Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Kreider for Oilers Klefbom Serves Both Teams

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Rangers Kreider for Oilers Klefbom Serves Both Teams

Fueled by unequal parts injury, suboptimal performance, and salary cap concerns as the team is set to enter the $100 million Connor McDavid era, the Oilers appear poised yet again to try and trade their way out of this tailspin. This time, as Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports, it’s Oscar Klefbom’s turn to flap in the trade winds.

Meanwhile, back in the East, the New York Rangers—similarly disappointed with their lot but heading in the right direction—might have a solution to Peter Chiarelli’s problem. Though they’ve just begun the arduous process of rebuilding their club, it’d be awfully difficult for Jeff Gorton to pass up on an opportunity to potentially join the growing list of NHL general managers who’ve fleeced Chiarelli in the recent past.

The logic as to why the two clubs would deal with each other at this junction is rather simple. The Rangers, now without Ryan McDonagh, could really use a shot in the arm on their blueline. Conversely, the Oilers could use a speedy winger capable of keeping pace with McDavid. You can probably see where this is headed already. Chris Kreider for Oscar Klefbom, anyone?

To win the deal, perhaps Gorton, who has repeatedly referenced a desire to “rebuild on the fly” in New York, could not only pick up Klefbom but additional assets to boot. Kailer Yamamoto, the Oilers’ first-round pick (22nd overall) from 2017, or Jesse Puljujärvi, selected fourth overall in 2016, are probably both a bridge too far, but perhaps one of the Oilers’ second tier prospects such as Tyler Benson, Ostap Safin, and/or Dmitri Samorukov could tilt the scales in the Blueshirts’ favor? Even if Gorton needed to send a defenseman back to Edmonton in the deal, he has a plethora of lower-end options including Neal Pionk and John Gilmour to pick from that shouldn’t significantly harm his club’s coffers.
    https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers...ilers-klefbom/

--

The only thing I can ask is that you sheath your knives—at least temporarily—and read this for the full context. It makes more sense than you might think.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The deal doesn't work for the Oilers, IMO. Why would they trade defense? Chiarelli doesn't seem as smart as he used to, but it's a little disingenuous to say the deal serves both teams.

Kreider makes sense for the Oilers, but not at the price of Klefbom.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I think that’s a pretty good deal for the Rangers.
    Not entirely convinced it works for the Oilers, but Chiarelli doesn’t think like everybody else.

Junior Member Mite Division ProxyCentauri's Avatar
    Everyone is for sale in Rangers atm but Kreider looks more like a man for the future than say-Zuc.
    Change Zuc with KK in this deal and it makes more sense to me

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I don't think Klefbom is nearly as good as people think, but sure, he's a top 4 on a good team and we need a D-Man. If Maroon looked good with McDavid, imagine Kreider.

I don't hate it. Want something else though to go with Kreider and their cupboard is bare.

Senior Member Midget Division
    everything should well be looked at. no doubt we need top quality on the back end. would like to see the veteran presence added here.

there is no one on this roster right now i would not move under the right circumstance.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I'd quit.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

"We will get younger, faster, and more skilled."

"Let's Get Klefblom!"

It only takes an amateur fan to realize the importance of Kreider, to this team, simply based on the last few weeks of play. His presence in the lineup is vital to the Rangers, and much more than anything that Klefblom would provide.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    "We will get younger, faster, and more skilled."

"Let's Get Klefblom!"
    Well, he’s 2 years younger, has a fairly complete two way skill set and is a very good skater for a d.
    Not convinced you have a point here.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I don't see how it makes any sense for either team.

Why would Edmonton trade one of their better D-men? They need to add D not take away from what little they have. I don't see Edmonton looking to add any forwards via trade to play with McDavid. IMO, they would learn from Pitt, and see that they can plug in almost anyone onto a line with one of the best centers on the planet. Bargain shopping and playing younger cost effective players from within should be the way to go. Using Lucic there should maybe be revisited.

The Rangers need veteran D men. Sure. I think Kreiders size and ability would be a guy you keep around in a rrebuild. Definitely a player who could make life a little easier for younger players coming in, as well as anyone willing to sign here. And for a 2nd pairing type of D man, I say a hard no.

Only way I see the 2 teams as trade partners would be in a salary dump, with the Rangers taking Lucics contract. Thus letting the Oilers free up cap space to sign a Dman this summer or next.

I’d rather have Puljujärvi and Yamato back than Klefbom. I really don’t want to trade Kreider and not for a fledging defenseman who is very overrated.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    I would hard pass on this one.

To everyone asking why Edmonton would trade a defenseman, I'm not the one to ask. I'm working off the report that Friedman put out there that Klefbom was being shopped. Why would they? Ask Chiarelli. The same guy who flipped Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome, and essentially dealt Barzal and a second for Griffin Reinhart.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I’d rather have Puljujärvi and Yamato back than Klefbom. I really don’t want to trade Kreider and not for a fledging defenseman who is very overrated.
    How is he fledgling? He's averaged more minutes at a younger age than Girardi, Boyle, Staal, and Yandle did as Rangers.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    To everyone asking why Edmonton would trade a defenseman, I'm not the one to ask. I'm working off the report that Friedman put out there that Klefbom was being shopped. Why would they? Ask Chiarelli. The same guy who flipped Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome, and essentially dealt Barzal and a second for Griffin Reinhart.

I didnt read the article, but I'd assume it'd be a Kelfbom + top prospect for OEL type of deal. I cant see them deal for a wing, when they are in desperate need of defensive talent. And its not like he's on a bad contract.

If Nurse kills it next season, Larsson is on his game, they get a top D in the draft, and have one emerge as a capable top-4 during the season, then they might pertain an idea like this close to the deadline, but it doesn't help them at this point.

"I didn't listen to your argument, so let me presume one easier to refute by assigning it to you"

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post

The Friedman piece was a 31 thoughts about why Klefbom was playing when rumor had it he was hurt. Friedman speculates he's being showcased. That's not the same as a Friedman report that a player is being shopped, which carries much more weight. I know the source is reliable, but he is still (by his own admission) speculating.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Edmonton needs scoring and a goalie more than a defenseman. They gotta give to get.

Last year I had issues getting tix, this year I could have went to every game after Halloween. They need to figure it out quickly.

He also spoke to it on Sportsnet, but that's fine. I agree, he is speculating. Yet his speculation infers they're looking to move a defense. Perhaps they aren't in actuality, but there's merit to it.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast