Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Looking Ahead: Seven Quick Thoughts

  1. #41
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Who is going to play on this team next year? I feel your poise about the draft and the rebuild, but I feel you are a bit too enamored with the whole idea.

    The Rangers will need to ice a team next season. There will have to be some veterans and some contracts on the team.
    Agreed, we'll see what mgmt does regarding NHL ready players. We won't get rid of every vet. Yet a couple may/should not be part of the team in a year or two. Staal, maybe one of Zuc/Spooner and Shatty because we are overloaded with D'Angelo and other shitty younger and cheaper dmen to play the third pair.

    BTW, I suggested trading Zuc or Spoon to upgrade our pick for a guy like Tkachuk, who we can add to the lineup. A package for a top prospect or a dman like Dermott or Fabbro would be worth it too.

    I don't see the Rangers trying to add more first rounders
    Agree. We may be more likely to move around. Maybe trade one of the later firsts for an NHL ready prospect or player we like from a team that falls in love with a draft prospect. What about Ottawa wanting picks, to purge salary and get rid of Ryan. Why not trade Tampa's picks (or everything we got from Boston) and pick up Ryan's contract for Mark Stone. There's our first line winger! Ryan works great for a 4th line of Lias and Fast.

    nor do i think whats left to trade would be any teams top priority to trade for. Especially not a top 10 pick. I just think they are done looking to add more draft picks. Prospects maybe, but i don't think it would be wise to sell assets and go all in on one single draft.
    Well, I was talking about upgrading our pick into the top 5. Or another pick into the top 10-12. Zuc and Spoon have enough value that I'd only trade one for specific targets, and not at a discount. They are good hockey players and getting hot now. Shatty is a diff story, he is a defensive liability coming off an injury, making more than Zuc. So I'd move him, but wouldn't expect a similar return.

    The D is in shambles. Shattenkirk stays because they desperately need NHL caliber players and his contract is actually pretty good.

    The Rangers will not ice an AHL roster next season.
    Definitely a shambles and sure he probably stays, with the rest. But if there is a trade, they are still the likely candidates.

    As for free agency, none of the forwards really work for me. Nash or Grabs are the most attractive, if the contract is friendly. I'd offer Jon Moore (27) a contract or take a chance on de Haan (26) recovering. The only other decent Dman under 30 is Carlson who will cost a fortune.

    Both Chytil and Lias could be here by xmas, one probably right out of camp, if not both. Only Hajek (of the new prospects) has a chance out of camp, but he will be best served starting in Hartford.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 03-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Idk, feel if the Rangers are packaging their first rounder with Zuc, they are not getting back equal value. I'd only do so for Dahlin, and I don't see anyone accepting that package.

    Im not entirely sure DeAngelo makes the roster next season. Im thinking he is dealt in a small reclamation project type of trade, where they get a struggling young forward, or even a salary dump of a semi underachieving vet. Maybe Bobby Ryan, or Lucic with some salary retention if possible, along with a pick or prospect.

    I see no reason to make room for DeAngelo or anyone else except for the dude they got for Graves. Maybe Day? Is anyone going to be ready to play next season? In not thinking so.

    If the Rangers aren't going for Tavares, then theres no need to dump salary on guys like Staal or Shattenkirk. I don't think anyone will be beating down the Rangers door looking to deal for them.

    Free agent forwards are interesting to me. JVR, Hornqvist, Nash, Grabner, Antoine Roussel and of course Kovalchuk.. All are incredibly interesting options. Two of which will likely want to come here at a discount.

    I definitely go for deHaan, Jack Johnson could be a fit. There are a ton of RFA D-men that maybe match up for a trade... And im not even thinking about the top ones. I'm talking Paul LaDue and Ryan Murphy types. Temp/ fill in, scrap heap guys.

    Or maybe you do go for a big name and float out an offer sheet to a Trouba, Dumba, Theodore, Morrisey or Murray. A bunch of these teams are going to be pressed for the cap. Over paying money wise for Trouba could be worth it. I don't feel like looking up what the draft pick compensation would be, but it may be worth it.

    If one of Chytil or Andersson aren't here to start the season, I will be concerned. The way the organization is hyping these kids, it sounds like they should be able to make the team. We'll see. And besides them... Theres nothing that screams ready at this moment.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Idk, feel if the Rangers are packaging their first rounder with Zuc, they are not getting back equal value. I'd only do so for Dahlin, and I don't see anyone accepting that package.
    If value is not there, we don't do it. However, potential trading partners are teams:
    1) in a win now mode
    2) pressed up against the cap with RFAs or
    3) wanting to add/move pick(s)

    We need to be opportunistic and a little creative and land some actual NHL players once the off season begins in earnest.

    Im not entirely sure DeAngelo makes the roster next season. Im thinking he is dealt in a small reclamation project type of trade, where they get a struggling young forward, or even a salary dump of a semi underachieving vet. Maybe Bobby Ryan, or Lucic with some salary retention if possible, along with a pick or prospect.
    D'Angelo is getting better, you are giving up on him way early. Look at his skills, he manages the puck well, makes precise passes, skates strong with and w/o the puck. He's 21, quick and strong for his size. Who else plays RD next year? OK, you have Shatty (a defensive liability who isn't getting better) cause we can't get value in return. D'Angelo and Hajek are our best D prospects. Pionk is a distant runnerup and pretty questionable. Hajek should start the year in Hartford. Rykov will be playing for SKA. Bigras is a lottery ticket, Day is not here next year, Dunny says never.

    Lucic is selfish, slow and sucks. League minimum 4th liner. I want no part of any salary dump or any consistently underachieving vet, let alone both. We have Staal, Hank and Shatty to provide those things.

    Only reason to take Ryan is because it could be the only way to acquire Mark Stone (+10, PPG on the worst team in the league) at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, fuck Ryan. Stone (25) will command a huge contract which Melnyck will be loathe to pay. He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks.

    Free agent forwards are interesting to me. JVR, Hornqvist, Nash, Grabner, Antoine Roussel and of course Kovalchuk.. All are incredibly interesting options. Two of which will likely want to come here at a discount. I definitely go for deHaan, Jack Johnson could be a fit.
    * JVR is great in front of the net, but will be 29 and probably gets 6 X 6. No
    * Hornqvist will be 32 in Jan and sure to get over 5 mil for too many years. No.
    * Roussel I like as a 4th liner, but would rather Grabner for 3 years at the slightly higher price.
    * Nash for 3 years would be nice, if he doesn't win the cup. Boston already loves him though.
    * Can we do Kovy for 1 year? More scares me. Year to year gentleman's agreement. Prefer Nash or Grabs.

    * We bargain shop and get de Haan, who recovers 100% and doesn't miss a beat.

    * Been watching Jon Moore and he continues to play well, facing opponents top lines. He can skate the puck with authority and passes well. He'll generate interest and cost more than de Haan, but his value to $ could be reasonable. We have a spot for him om the 2nd pair. Wouldn't be surprised if the Devils try to keep him and the Isles the same with de Haan.

    There are a ton of RFA D-men that maybe match up for a trade...
    Or maybe you do go for a big name and float out an offer sheet to a Trouba, Dumba, Theodore, Morrisey or Murray. A bunch of these teams are going to be pressed for the cap. Over paying money wise for Trouba could be worth it. I don't feel like looking up what the draft pick compensation would be, but it may be worth it.
    That's exactly the type of thinking mgmt needs. Not so much the offer sheet, cause the comp would be huge, but the Jets will be up against it. They have ridiculous upcoming contracts to Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, among others. It appears they'll have to move someone, Trouba the likely candidate. Minny too. Ottawa, just cause they are cheap and sellers. Though, Stone is the only real target there.

    If one of Chytil or Andersson aren't here to start the season, I will be concerned. The way the organization is hyping these kids, it sounds like they should be able to make the team. We'll see. And besides them... Theres nothing that screams ready at this moment.
    Besides Chytil and Lias, I wouldn't expect any to be ready except D'Angelo. So scout his every shift the rest of this season. Pionk can be our longshot. Maybe Lettieri or Nieves can push for a 4th line spot. Hajek could make a push sometime next year. Bring him up if ready and we are competing.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 03-12-2018 at 07:58 PM.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Forgot about Detroit and Athanasiou. A 2nd rounder and a 3rd next year?

  5. #45
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,803
    Rep Power
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    If value is not there, we don't do it. However, potential trading partners are teams:
    1) in a win now mode
    2) pressed up against the cap with RFAs or
    3) wanting to add/move pick(s)

    We need to be opportunistic and a little creative and land some actual NHL players once the off season begins in earnest.



    D'Angelo is getting better, you are giving up on him way early. Look at his skills, he manages the puck well, makes precise passes, skates strong with and w/o the puck. He's 21, quick and strong for his size. Who else plays RD next year? OK, you have Shatty (a defensive liability who isn't getting better) cause we can't get value in return. D'Angelo and Hajek are our best D prospects. Pionk is a distant runnerup and pretty questionable. Hajek should start the year in Hartford. Rykov will be playing for SKA. Bigras is a lottery ticket, Day is not here next year, Dunny says never.

    Lucic is selfish, slow and sucks. League minimum 4th liner. I want no part of any salary dump or any consistently underachieving vet, let alone both. We have Staal, Hank and Shatty to provide those things.

    Only reason to take Ryan is because it could be the only way to acquire Mark Stone (+10, PPG on the worst team in the league) at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, fuck Ryan. Stone (25) will command a huge contract which Melnyck will be loathe to pay. He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks.



    * JVR is great in front of the net, but will be 29 and probably gets 6 X 6. No
    * Hornqvist will be 32 in Jan and sure to get over 5 mil for too many years. No.
    * Roussel I like as a 4th liner, but would rather Grabner for 3 years at the slightly higher price.
    * Nash for 3 years would be nice, if he doesn't win the cup. Boston already loves him though.
    * Can we do Kovy for 1 year? More scares me. Year to year gentleman's agreement. Prefer Nash or Grabs.

    * We bargain shop and get de Haan, who recovers 100% and doesn't miss a beat.

    * Been watching Jon Moore and he continues to play well, facing opponents top lines. He can skate the puck with authority and passes well. He'll generate interest and cost more than de Haan, but his value to $ could be reasonable. We have a spot for him om the 2nd pair. Wouldn't be surprised if the Devils try to keep him and the Isles the same with de Haan.



    That's exactly the type of thinking mgmt needs. Not so much the offer sheet, cause the comp would be huge, but the Jets will be up against it. They have ridiculous upcoming contracts to Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, among others. It appears they'll have to move someone, Trouba the likely candidate. Minny too. Ottawa, just cause they are cheap and sellers. Though, Stone is the only real target there.



    Besides Chytil and Lias, I wouldn't expect any to be ready except D'Angelo. So scout his every shift the rest of this season. Pionk can be our longshot. Maybe Lettieri or Nieves can push for a 4th line spot. Hajek could make a push sometime next year. Bring him up if ready and we are competing.
    Hornqvist isn't UFA. He re-signed.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Im really not in agreement with you about Shattenkirk. You are writing the guy off really quickly. This is a guy who took less money to come here. Guy wanted to be a Ranger. Im not huge on his defensive game, but you are making him sound more awful than he actually is. Inturn you give DeAngelo major props for being a much, much, MUCH lesser version of Shattenkirk.. You also throw Lundqvist onto the fire as a "consistently underachieving vet"... ? Come on. Yes, hes overpaid. Hes certainly not underachieving.

    On giving up on DeAngelo. Im not the only one. Frikken Arizona threw him into the Stepan deal, as they didn't seem to want him around. The Rangers had no use for him up until the Firesale. Lets be honest. Hes done nothing with his time to showcase his goods. Nothing. Nevermind the defensive disaster he is. If he were racking up the points, I wouldn't care. 31 games 8 assists and minus 3,085. Im no longer a believer.

    Maybe a Zuc or Spooner can be a part of a package for a bigger RFA D man. But i doubt it. I think the two I mentioned are more likely type of scenario's.

    I honestly don't see any of those free agents getting more than 3-4 years. Kovy you give no more than 2. I want a useful energy player. I think Roussel fits a major need. His style of play and attitude on the ice would be a breathe of fresh air.

    I want no part of Jon Moore. None. I'd rather give that money back to Holden. deHaan or Holden. Then deal for a lower lever RFA and start a reclamation project. Unless Winnipeg wants a late 1st rounder and some garbage for Trouba...

    I'd take Bobby Ryan on 50% salary retention at the cost of shitty DeAngelo. Lucic too. Lucic can atleast play with size and put in 20 goals. He can also play center if need be.

    I don't give that Boston or Tampa package for Matt Stone....... That puts this team right back where it was. Why deal Miller if you are going to bring in a similar production player, who doesn't fit the speed game you desire?
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-13-2018 at 06:04 AM.

  7. #47
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,803
    Rep Power
    492
    The only UFA defenseman that really fills a need is Carlson. Can handle top defensive assignment and right handed.

    Lucic isn't a center and just went about a month without recording a single point...playing with the best offensive player in the world.

    Shattenkirk might not want to be here if the rest of his contract are rebuild years.

    We can't continue to judge players in a silo right now. The entire team is a mess. Only Spooner looks competent. You've been trying to package D'Angleo since we traded for him, before he played a single game. If he's so terrible that Arizona threw him into the Stepan deal, and he's been terrible here for us (don't agree with either), by that logic...who'd want to take him from us?
    Last edited by Pete; 03-13-2018 at 06:27 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,715
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't give that Boston or Tampa package for Matt Stone....... That puts this team right back where it was. Why deal Miller if you are going to bring in a similar production player, who doesn't fit the speed game you desire?
    That's not true. Miller's best season was in 16/17 when he score 56 points. Stone has three seasons with over 60 points, including this year pacing a ppg on one of the worst teams in the league. Miller also got 1g, 15a in 40 playoff games, Stone has 6g, 10a in 27 playoff games.

    Stone >> Miller by far.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    That's not true. Miller's best season was in 16/17 when he score 56 points. Stone has three seasons with over 60 points, including this year pacing a ppg on one of the worst teams in the league. Miller also got 1g, 15a in 40 playoff games, Stone has 6g, 10a in 27 playoff games.

    Stone >> Miller by far.
    I don't put stock in a player leading his losing team in scoring. Hes obviously not the problem, but hes not helping them win.

    Stone isnt a difference maker, is more along the lines of what I meant. Miller wasn't either IMO.

    Miller is a better skater, probably more well rounded and as a person who didn't buy into Miller being physical, id say hes also more physical than Stone. Stone is a year older as well.

    Definitely not ready to send a boatload of picks and prospects for Mark frikken Stone.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-13-2018 at 11:37 AM.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,715
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't put stock in a player leading his losing team in scoring. Hes obviously not the problem, but hes not helping them win.

    Stone isnt a difference maker, is more along the lines of what I meant. Miller wasn't either IMO.

    Miller is a better skater, probably more well rounded and as a person who didn't buy into Miller being physical, id say hes also more physical than Stone. Stone is a year older as well.

    Definitely not ready to send a boatload of picks and prospects for Mark frikken Stone.
    That was not the proposal from Giac either. Tampa's 1st + a little something (ADA/Vesey) for Stone and Ryan. That's not a boatload of picks and prospects, thats 1 pick in a draft we got three 1st and a B-/C Level prospect/Middle 6 winger. Now I dont know if that will be enough for Ottawa, probably not, but its a deal I would do with my eyes closed.

    Stone was #6 in 16/17 Selke award, he has a much better career +/- (on a worse team over the years) and averages a lot more shorthanded TOI, so your argument about Miller being a more well rounded player is not true.

    Stone is a legit first line winger, Miller is an inconsistent 2nd line/middle 6 winger.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't put stock in a player leading his losing team in scoring. Hes obviously not the problem, but hes not helping them win.

    Stone isnt a difference maker, is more along the lines of what I meant. Miller wasn't either IMO.

    Miller is a better skater, probably more well rounded and as a person who didn't buy into Miller being physical, id say hes also more physical than Stone. Stone is a year older as well.

    Definitely not ready to send a boatload of picks and prospects for Mark frikken Stone.
    '
    Dude, this was a possible solution to "needing to ice a team with some vets next year". Our third 1st rounder and Tampa's 2019 pick (if they don't win the cup this year), plus we take on Ryan salary for Stone. Or the same 1st, a third this year and next, Lindgren and Gilmour/O'Gara. That add 2 vets, one a legit 1st line scorer who is 25 and plays a complete game. And we still have most of the picks.

    It is understandable you underrate Stone, you are not the only one, he's hype free. However, he's logged 62 points in 58 games this year. Plus/minus usually doesn't tell much, but there are no Ottawa regs in the plus except Stone is a +9. For reference, Karlsson is a minus 27. Their coach considers Stone one of the best D forwards on the team and lauds his leadership. He doesn't make mistakes, no stupid penalties, plays all ST.

    Coincidently, just read an article today suggesting the Av's offer sheet him for 7 x 7+ mil (thinking Melnyk can't match) and giving up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Interestingly, they already have Ottawas 1st and 3rd this year. Doubt we get the first unmatched offer sheet since 2007, but it is a good barometer for value.

    It's not fair to compare Miller to Stone, I didn't. He is not in his league, nor is it relevent. Even if you consider him improving away from AV, he is still a second liner. Stone is a 1st on pretty much any team.

    You obviously don't like Stone and Ryan for essentially our last first and a Tampas 2nd next year. That's fine, but IMO Ottawa wouldn't make that mistake. I could see Colorado offering better picks, but doubt they want the extra salary in Ryan. And you never know how impulsive the owner gets if he has a team ready to take on Ryan that isn't part of a Karlsson deal. He is soooo cheap.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Im really not in agreement with you about Shattenkirk. You are writing the guy off really quickly. This is a guy who took less money to come here. Guy wanted to be a Ranger. Im not huge on his defensive game, but you are making him sound more awful than he actually is. Inturn you give DeAngelo major props for being a much, much, MUCH lesser version of Shattenkirk.. You also throw Lundqvist onto the fire as a "consistently underachieving vet"... ? Come on. Yes, hes overpaid. Hes certainly not underachieving.

    On giving up on DeAngelo. Im not the only one. Frikken Arizona threw him into the Stepan deal, as they didn't seem to want him around. The Rangers had no use for him up until the Firesale. Lets be honest. Hes done nothing with his time to showcase his goods. Nothing. Nevermind the defensive disaster he is. If he were racking up the points, I wouldn't care. 31 games 8 assists and minus 3,085. Im no longer a believer.
    Haven't given up on Shatty, he's a damn excellent PP point man. I really like the person too. Unfortunately at 29 his defensive play is not going to improve, unless the knee made him absolutely horrible this year. But he was a defensive liability last year with the Blues and Caps. His 5 on 5 offense fell off enough to remind me of last year. Given his age and salary/term and all the other younger d liabilities, if he is not all-in on a rebuild we should let him establish some value back and then move on. He has a say in if he wants to go, and where.

    As for D'Angelo, he is a poorer version of Shatty on O and has to hone his vision, knowledge and poise to be able to make the passes Shatty does on the PP. However, he is already his equal defensively (not saying much) and he is young and inexperienced enough to have plenty of room to grow. Unfortunately, he gets an MRI today and may lose valuable NHL learning time. Hoping this MRI turns out fine.

    I completely understand that you've given up on him, that he hasn't showed you enough. I see a lot of potential (even though the results are not there) and think he can still imporve with some luck (health) and coaching. You may be right, I'm just not as confident as you that he is a lost cause.

    Hank, was just joking, except he does fits into the overpaid vet category with a NMC.

    I honestly don't see any of those free agents getting more than 3-4 years. Kovy you give no more than 2. I want a useful energy player. I think Roussel fits a major need. His style of play and attitude on the ice would be a breathe of fresh air.
    If we can't add any other forwards, I'd like Roussel on a shorter cheap deal. I wanted him a few years ago. However, he is a pure 4th liner at this point and unlike Grabs or Fast, he can not consistently play up in the lineup and be as effective.

    I want no part of Jon Moore. None. I'd rather give that money back to Holden. deHaan or Holden. Then deal for a lower lever RFA and start a reclamation project. Unless Winnipeg wants a late 1st rounder and some garbage for Trouba...
    Not sure why you hate Moore, we'll just agree to disagree. We agree on de Haan, but I'm not interested in Holden, even if he is doing fine in Boston.

    As for the Jets and Trouba, now you are talking. They have upcoming cap issues and would like cheap assets. It's a longshot, but we have a 1st and 2nd to offer, for starters. Maybe there is another cheap asset or two that would interest them.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 03-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    That was not the proposal from Giac either. Tampa's 1st + a little something (ADA/Vesey) for Stone and Ryan. That's not a boatload of picks and prospects, thats 1 pick in a draft we got three 1st and a B-/C Level prospect/Middle 6 winger. Now I dont know if that will be enough for Ottawa, probably not, but its a deal I would do with my eyes closed.
    "He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks."

    Yeah... It was..

    Stone was #6 in 16/17 Selke award, he has a much better career +/- (on a worse team over the years) and averages a lot more shorthanded TOI, so your argument about Miller being a more well rounded player is not true.

    Stone is a legit first line winger, Miller is an inconsistent 2nd line/middle 6 winger.
    I don't think I meant that Miller is better defensively. More or less a guy that does a few more things. Like being a better skater, being more physical, using his speed to cut to the net, and a better shot. I definitely didn't know about Stone being a selke candidate though. Never noticed his defensive instincts as a big attribute. Just saw him as a guy that can pop in 20 goals, getting good ice time.

    Perhaps im downplaying his skill level, but i still don't want to add him to the roster.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    '
    Dude, this was a possible solution to "needing to ice a team with some vets next year". Our third 1st rounder and Tampa's 2019 pick (if they don't win the cup this year), plus we take on Ryan salary for Stone. Or the same 1st, a third this year and next, Lindgren and Gilmour/O'Gara. That add 2 vets, one a legit 1st line scorer who is 25 and plays a complete game. And we still have most of the picks.

    It is understandable you underrate Stone, you are not the only one, he's hype free. However, he's logged 62 points in 58 games this year. Plus/minus usually doesn't tell much, but there are no Ottawa regs in the plus except Stone is a +9. For reference, Karlsson is a minus 27. Their coach considers Stone one of the best D forwards on the team and lauds his leadership. He doesn't make mistakes, no stupid penalties, plays all ST.

    Coincidently, just read an article today suggesting the Av's offer sheet him for 7 x 7+ mil (thinking Melnyk can't match) and giving up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Interestingly, they already have Ottawas 1st and 3rd this year. Doubt we get the first unmatched offer sheet since 2007, but it is a good barometer for value.

    It's not fair to compare Miller to Stone, I didn't. He is not in his league, nor is it relevent. Even if you consider him improving away from AV, he is still a second liner. Stone is a 1st on pretty much any team.

    You obviously don't like Stone and Ryan for essentially our last first and a Tampas 2nd next year. That's fine, but IMO Ottawa wouldn't make that mistake. I could see Colorado offering better picks, but doubt they want the extra salary in Ryan. And you never know how impulsive the owner gets if he has a team ready to take on Ryan that isn't part of a Karlsson deal. He is soooo cheap.
    I don't want to give two firsts and prospects for Stone. Id rather lose those pick on an offer sheet to someone younger and imo better. I myself don't consider Stone a 1st liner. Not the 1st liner im looking for anyway.

    I made the Miller comparison because the guy is a 20 goal man and doesn't seem to make anyone around him better. Nice player. Just not a difference maker. I don't hate him. I just don't want to give him his next contract moving forward in a "rebuild". Marrying yourself to his next deal and having him as your top player for the future isnt much more different than what this team has done the last 5 years with Stepan, Brassard, Zucc, Kreider, Miller and Nash. Bunch of 2nd line talents who are real nice pieces. Just not good enough to tie the reigns to. Almost. But not. You go for Stone and thats your building block with that next contract. Id rather not. Sorry.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    506
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    If value is not there, we don't do it. However, potential trading partners are teams:
    1) in a win now mode
    2) pressed up against the cap with RFAs or
    3) wanting to add/move pick(s)

    We need to be opportunistic and a little creative and land some actual NHL players once the off season begins in earnest.



    D'Angelo is getting better, you are giving up on him way early. Look at his skills, he manages the puck well, makes precise passes, skates strong with and w/o the puck. He's 21, quick and strong for his size. Who else plays RD next year? OK, you have Shatty (a defensive liability who isn't getting better) cause we can't get value in return. D'Angelo and Hajek are our best D prospects. Pionk is a distant runnerup and pretty questionable. Hajek should start the year in Hartford. Rykov will be playing for SKA. Bigras is a lottery ticket, Day is not here next year, Dunny says never.

    Lucic is selfish, slow and sucks. League minimum 4th liner. I want no part of any salary dump or any consistently underachieving vet, let alone both. We have Staal, Hank and Shatty to provide those things.

    Only reason to take Ryan is because it could be the only way to acquire Mark Stone (+10, PPG on the worst team in the league) at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, fuck Ryan. Stone (25) will command a huge contract which Melnyck will be loathe to pay. He can dump both contracts on us and we can give him the Boston package of picks and prospects or the Tampa picks.



    * JVR is great in front of the net, but will be 29 and probably gets 6 X 6. No
    * Hornqvist will be 32 in Jan and sure to get over 5 mil for too many years. No.
    * Roussel I like as a 4th liner, but would rather Grabner for 3 years at the slightly higher price.
    * Nash for 3 years would be nice, if he doesn't win the cup. Boston already loves him though.
    * Can we do Kovy for 1 year? More scares me. Year to year gentleman's agreement. Prefer Nash or Grabs.

    * We bargain shop and get de Haan, who recovers 100% and doesn't miss a beat.

    * Been watching Jon Moore and he continues to play well, facing opponents top lines. He can skate the puck with authority and passes well. He'll generate interest and cost more than de Haan, but his value to $ could be reasonable. We have a spot for him om the 2nd pair. Wouldn't be surprised if the Devils try to keep him and the Isles the same with de Haan.



    That's exactly the type of thinking mgmt needs. Not so much the offer sheet, cause the comp would be huge, but the Jets will be up against it. They have ridiculous upcoming contracts to Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, among others. It appears they'll have to move someone, Trouba the likely candidate. Minny too. Ottawa, just cause they are cheap and sellers. Though, Stone is the only real target there.



    Besides Chytil and Lias, I wouldn't expect any to be ready except D'Angelo. So scout his every shift the rest of this season. Pionk can be our longshot. Maybe Lettieri or Nieves can push for a 4th line spot. Hajek could make a push sometime next year. Bring him up if ready and we are competing.
    Moore is a second pair guy on the Devils behind Greene and Vatanen. There's nights he handles the puck like a grenade in his own end and while he has some offensive skills more often than not he's going to get knocked off the puck and not win too many bboard battles. He's allergic to the blue paint on defense.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Moore is a second pair guy on the Devils behind Greene and Vatanen. There's nights he handles the puck like a grenade in his own end and while he has some offensive skills more often than not he's going to get knocked off the puck and not win too many bboard battles. He's allergic to the blue paint on defense.
    He's been getting 20 minutes a night. Skates well, moves with authority with the puck and competent defensively. I miss plenty of Devil games, maybe he's been inconsistent? The other night against Nashville he was playing the final important minutes.

    Just lookin to bargain shop a fairly young FA dman. Maybe de Haan is the best option.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,715
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't want to give two firsts and prospects for Stone. Id rather lose those pick on an offer sheet to someone younger and imo better. I myself don't consider Stone a 1st liner. Not the 1st liner im looking for anyway.

    I made the Miller comparison because the guy is a 20 goal man and doesn't seem to make anyone around him better. Nice player. Just not a difference maker. I don't hate him. I just don't want to give him his next contract moving forward in a "rebuild". Marrying yourself to his next deal and having him as your top player for the future isnt much more different than what this team has done the last 5 years with Stepan, Brassard, Zucc, Kreider, Miller and Nash. Bunch of 2nd line talents who are real nice pieces. Just not good enough to tie the reigns to. Almost. But not. You go for Stone and thats your building block with that next contract. Id rather not. Sorry.
    I cant understand how you don't see a ppg, selke candidate, 25 y/o winger as a 1st liner.

    I get your point, and not wanting to tie up 7x7m on a player like Stone is fine, but he IS a legit 1st line winger on any team and he would be our best player if we got him. I think you're underrating him a lot(just like everyone else, not much hype about him).

    And look at that, I bash Miller for 2 seconds and he scores a hattrick. That trade will bite us in the ass when we draft some nobodies and Howden/Hajek becomes middle 6 and bottom pair guys.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    506
    Rep Power
    16
    https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/sta...83139275620354


    Slava Malamud


    @SlavaMalamud
    Follow Follow @SlavaMalamud
    More
    Kovalchuk was on Russian TV today saying he is definitely back in the NHL next season. Wants the Stanley Cup.

    12:25 PM - 16 Mar 2018


    No shot he comes here IF this is true which is fine with me.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 03-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.

  19. #59
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,726
    Rep Power
    268
    Trade him at the deadline.

    Perfect situation for both the team and the player.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  20. #60
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,209
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    I cant understand how you don't see a ppg, selke candidate, 25 y/o winger as a 1st liner.

    I get your point, and not wanting to tie up 7x7m on a player like Stone is fine, but he IS a legit 1st line winger on any team and he would be our best player if we got him. I think you're underrating him a lot(just like everyone else, not much hype about him).

    And look at that, I bash Miller for 2 seconds and he scores a hattrick. That trade will bite us in the ass when we draft some nobodies and Howden/Hajek becomes middle 6 and bottom pair guys.
    His rookie year was his best goal output. He should top that 26 goal mark. I guess im underrating him. Thought his goal totals were lower. Don't know why i thought he never topped 20,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •