before we know that perhaps. We will have to be patient with all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's coming off a 39 point rookie season and we are having a conversation about possibly trading him because of two guys who haven't even touched NHL ice yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Will be a few years before we know that perhaps. We will have to be patient with all 3.

I agree with this.

We are loaded with young players, prospects and picks. Why are we so quick to trade them away?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post

Exactly. Article talks about moving Skjei for a rental next year...We won't know anything about Hajek or Rykov at that point.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Exactly. Article talks about moving Skjei for a rental next year...We won't know anything about Hajek or Rykov at that point.
    True.
    And even after a they arrive in the NHL, will be at least another year before we have a grasp of their ceiling.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Everyone is expendable for the right deal. The key is getting the right deal. This team severely lacks quality defensemen right now so it would have to be very worthwhile.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Everything hinges on an unknown.

How long does management view the rebuild lasting. If it's going to be 2-3 years before the Rangers will start climbing back up the latter, then that puts Skjei around 27-years-old with a couple years left under contract at the bottom of the team being competitive again. That's a tough spot to be in. He could still have tremendous value, he could be starting the McDonagh slide.

I don't move Skjei for Karlsson unless a new deal for Karlsson has already been negotiated AND the Rangers just signed Tavares as a UFA. Then the rebuild can be over and the team can make some runs with their in-thier-prime stars and a bunch of young players on ELCs filling out important roles.

Ultimately though, this isn't something we can answer today. Mike's article is food for thought moving forward though.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    I agree with this.

We are loaded with young players, prospects and picks. Why are we so quick to trade them away?
    It's an article for the purpose of starting a conversation about potential future (no pun intended) scenarios. In no way, shape, or form is it a campaign to trade Skjei as soon as possible...

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Not every player is a #1 at their position. That doesn't mean they're expendable. He's not as good as McDonaugh. So what? He's still an NHL defensemen.
    GORTON 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast