• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

As Much As I Would Love a Top-Five Pick...

jamsim67

I like the energy this team is now playing with, and they are more fun to watch. I want to see them take out a visiting Winnipeg and then go into Tampa and surprise the Lightning. If they lose both games I won't lose any sleep, but It's hard for me to get behind them tanking the season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the team is playing with a lot more energy, but they're still not good (enough). Certainly not to go deep in the playoffs.

They averaged 47.7 shots against and had less than 40% of the shot attempts across all three games. With standing-on-head goaltending, that might help them to beat mediocre to bad teams, but it's a recipe for eventual disasater, especially against dominant clubs like Tampa, Winnipeg, etc.

It's definitely fun watching the Rangers again.

From an emotional perspective it's easy to think "only a couple of points off, let's get in the playoffs, see what we can do". Who knows right? As long as you're in it you've got a chance. Teams get hot, Hank could get on a massive roll, the first 3 lines are looking pretty good at the moment and could potentially extend that form into the playoffs.

From a realistic point of view, making the playoffs would in all likelihood be a bad idea in terms of the rebuild. Anything's possible of course, but most likely it would amount to trading our place in the lottery for the privilege of being on the end of a severe beating by Tampa in the first round. That has very little value in the long term.

Still rooting, still watching and enjoying the "entertainment" of it all just a little more. Like already stated, this really isn't in their best interests, but apparently "as a team" they aren't looking towards that so called possible lottery pick. Because that pick might someday replace them. Don't want them to sneak in......get destroyed by TB and giving JT and company a last laugh so to speak on their railroad train to the cup. No, def not.

What was it 3 years ago? I drove to Tampa only to watch them lose game#2 in OT, a horrible drive home in which I KNEW we had more than a fighting chance to win the series. If this re-match indeed happened, I probably won't be making that same drive. Maybe I'm not as good a fan as I thought I was. I'm really disappointed in myself.

Still rooting, still watching and enjoying the "entertainment" of it all just a little more. Like already stated, this really isn't in their best interests, but apparently "as a team" they aren't looking towards that so called possible lottery pick. Because that pick might someday replace them. Don't want them to sneak in......get destroyed by TB and giving JT and company a last laugh so to speak on their railroad train to the cup. No, def not.

What was it 3 years ago? I drove to Tampa only to watch them lose game#2 in OT, a horrible drive home in which I KNEW we had more than a fighting chance to win the series. If this re-match indeed happened, I probably won't be making that same drive. Maybe I'm not as good a fan as I thought I was. I'm really disappointed in myself.

If the Rangers actually get hot and have played well enough to get in, your beliefs will change a bit. Right now you’re “ehh”, IF they make it you’ll ride the wave and be like “fuck yeah !! Fuck Tampa ! “

Well, it's not a big deal if the Rangers finish in 6th or 9th place. Currently, the Rangers stand a 14% chance of a top-3 pick. Even dead-last Arizona only has a 50% chance at the top-3 and Montreal in 6th-last has 23%. It would be nice to tank a bit, but for me it'd be damn hilarious if the Rangers finish above the Islanders after a fire-sale in february.

No matter what, I think the Rangers will trade up in the draft, unless they are drawn in the top-3. They have to. The cupboard is no longer empty and actually has some depth. Now it's all about top talent. Whether they do that from the 5th overall or 9th overall doesn't make that much of a difference, in my opinion.

If the Rangers actually get hot and have played well enough to get in, your beliefs will change a bit. Right now you’re “ehh”, IF they make it you’ll ride the wave and be like “fuck yeah !! Fuck Tampa ! “

Hey Mikey, you may be right about that! So, how is it that you know me so well? LMAO.

Well in order to prevent myself from the thinking that a hot streak might put us in a playoff spot, I looked at our schedule and Florida's. Florida as 10 home games, 9 on the road, and an astounding 8 against teams totally out of playoff races. We have 7 at home, 9 on the road and a total of one against teams not contending for playoff spots. Now, back to more important things like lottery position and keeping the last 16 games from being a Baton Death March of rubber for Hank.

Well in order to prevent myself from the thinking that a hot streak might put us in a playoff spot, I looked at our schedule and Florida's. Florida as 10 home games, 9 on the road, and an astounding 8 against teams totally out of playoff races. We have 7 at home, 9 on the road and a total of one against teams not contending for playoff spots. Now, back to more important things like lottery position and keeping the last 16 games from being a Baton Death March of rubber for Hank.

Without looking at the schedules, this doesn't really matter. There is very little to separate the teams battling for 3rd in divisions and wild cards than the bottom run teams.

Then it does matter if they tank. The farther they are from the top-five, the more costly the attempt to trade into it. Not to mention the stupidity of playing their way out of it only to trade assets they'll need for a rebuild to get back into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sure - but it's not the end of the world. That's my point. It all comes down a lottery or a trade, anyway.

It doesn't need to be "the end of the world". It's needless, is the point. It you're a rebuilding club, sacrificing assets you acquired to replenish your empty cupboards to move up in the draft undoes the good done in acquiring them in the first place. It's entirely backwards logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Z or Z + Bos1st to move up to 3 or 4?

I was thinking about that. Is it enough?

Assuming whoever picks first keeps Dahlin, would Zuc or Zib + a late first round pick be enough for teams like Edmonton or Buffalo to give up Zadina/Svechnikov/Tkachuk?

Look at the Devils schedule. They could realistically go 3-8 in their next 11 and that?s not counting the 3 in a row they lost already.

The only practical way for us to move up is to pick in the top 5 and think that Tkachuk or whoever + a Z + another first is enough to pass on Dahlin.

We got a top 7 pick (Plus a highly rated prospect) for Stepan and a backup goalie.

It's not unrealistic to think a team needing D might drop out of the 2-4/5 spots to 10-12 to grab a defender.

The fan in me wants them to make a run with all these new faces. There's no doubt they're more fun to watch after blowing everything up.

The wannabe-GM in me wants them to get the pick I know they need. They don't need a 5 game series against Tampa. They need a game changing draftee to change this organization. Either way, I guess I'd be happy. I just don't want them finishing one point out of the playoffs in 9th place and having no chance at the lottery. It's literally the worst way to end this mess of a season.

Archived