Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavares is a Fool if he Signs with the Islanders

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Shattenkirk will not be traded. He has a NMC and the Rangers are not about to poison their reputation with players around the league by seeking to move a guy a year after he gave them a major home town discount.

As for Tavares, he's currently in a three way tie for 16th in scoring, playing for a more offensively oriented team than most. Worth a big contract? Yes. McDavid type numbers. No. I can easily see him as a good but not fantastic player in five years, worth about $5m a year and being paid $11m, maybe by the Islandeers.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don't buy the whole "alienating players" idea.

They sent a player they just signed to the AHL and are keeping him there while the likes of Pionk and Gilmour play.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

They sent a player they just signed to the AHL and are keeping him there while the likes of Pionk and Gilmour play.
    The BSBH Legend is back?!?!? or is this an imposter?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    The BSBH Legend is back?!?!? or is this an imposter?
    Donít feed his ego. Itís already planet sized

Deleted Midget Division

I'm not sure Smith is a marquee UFA nor did he ever take a discount to be here. Moreover, they gave him nearly a year to figure this out despite not having either of those qualities.

I stand by what I said tbh.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    I'm not sure Smith is a marquee UFA nor did he ever take a discount to be here. Moreover, they gave him nearly a year to figure this out despite not having either of those qualities.

It's hard to say whether it influences other FAs or not but it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't consider that when signing. It would be the same if the Rangers traded Vesey or Hayes in just a year or two. College FAs would see that and think about it before signing in NY.

Whether there's a tangible consequence to burying a first-year signee is doubtful. But it's a bad optic, regardless.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect

That would be a good point had everyone around the league not been privy to his performance this year.

But, if they plan on sucking for the foreseeable future they could simply make Shattenkirk aware of that and ask what he'd like to do.

Most free agents have high enough opinions of their own abilities that they wouldn't worry about flopping and being sent to the minors. I am more concerned that the Stepan and McDonagh trades promote a perception that this team will tend to get rid of a 27 year old player if he is due for a pricey contract extension or has a no trade clause becoming effective.

Hayes is far enough away from his initial signing that collegians will probably not look at anything that happens to him hereinafter as particularly relevant, but a poor experience here for Vesey might have some impact on their thinking.

I'll be curious to see the Smith that shows up at camp. Will he come in highly motivated, in great shape with something to prove, or will whatever personal or personality issues lead to what we saw last September linger. I would caution regarding a rush to judgment in this regard. If he seems changed for the better the first two weeks, many will declare that there is a New Inspiring Brendan Smith, while if he's guilty of a couple of turnovers in an preseason game, others will declare him unredeemable.
    Last edited by Sod16; 03-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That would be a good point had everyone around the league not been privy to his performance this year.

But, if they plan on sucking for the foreseeable future they could simply make Shattenkirk aware of that and ask what he'd like to do.
    I think that's the only way you can realistically go about it. You dont want to push away top end talent who'd be willing to stick through this.

HNIC BSBH Legend

OK, well go back and look at the marquee free agents we've signed here over the past few years, and then look at the players who ask to come here (Nash/MSL/Shatty).

Drury: buyout
    Gomez: Traded
    Shanahan: Run off the team by Renney
    Redden: Bought out
    Richards: Bought out

Who am I forgetting?

I actually don't care if UFA's come here. I'd rather not be a destination for players on the back 9 of their careers. That might be the only way to build this team properly, scare "marquee" players ~30 away.

New York will never have trouble attracting players, IMO.

Deleted Midget Division
    OK, well go back and look at the marquee free agents we've signed here over the past few years, and then look at the players who ask to come here (Nash/MSL/Shatty).

Drury: buyout
    Gomez: Traded
    Shanahan: Run off the team by Renney
    Redden: Bought out
    Richards: Bought out

Who am I forgetting?

I actually don't care if UFA's come here. I'd rather not be a destination for players on the back 9 of their careers. That might be the only way to build this team properly, scare "marquee" players ~30 away.

