Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As Much As I Would Love a Top-Five Pick...

Senior Member Midget Division
    id read that to say there have been a few nice writeups on Hajek.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    wash rinse repeat.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers4Life View Post
    No sarcasm at all. Hajek is the 2nd best defenseman in juniors behind Dahlin, what's the need to trade assets to get the number 1 for Dahlin too? It's a deep draft, make the picks. I would only trade to number 1 if it was a centerman.
    Hajek isn't remotely the second best defensemen in junior. He's good, but I wouldn't say he's second best. Dahlín is a generational defensive talent. Hajek is probably a steady second pairing defenseman in the future. There's really no comparing the two at all.

Secondly, Dahlín doesn't play in junior. He plays in the Swedish Elite League against other men where he's been dominant.

Senior Member Squirt Division
    I like (the admittedly little) I’ve seen of Hajek.
    He isn’t in the same stratosphere as Dahlin as a prospect however.

As Much As I Would Love a Top-Five Pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Hajek isn't remotely the second best defensemen in junior. He's good, but I wouldn't say he's second best. Dahlín is a generational defensive talent. Hajek is probably a steady second pairing defenseman in the future. There's really no comparing the two at all.

Secondly, Dahlín doesn't play in junior. He plays in the Swedish Elite League against other men where he's been dominant.
    I meant the WJC, my mistake

I meant the WJC, my mistake
    Don't get me wrong, Hajek was great at the WJC, but it's an incredibly small sample size. Eeli Tolvanen had three goals in 11 WJC games despite being the best goal scoring prospect not in the NHL. It's not always the best way to gauge talent given that it's mostly competition against a very particular set of peers. I say particular in that you're not even always facing the best competition.

Hajek was a nearly 20-year-old defenseman playing alongside two former first-round picks in Chytil, and Necas, and likely another two in Zadina and Kaut. That's not to totally discredit what he did, but to provide context. He definitely benefited from his surroundings. That said, he was actively engaged offensively and didn't look out of place for a guy whose specialty is not moving the puck.

There is zero basis for comparing Hajek and Dahlin. Not to diminish Hajek at all. Dahlin is considered a generational talent at defense. Not only does Hajek matchup with him nobody does not playing in the nhl. Of course these are all projections but that’s the discussion, projections. This is nothing more than overrating our prospects. Again he’s a good prospect but he’s not even a given long time nhler. Dahlin is a guarantee

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    The only things Hajek and Dahlin share in common are position and the fact they're both hockey players. In the same way that a Mack Anthem and Ford F-150 are both trucks.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I had a look at TSN’s mid season draft show the other day.
    They concluded that Dahlin is the best defensive prospect in a draft since Denis Potvin. That might be over cooking it a bit, but he’s quite clearly a very, very rare talent.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Yes but the difference is the odds in moving down? At 6 the worst you can pick is 9 and the chances of dropping 3 spots is almost the same as picking in the top 3 I believe. At 10 you could pick 13. That’s a huge difference in talent 6 compared to 13.

To me it has nothing to do with Dahlin. That would be a huge bonus. To me what is the worst case scenario in where we finish? Finishing 10th could end up being almost the same as qualifying for the playoffs as the 16thteam if the lottery goes wrong. It going wrong has the same odds of it going right
    Yea but its highly unlikely that at 10, 3 of the 5 teams behind you all move up.

Some are missing the point, I'm leery about trading assets to select a potential Erik Karlsson when we already may have a potential McD. I tend to covet elite forwards more, more importantly centermen if we were trading up to the 1 spot. So in my opinion, there's no need to trade up to get the 1st pick. This has nothing to do with overrating our prospects.

Link to the TSN show here for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_pNrT8opg

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Some are missing the point, I'm leery about trading assets to select a potential Erik Karlsson when we already may have a potential McD. I tend to covet elite forwards more, more importantly centermen if we were trading up to the 1 spot. So in my opinion, there's no need to trade up to get the 1st pick. This has nothing to do with overrating our prospects.
    I think most are looking to get into the top 4. 1 might too big of a stretch.

I think our (fans) target seem to be a big bodied winger, expected to go 2, 3 & 4.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

That's where I'd disagree. Dahlín is a talent that absolutely changes your team. I agree that I'd much rather have a dynamic forward than a dynamic defenseman, but in no way is Hajek influencing my decision. Hajek doesn't stop you from getting Dahlín if possible. Nothing short of a severe overpayment should. You don't decline that kind of talent. Hajek has potential to be good but to call him McDonagh is to rate him beyond his actual ceiling. Calling Dahlín Karlsson doesn't remotely describe Dahlín's play. They're not remotely alike aside from being dynamic Swedish defensemen. That is literally it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    That's where I'd disagree. Dahlín is a talent that absolutely changes your team. I agree that I'd much rather have a dynamic forward than a dynamic defenseman, but in no way is Hajek influencing my decision. Hajek doesn't stop you from getting Dahlín if possible. Nothing short of a severe overpayment should. You don't decline that kind of talent. Hajek has potential to be good but to call him McDonagh is to rate him beyond his actual ceiling. Calling Dahlín Karlsson doesn't remotely describe Dahlín's play. They're not remotely alike aside from being dynamic Swedish defensemen. That is literally it.
    I’m not saying he’s completely influencing the decision but having him helps and I just dont’ see Dahlin being worth the amount of assets we will need to get there. If it was Crosby, I would overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Yea but its highly unlikely that at 10, 3 of the 5 teams behind you all move up.
    Kind of like a 2% chance? Isn’t that close to the same odds as moving from 10 to 1. Isn’t that what I said?

They got their Dahlin already in Hajek, there’s no need trade their way to the 1st pick.
    That’s what I was responding too regarding the two. Trading up would only depend on the cost to me. I would gather it would be way more than I want to pay. However Hajek is not Dahlin. Even if by some chance he bacons a star, I’ll still take two

That’s what I was responding too regarding the two. Trading up would only depend on the cost to me. I would gather it would be way more than I want to pay. However Hajek is not Dahlin. Even if by some chance he bacons a star, I’ll still take two
    I should’ve explained it better with my original post.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Kind of like a 2% chance? Isn’t that close to the same odds as moving from 10 to 1. Isn’t that what I said?
    I thought you were comparing get bumped back from 6th vs getting bumped back fro 10th.

At 6 you're about 2.7% chance to drop to 9 versus 7.6 for 1st, 7.8 for 2nd, and 8 for 3rd.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    I see that there could be 6 defenseman picked in the top ten

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast