• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quick Hits: Rangers Suddenly Deep at C, but D May Kill Hank

Harrowing Hayes

Clearly still reeling from the deep cuts Jeff Gorton made over the week of the trading deadline, Kevin Hayes—now a young veteran of the team, whether he likes it or not—had some candid things to say about the state of his club in the aftermath of the trade deadline.

There’s no denying that Hayes, who has excelled in the role of shutdown center, has been one of the Blueshirts’ most important players this season. On paper, it makes sense for them to keep him. But he’s now one of five key Restricted Free Agents who the Rangers will need to make long-term decisions on. Also in that mix are 26-year-old Ryan Spooner and 25-year-old Vladislav Namestnikov – both of whom also play center.

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/TomUrtzJr/status/969762198968037376

With Mika Zibanejad still under contract for another four years and assuming the Rangers will walk away from Unrestricted Free Agent David Desharnais, the Rangers center depth—wholly deficient prior to the deadline—now might actually be too deep. Especially if the Blueshirts intend to give Lias Andersson and/or Filip Chytil an honest opportunity to make next year’s roster out of training camp. It’s a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless. One that might require more cuts at the draft this June.

If I were a betting man, one of Hayes or Spooner—who has six assists in his first three games as a Ranger—stands a significant chance of being turned into future assets as the Rangers continue to remake themselves. Buckle up, folks – the ride’s not over yet.

Come at the King, You Best Not Miss

Henrik Lundqvist, who celebrated his 36th birthday by beating the Calgary Flames on Friday, is the first Rangers goalie to win a game with 50+ saves since Mike Richter (53 in 1996). Moreover, Lundqvist set his own career-high in saves in a win (50) when the Rangers topped the Canucks 6-5 in overtime on Wednesday night, and tied it again against Calgary two nights later. For the mathematically inclined among us, that’s 100 saves in two games. That’s impressive for the King, but speaks volumes about the Rangers and their inability to defend.

The team has won consecutive games for the first time since beating the Flames and Winnipeg Jets back on February 9th and 11th respectively. But 106 shots against in two games isn’t exactly a sustainable pace if they expect to keep winning.

Czech Out Hajek

So, Libor Hajek—the defensive prospect acquired by New York as part of the Ryan McDonagh trade—was interviewed for the first time by John Gianonne between periods against the Flames on Friday night. When asked if there’s a player he compares himself to, the 20-year-old Czech picked an interesting name – Czech defense royalty himself, Tomas Kaberle.

Jeff Gorton was said to be adamant about Hajek’s inclusion in the trade. If his development can bring him into the same stratosphere that Kaberle carved out for himself, the Rangers won’t be missing Ryan McDonagh much longer.

giphy.gif

Other topics in this week’s Quick Hits: Ryan Lindgren is already a PR success, Kovalchuk to Kings?, Ryan Spooner is scorching hot, and more.

Read more

I remember after the Stepan trade (when we supposedly had centers to spare) the issue was the lack of a true no. 1 center. We still don't have a true no. 1 center - instead a bunch of no. 2 and no. 3 centers. So our lineup is going to seem muddled until we take care of that issue, finding a top flight center option to build the team around.

I don?t think TOR is parting with Nylander or Marner. EDM would be foolish to part with Draisaitl, but they have the Chiarelli factor, so maybe.

They also need D more than offense, though I guess they really need both. Not sure what we?d have to give, but yeah Zib, Buch, + is prob a good start. And you just hope one of Namestnikov, Spooner, Andersson, or Chytil is available for your second line C position.

Could probably get a little creative and take back the Lucic contract if it?d be any incentive to pry Draisaitl away.

What would it take to get a guy like Nylander/Marner/Draisatl? Could we even afford it?

Drai for Zib, Buch+?

Starts with Skjei.

That's more feasible now than it was at the beginning of the year, but I'm not totally convinced its practical.

For me, the #1 important thing is a true #1C. Giving up Skjei, zib+ for Drai is a no brainer for me.

Get the #1C then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Borrow from Peter to pay Paul? Now, when you're done hyperventilating, look at your defense and tell me how you didn't just assemble the Edmonton Oilers East.

Skjei and one of Buch/Spooner/Vesey/Namestnikov and a first for Draisaitl and I would not be too upset, I don’t think.

I’d like to keep Zibanejad for our second line.

See my last post. Consider it an open-ended question for anyone who thinks this is a good idea.

Borrow from Peter to pay Paul? Now, when you're done hyperventilating, look at your defense and tell me how you didn't just assemble the Edmonton Oilers East.

This entire team is a total mess. To build it up again you do it the simple way, most important thing first. Skjei, Zib, Zuc, 3rd for Drai, Lucic (50%), then u draft a couple of D-men with the latest 1sts. Then we got three 1st round D-prospect. Look for someone in UFA (especially next year). Our own early 1st we draft one of the wingers (depending on the pick).

(Drafted wing) - Drai - Vlad

Kreids - Chytil - Buch

Thats a talented top 6, compliment with Hayes, Spooner, Lias, Howden, Fast, Lucic.

The D will take some time to get right, but already after next season some of the prospects could be NHL ready and there are a lot of good FA D-men the next two years.

McDavid has a point on 34 of Draisaitl's 60. No way I'm giving up Skjei and a first rounder alone for a guy making $8+ a year who may or may not be productive without McD

Did you watch them in the playoffs last year? Draisaitl had 16 points McDavid had 9. I don't think Draisaitl is dependent on McDavid to score. They play on the same line they're gonna both be involved in most plays.

This entire team is a total mess. To build it up again you do it the simple way, most important thing first. Skjei, Zib, Zuc, 3rd for Drai, Lucic (50%), then u draft a couple of D-men with the latest 1sts. Then we got three 1st round D-prospect. Look for someone in UFA (especially next year). Our own early 1st we draft one of the wingers (depending on the pick).

(Drafted wing) - Drai - Vlad

Kreids - Chytil - Buch

Thats a talented top 6, compliment with Hayes, Spooner, Lias, Howden, Fast, Lucic.

The D will take some time to get right, but already after next season some of the prospects could be NHL ready and there are a lot of good FA D-men the next two years.

This thoroughly fails to answer my question.

How have you not assembled Edmonton Oilers East?

Also, you're aware defensive prospects, on average, take about two years longer to develop and reach the NHL than forwards, right? Whatever defensive prospects you're drafting this summer may not even make the team, let alone make an impact on it, for 2-4 years from then.

Who cares about making them the Edmonton Oilers East?

No one was complaining about trading McD and Miller to TBL to make them the Tampa Bay Rangers, right?

Good point about the D though. I also imagine that Klefbom might be their Skjei, and he also plays the left side. Without knowing too much about who they play with who, I wonder if Skjei moves the needle as much as someone like Zibanejad or Buchnevich. That's all speculation though.

The point is I think Draisaitl makes this team better immediately and in the future, more so than Skjei will (more speculation, lol).

Did you watch them in the playoffs last year? Draisaitl had 16 points McDavid had 9. I don't think Draisaitl is dependent on McDavid to score. They play on the same line they're gonna both be involved in most plays.

Draisaitl was not nearly impactful as that 16 points suggests. 9 of them came in two games. That inconsistency is exactly why I'd be concerned about handing him the #1C role. They play on the same line because Draisaitl hasn't been able to carry the second line as a center.

It's the same as Nylander, Marner, Barzal. Do they have the talent to be a #1C, probably. But none of them have been an impactful #1C consistently and all are benefiting from playing behind an elite #1C or on a wing with one. Take away Matthews and Tavares, and who's to say that they aren't all Dylan Larkin.

After not scoring in the first four games, he had points in 7 of the final 9.

I think he plays on the first line because his game works with McDavid far better than RNH or Strome. Maybe next year they'll be able to put the big body of Puljujarvi on McDavid's line allowing them to move Leon, but I don't doubt Leon's ability to play without McDavid.

If we look at the small sample size from when McDavid was hurt in his rookie year, Leon had 9 goals and 21 assists for 30 points in 37 games, he was 20 at the time.

This thoroughly fails to answer my question.

How have you not assembled Edmonton Oilers East?

Also, you're aware defensive prospects, on average, take about two years longer to develop and reach the NHL than forwards, right? Whatever defensive prospects you're drafting this summer may not even make the team, let alone make an impact on it, for 2-4 years from then.

Regardless of development time, there is a much larger pool of players that can be NHL defensemen than true no. 1 centers. No. 1 centers are valuable assets that you can build around, while you can find players to do an adequate job in the defensive end.

Since we've seen this squad give up 50+ shots a game lately, and show a lot of problems in the defensive zone, I understand that our poor defensemen play is a sore subject, which needs to be addressed. But our lack of a true no. 1 center is a problem that manifests throughout our four forward lines. Solving the defensemen as well as the centerman issue aren't mutually exclusive - they should both be addressed, and both can be during the same time period.

So Hedman instead of Tavares and they are?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nope. But prime Duncan Keith and they are probably a bubble squad, because there'd be a significant improvement in shot suppression from a player playing nearly half the game every night.

Archived