New York will never have trouble attracting players, IMO.
    Drury - became captain and played for us for several years until his body deteriorated. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Gomez - played for us for 2 years until being traded. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Redden - Played for us for 2 years until being burried. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Richards - Played with us for several years. Fought in many playoff wars. Nearly won a cup with us. Was signed to a market contract which *may* be considered a hometown discount. Was near the end of his career and was (likely) promised a post-hockey career with the organization.

Nobody forgotten. None of them are a 1 year contract prime age player who played injured for you most of the season on a below market value contract at a hometown discount. All of them had opportunities to sink, swim or hang themselves. Shattenkirk hasn't even been given that, has been a good soldier, took less at UFA to play with you, and you trade him?

The fact you can't see it being different seems like you're Pete'ing to Pete for Pete's sake.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Drury - became captain and played for us for several years until his body deteriorated. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Gomez - played for us for 2 years until being traded. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Redden - Played for us for 2 years until being burried. Was signed to a massive contract that nobody would call a (hometown) discount.
    Richards - Played with us for several years. Fought in many playoff wars. Nearly won a cup with us. Was signed to a market contract which *may* be considered a hometown discount. Was near the end of his career and was (likely) promised a post-hockey career with the organization.
    And they all ended bought out or traded. So why can't we trade Shattenkirk?

Nobody forgotten. None of them are a 1 year contract prime age player who played injured for you most of the season on a below market value contract at a hometown discount. All of them had opportunities to sink, swim or hang themselves. Shattenkirk hasn't even been given that, has been a good soldier, took less at UFA to play with you, and you trade him?
    #1 is that he's not very good, and #2 is that maybe he doesn't want to wait 2-3 years for the team to be competitive?

BTW, those are just 2 reasons to explore trading him. I'm not suggesting he has to be traded. I'm simply saying that trading his doesn't scare anyone away. We trade, buy out and waive UFA players all the time. They still keep coming.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Shattenkirk will be given every chance to stay here. If his play doesn’t improve he will untradeable anyway. Regardless I don’t think any player is going to hold it against the rangers if he continues to suck and they move on from him.

It is common knowledge amongst players and anybody who cares to pay attention to the players that the rangers treat their players top notch. The rangers are constantly referred to as a first class organization. That is not a misquote from every former player who’s played here. Playing time and other factors can always come into play but the rangers will never be accused of mistreating their players. If anything they may get accused of pampering them.

Deleted Midget Division
    And they all ended bought out or traded. So why can't we trade Shattenkirk?

#1 is that he's not very good, and #2 is that maybe he doesn't want to wait 2-3 years for the team to be competitive?

BTW, those are just 2 reasons to explore trading him. I'm not suggesting he has to be traded. I'm simply saying that trading his doesn't scare anyone away. We trade, buy out and waive UFA players all the time. They still keep coming.
    Reading comprehension.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Reading comprehension.
    Can you elaborate?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Honestly, what is JT expected to get on this next contract? I’ve had this discussion with friends and we can’t out a number on it? 10 million? 12 million? What’s reasonable per year for JT?

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    10,5x7 years with full NMC the first 5 years is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    10,5x7 years with full NMC the first 5 years is my guess.
    I say go for it. He fits perfectly with a quick rebuild and the needs of the Rangers. Where else are we gonna find a true 1C to lead the rebuilt Rangers?

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I don't see it happening but it would be great it Tavares leads Snow into thinking there is no worry about him resigning with the Islanders, and then come July 1st he thanks Snow for wasting his career by never getting him the necessary parts to help him and then signs with us as a fuck you to Garth Snow, thus, signing Snow's pink slip.

JT is a superstar who has perennially finished in the top ten in scoring. Oh wait a minute, he has finished in the top 10... once (2014-15). Maybe he's undeniably a star player but not worth something close to what McDavid is being paid. And what the heck will will he be in the last three (or maybe last five) years of a ten year contract? I'll be curious to see how overheated the market gets if he goes UFA. I'll also be interested to see if the Islanders award him with a McDavid contract in a desperate effort to maintain credibility as a franchise and end up with a player who, however good, lacks real superstar status. Both healthy, I'd take Karlsson over JT in a flash.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast