Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Hits: Rangers Suddenly Deep at C, but D May Kill Hank

Junior Member ClearedForContact's Avatar

Quick Hits: Rangers Suddenly Deep at C, but D May Kill Hank

Harrowing Hayes

Clearly still reeling from the deep cuts Jeff Gorton made over the week of the trading deadline, Kevin Hayes—now a young veteran of the team, whether he likes it or not—had some candid things to say about the state of his club in the aftermath of the trade deadline.

There’s no denying that Hayes, who has excelled in the role of shutdown center, has been one of the Blueshirts’ most important players this season. On paper, it makes sense for them to keep him. But he’s now one of five key Restricted Free Agents who the Rangers will need to make long-term decisions on. Also in that mix are 26-year-old Ryan Spooner and 25-year-old Vladislav Namestnikov – both of whom also play center.

swamped Midget Division
    I remember after the Stepan trade (when we supposedly had centers to spare) the issue was the lack of a true no. 1 center. We still don't have a true no. 1 center - instead a bunch of no. 2 and no. 3 centers. So our lineup is going to seem muddled until we take care of that issue, finding a top flight center option to build the team around.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Midget Division
    What would it take to get a guy like Nylander/Marner/Draisatl? Could we even afford it?

Drai for Zib, Buch+?

//reported Junior Division
    I don’t think TOR is parting with Nylander or Marner. EDM would be foolish to part with Draisaitl, but they have the Chiarelli factor, so maybe.
    They also need D more than offense, though I guess they really need both. Not sure what we’d have to give, but yeah Zib, Buch, + is prob a good start. And you just hope one of Namestnikov, Spooner, Andersson, or Chytil is available for your second line C position.

Could probably get a little creative and take back the Lucic contract if it’d be any incentive to pry Draisaitl away.
    LGR!

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    With EDM retaining 50%? I'm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    What would it take to get a guy like Nylander/Marner/Draisatl? Could we even afford it?

Drai for Zib, Buch+?
    Starts with Skjei.

That's more feasible now than it was at the beginning of the year, but I'm not totally convinced its practical.

For me, the #1 important thing is a true #1C. Giving up Skjei, zib+ for Drai is a no brainer for me.

Get the #1C then go from there.

For me, the #1 important thing is a true #1C. Giving up Skjei, zib+ for Drai is a no brainer for me.

Get the #1C then go from there.

Borrow from Peter to pay Paul? Now, when you're done hyperventilating, look at your defense and tell me how you didn't just assemble the Edmonton Oilers East.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Skjei and one of Buch/Spooner/Vesey/Namestnikov and a first for Draisaitl and I would not be too upset, I don’t think.
    I’d like to keep Zibanejad for our second line.
    LGR!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Cant trade Skjei, now.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    Skjei and one of Buch/Spooner/Vesey/Namestnikov and a first for Draisaitl and I would not be too upset, I don’t think.
    I’d like to keep Zibanejad for our second line.
    See my last post. Consider it an open-ended question for anyone who thinks this is a good idea.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

McDavid has a point on 34 of Draisaitl's 60. No way I'm giving up Skjei and a first rounder alone for a guy making $8+ a year who may or may not be productive without McD

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Borrow from Peter to pay Paul? Now, when you're done hyperventilating, look at your defense and tell me how you didn't just assemble the Edmonton Oilers East.
    This entire team is a total mess. To build it up again you do it the simple way, most important thing first. Skjei, Zib, Zuc, 3rd for Drai, Lucic (50%), then u draft a couple of D-men with the latest 1sts. Then we got three 1st round D-prospect. Look for someone in UFA (especially next year). Our own early 1st we draft one of the wingers (depending on the pick).

(Drafted wing) - Drai - Vlad
    Kreids - Chytil - Buch

Thats a talented top 6, compliment with Hayes, Spooner, Lias, Howden, Fast, Lucic.

