• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tavares is a Fool if he Signs with the Islanders

Sod16

Read this article in Newsday

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/belmont-park-islanders-arena-meetings-1.16975210

Public meetings for NIMBYs still to be done followed by 12-16 months of environmental studies followed by 28 months of building the thing. And, in case you didn't know, environmental studies NEVER take longer than they are supposed to and never result in further delays when they mandate that plans for a project be tweaked or sewer rats to be accommodated. Of course, once they break ground, be assured that major construction projects in New York are NEVER delayed.

Getting into the new arena in the fourth year of his contract would be the BEST case scenario. Easily could be fifth, by which time he will have blown out his knee on the PVC piped slush in Brooklyn.

Hey, JT, you don't need this nonsense. There's another team you could sign with and your kids wouldn't even have to switch nursery schools...

Seriously, guy, what good is winning a cup if the parade is on Hempstead Turnpike?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see him coming to the Rangers. Even if the rebuild is quicker than we think it might be, he probably sees greener pastures out west. St. Louis, San Jos?, etc.

This reminds me a little of when Parise went to UFA and everyone wanted him to come here.

Not many places that he would WANT to go, can afford him. I think the Rangers have a HUGE chance at signing him. I'm going grom here on thinking, that that's plan A.. Plan B has yet to be determined. Plan C is go full fledged rebuild for another year.

Regardless of what Tavares wants, I think we'd be the fools if we gave him a bunch of money. As much as I was down to try and sign him earlier in the year, full rebuild mode changes things. While on one hand I agree with Mikey in that ownership will want to field a competitive team next year, one more bad year of selling wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. As long as we draft well that is.

With the timing of our rebuild be have the opportunity to duplicate Crosby/Malkin, lottery permitting. Any team that drafts in the top 5 this year and lands Jack Hughes next year is going to be in real good shape for a long time going forward...

The wager is simple ....

Part 1: Tavares leaves the Isles, you pay for golf. He stays, I pay.

Part 2: IF he signs with the Rangers, I get a case of golf balls to go with the free round.

So far I have 2 takers:

Lefty aaaaand .... I forgot ! Shit.

The wager is simple ....

Part 1: Tavares leaves the Isles, you pay for golf. He stays, I pay.

Part 2: IF he signs with the Rangers, I get a case of golf balls to go with the free round.

So far I have 2 takers:

Lefty aaaaand .... I forgot ! Shit.

thats right dont forget me ,fuck dunny

The split arena situation is a joke. That's untenable. Bettman should let them play at the renovated dump and be done with it. As a Brooklyn native and resident find it disgusting that even with the crappy sight lines and the truck behind the goal the whiny morons that run this team didn't embrace this. It's on top of a subway and LIRR transit hub, surrounded by a mess of good bars and restaurants. So instead they will now play half the games at a ugly renovated dump for a few years surrounded by highways with no mass transit, followed by some time in the future moving to another sterile boring cookie cutter arena surrounded by highways and barely any mass transit. How does anyone sign up for that?

But doesn't follow he signs with NYR. Where Snow fell down was not exploring Tavares to TML for Nylander, Marner and more stuff. Looks like the most obvious place for him. Unless the NHL allows TML the Penguin-type of inexplicable cap bending nonenforcement of salary rules to keep such a team together. As an aside, how does Mr. Cost Certainty allow VGK to pick up a huge chunk of Brassard's salary for nothing of value?

Rangers are not getting rid of Shattenkirk. Not today, not tomorrow. You don't build confidence in a franchise by alienating players who take a discount to be with you. Simply as that.

They will push hard for the playoffs next year. The rebuild on the fly is still the plan A, but they're comfortable falling short. This doesn't mean buying at an inflated price or giving up assets to go all in, that's an entirely different strategy.

Nearly all the prospects acquired by the Rangers are "near pro ready". Couple that with a decent enough offense and a good starting pieces on defense in Skjei and Shatty and you've got the framework for a franchise that could make waves in the playoffs.

I'm not sure there's another spot that fits Tavares as is that's as attractive as NYR. TML have the assets to flip, but that's one hell of a gamble and a vote of non confidence in a young roster that has shown potential.

Do I think Tavares is a lock? Not by a long shot. But he's more of a lock to sign than Shattenkirk is to be traded.

Vegas odds would probably place us as the 2nd most likely spot for him to sign and for good reason.

Shattenkirk will not be traded. He has a NMC and the Rangers are not about to poison their reputation with players around the league by seeking to move a guy a year after he gave them a major home town discount.

As for Tavares, he's currently in a three way tie for 16th in scoring, playing for a more offensively oriented team than most. Worth a big contract? Yes. McDavid type numbers. No. I can easily see him as a good but not fantastic player in five years, worth about $5m a year and being paid $11m, maybe by the Islandeers.

Archived