Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: As Much As I Would Love a Top-Five Pick...

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    I think three defensemen in the top 10 are definite. Dahlín, Boqvist and then Hughes. Bouchard, Wilde, and Dobson maybe right outside.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    I see that there could be 6 defenseman picked in the top ten
    5 in the top 10 seems to be the most common projection:
    Dahlin
    Boqvist
    Bouchard
    Hughes
    Dobson

1 or 2 have Ty Smith in there as well.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Yea - outside of getting extremely lucky or bribing the sweet bejesus out of Bettman, the Rangers were never going to get Dahlin. As far as getting a top-3 pick, you're not in a much different spot at 10th-worst than you are at 6th-worst. It's only a 9% difference.
    Im not entirely sure its impossible the Rangers walk away with the first pick. I'd think the league needs the Rangers to be a drawing card. They would want them to rebuild quickly. Conspiracy theories would say most of these lotteries are fixed to push an agenda and help certain teams/markets. Maybe, just maybe the NHL will bend the rules this one time to advance this rebuild. Dahlin to the Rangers, with Tavares signing a week later.. Rebuild 75% complete.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Im not entirely sure its impossible the Rangers walk away with the first pick. I'd think the league needs the Rangers to be a drawing card. They would want them to rebuild quickly. Conspiracy theories would say most of these lotteries are fixed to push an agenda and help certain teams/markets. Maybe, just maybe the NHL will bend the rules this one time to advance this rebuild. Dahlin to the Rangers, with Tavares signing a week later.. Rebuild 75% complete.
    Sure, except what good is New Jersey getting the pick? Or Edmonton 12 seasons in a row? It's not rigged and the Rangers' chances of landing at the top (or bottom) are slim. I think there's a play to trade into the top 5 but there's no chance they get #1 overall.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure, except what good is New Jersey getting the pick? Or Edmonton 12 seasons in a row? It's not rigged and the Rangers' chances of landing at the top (or bottom) are slim. I think there's a play to trade into the top 5 but there's no chance they get #1 overall.
    NJ needed a franchise player/better than average player. They got one. They are back in the playoff hunt and hes probably out scoring every Ranger.... . Edmonton should be way better than they are. They took a huge step back this year.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks teams are given opportunities to draft higher than they should. Sometimes more than once or twice. What they do with the team from there on out is on them. Pittsburgh was going to move... Crosby, Malkin, Fleury get drafted and a a dynasty is born.

Edmonton i think had problems drawing and were also rumored to be thinking of relocating (that may have been years ago, I may be wrong on the time frame). Hall, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid, should have been enough along with other top 8 or so picks to turn them around.

Its a stretch I admit, but i have a feeling, things are shaping up to maybe push this ahead for the Rangers.

The Rangers don't just give up on the playoffs, sell everything including their captain and best D man, for just anything. There's a big incentive there. Gotta be.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Well the Canadiens are there needing the same and even more in need is Ottawa who have one foot out the door to relocation. The rangers meanwhile have missed the playoffs once in the past decade and sell out every game. So if the fix is in its probably not the rangers.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Teams rumored to be relocating get top picks.
    Teams going bankrupt make the cup finals.

*puts down gas can*
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    NJ needed a franchise player/better than average player. They got one. They are back in the playoff hunt and hes probably out scoring every Ranger.... . Edmonton should be way better than they are. They took a huge step back this year.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks teams are given opportunities to draft higher than they should. Sometimes more than once or twice. What they do with the team from there on out is on them. Pittsburgh was going to move... Crosby, Malkin, Fleury get drafted and a a dynasty is born.

Edmonton i think had problems drawing and were also rumored to be thinking of relocating (that may have been years ago, I may be wrong on the time frame). Hall, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid, should have been enough along with other top 8 or so picks to turn them around.

Its a stretch I admit, but i have a feeling, things are shaping up to maybe push this ahead for the Rangers.

The Rangers don't just give up on the playoffs, sell everything including their captain and best D man, for just anything. There's a big incentive there. Gotta be.
    Of course there's incentive. The incentive is to draft as star player. But it sounds like you're implying that the NHL whispered in their ear to take the fall when in reality the writing has been on the wall here for three seasons. The run was over.

Hopefully they get lucky and slide into the top 3 but like I said, odds are not in their favor. If you suck you pick first. There is no conspiracy.

EDIT: as said above, there are other teams with bigger needs than the Rangers.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Of course there's incentive. The incentive is to draft as star player. But it sounds like you're implying that the NHL whispered in their ear to take the fall when in reality the writing has been on the wall here for three seasons. The run was over.

Hopefully they get lucky and slide into the top 3 but like I said, odds are not in their favor. If you suck you pick first. There is no conspiracy.

EDIT: as said above, there are other teams with bigger needs than the Rangers.
    We'll see. Im assuming a lot.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I haven't seen this much hype over a D man since Noah Hanifin.

He's an NHL All Star.

By the time he's a net positive to your hockey club he'll have one year until pay dirt or leaving and the other two wingers will have 90 goals.

That's my bold prediction.

He's no Richard Matvichuk.

God damn right. Shin pads as big as surf boards. That's a fucking defenceman.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234