The D will take some time to get right, but already after next season some of the prospects could be NHL ready and there are a lot of good FA D-men the next two years.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    McDavid has a point on 34 of Draisaitl's 60. No way I'm giving up Skjei and a first rounder alone for a guy making $8+ a year who may or may not be productive without McD
    Did you watch them in the playoffs last year? Draisaitl had 16 points McDavid had 9. I don't think Draisaitl is dependent on McDavid to score. They play on the same line they're gonna both be involved in most plays.

This entire team is a total mess. To build it up again you do it the simple way, most important thing first. Skjei, Zib, Zuc, 3rd for Drai, Lucic (50%), then u draft a couple of D-men with the latest 1sts. Then we got three 1st round D-prospect. Look for someone in UFA (especially next year). Our own early 1st we draft one of the wingers (depending on the pick).

(Drafted wing) - Drai - Vlad
    Kreids - Chytil - Buch

Thats a talented top 6, compliment with Hayes, Spooner, Lias, Howden, Fast, Lucic.

The D will take some time to get right, but already after next season some of the prospects could be NHL ready and there are a lot of good FA D-men the next two years.

This thoroughly fails to answer my question.

How have you not assembled Edmonton Oilers East?

Also, you're aware defensive prospects, on average, take about two years longer to develop and reach the NHL than forwards, right? Whatever defensive prospects you're drafting this summer may not even make the team, let alone make an impact on it, for 2-4 years from then.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Who cares about making them the Edmonton Oilers East?
    No one was complaining about trading McD and Miller to TBL to make them the Tampa Bay Rangers, right?

Good point about the D though. I also imagine that Klefbom might be their Skjei, and he also plays the left side. Without knowing too much about who they play with who, I wonder if Skjei moves the needle as much as someone like Zibanejad or Buchnevich. That's all speculation though.

The point is I think Draisaitl makes this team better immediately and in the future, more so than Skjei will (more speculation, lol).
    LGR!

That's not what I mean by being Edmonton East. I'm talking about having a top loaded forward group with absolutely nothing to work with on the blue line.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Did you watch them in the playoffs last year? Draisaitl had 16 points McDavid had 9. I don't think Draisaitl is dependent on McDavid to score. They play on the same line they're gonna both be involved in most plays.
    Draisaitl was not nearly impactful as that 16 points suggests. 9 of them came in two games. That inconsistency is exactly why I'd be concerned about handing him the #1C role. They play on the same line because Draisaitl hasn't been able to carry the second line as a center.

It's the same as Nylander, Marner, Barzal. Do they have the talent to be a #1C, probably. But none of them have been an impactful #1C consistently and all are benefiting from playing behind an elite #1C or on a wing with one. Take away Matthews and Tavares, and who's to say that they aren't all Dylan Larkin.
    Last edited by Future; 03-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    After not scoring in the first four games, he had points in 7 of the final 9.

I think he plays on the first line because his game works with McDavid far better than RNH or Strome. Maybe next year they'll be able to put the big body of Puljujarvi on McDavid's line allowing them to move Leon, but I don't doubt Leon's ability to play without McDavid.

If we look at the small sample size from when McDavid was hurt in his rookie year, Leon had 9 goals and 21 assists for 30 points in 37 games, he was 20 at the time.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This thoroughly fails to answer my question.

How have you not assembled Edmonton Oilers East?

Also, you're aware defensive prospects, on average, take about two years longer to develop and reach the NHL than forwards, right? Whatever defensive prospects you're drafting this summer may not even make the team, let alone make an impact on it, for 2-4 years from then.
    Regardless of development time, there is a much larger pool of players that can be NHL defensemen than true no. 1 centers. No. 1 centers are valuable assets that you can build around, while you can find players to do an adequate job in the defensive end.

Since we've seen this squad give up 50+ shots a game lately, and show a lot of problems in the defensive zone, I understand that our poor defensemen play is a sore subject, which needs to be addressed. But our lack of a true no. 1 center is a problem that manifests throughout our four forward lines. Solving the defensemen as well as the centerman issue aren't mutually exclusive - they should both be addressed, and both can be during the same time period.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast