Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tavares is a Fool if he Signs with the Islanders

Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    JT is a superstar who has perennially finished in the top ten in scoring. Oh wait a minute, he has finished in the top 10... once (2014-15). Maybe he's undeniably a star player but not worth something close to what McDavid is being paid. And what the heck will will he be in the last three (or maybe last five) years of a ten year contract? I'll be curious to see how overheated the market gets if he goes UFA. I'll also be interested to see if the Islanders award him with a McDavid contract in a desperate effort to maintain credibility as a franchise and end up with a player who, however good, lacks real superstar status. Both healthy, I'd take Karlsson over JT in a flash.
    He's averaged almost a ppg on a shitty team over the last 4 seasons, ofcourse he is a superstar. He's undeniably a top 10 center, you could argue he is a top 5 aswell.

JT over any D-man, easily.

Senior Member Mite Division LarryBiv's Avatar
    In answer to the OP, he would be a bigger fool to sign with the Rangers. And vice versa. Just sign with any of his hometown Canada teams (probably Canadians) and call it a career.
    When Ralph Kiner wanted a raise, Branch Rickey said; "no, son......we could've finished in last place without you".
    Kind of relevant here. If the Rangers go ahead and overpay for Taveras, does that really help the rebuild? Or, would it be a promotions move while NOT really going full throttle with the original plan? He would instantly bring us back to mediocrity, with an aging goalie and a horrible defense. Is that really that much different from where he is leaving? Stay away John, for the good of both parties.
    Simply put......you don't put the new roof on, until you have laid the groundwork and the 4 solid walls.
    You add the roof (John or the likes) AFTER the team is pretty much constructed. Imo.

It would be very different than when we added Nasher. At least Nasher was being brought into an "already PO bound team and was supposed to be the missing piece", Taveras wouldn't be that. Just saying.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Honestly, what is JT expected to get on this next contract? Iíve had this discussion with friends and we canít out a number on it? 10 million? 12 million? Whatís reasonable per year for JT?
    Before this year I would have thought that, if he wanted term, it was going to be $9.5-10. But with his production this year, he's going to get up around 12. 8x$12, something like that.

Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryBiv View Post
    In answer to the OP, he would be a bigger fool to sign with the Rangers. And vice versa. Just sign with any of his hometown Canada teams (probably Canadians) and call it a career.
    When Ralph Kiner wanted a raise, Branch Rickey said; "no, son......we could've finished in last place without you".
    Kind of relevant here. If the Rangers go ahead and overpay for Taveras, does that really help the rebuild? Or, would it be a promotions move while NOT really going full throttle with the original plan? He would instantly bring us back to mediocrity, with an aging goalie and a horrible defense. Is that really that much different from where he is leaving? Stay away John, for the good of both parties.
    Simply put......you don't put the new roof on, until you have laid the groundwork and the 4 solid walls.
    You add the roof (John or the likes) AFTER the team is pretty much constructed. Imo.
    It would be very different than when we added Nasher. At least Nasher was being brought into an "already PO bound team and was supposed to be the missing piece", Taveras wouldn't be that. Just saying.
    Or you could put it the other way. You get the most important piece (groundwork in a house, a legit #1C on a hockey team) first, and then get the rest along the way.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    He's not worth 12/year. I don't see many teams with the ability to pay 12/year even if they want to. What team has both the space and the finances to do this?

10/year for 8 years is probably insane, too, but I would go that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    He's not worth 12/year. I don't see many teams with the ability to pay 12/year even if they want to. What team has both the space and the finances to do this?

10/year for 8 years is probably insane, too, but I would go that high.
    Almost any team can make space, especially if the cap goes up to $80m. I don't think he's worth it, but someone will. He'll a 28 year old PPG center. With things as they are right now, there are only 3 teams in the league who couldn't afford $12m next year at an $80m cap (LAK, Tampa, PIT). That doesn't mean it's realistic for 28 teams to make a pitch, but there will be a lot of teams who can give the money.

Sure, but 2/3 of the teams make no sense at all.

He's not going to:

Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, Columbus, Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona, Vegas, Buffalo, Calgary

There's another few that he's almost certainly not going to:

Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver

What does that leave?

NYR
    NJD
    NYI
    Leafs
    Blues
    Sharks
    Avs

I'm missing a couple somewhere, but I like those odds for the NYR.

Sure, but 2/3 of the teams make no sense at all.

He's not going to:

Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, Columbus, Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona, Vegas, Buffalo, Calgary

There's another few that he's almost certainly not going to:

Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver

What does that leave?

NYR
    NJD
    NYI
    Leafs
    Blues
    Sharks
    Avs

I'm missing a couple somewhere, but I like those odds for the NYR.
    Why are you ruling out some of these teams? I think the smartest place for him to go is Dallas, and I don't see why he wouldn't. I think Boston, Detroit and Vegas also make a ton of sense. Who knows how he feels about living in specific places like Carolina, Buffalo or Columbus, but it seems like you're kind of arbitrarily eliminating teams.

Just in the case of Dallas, given an $80m cap, they can take on a $12m salary next year and give Seguin $11m the following year without having to do much (I don't think any) maneuvering at all, and a Spezza buyout saves you $5m. They'd be a bit top heavy, but that wins in this league. However you split them, Seguin-Benn-Tavares-Radulov gives you the best top-6 in the league and I don't think it's even close.

But even still, the 7 teams you have listed is plenty to start a bidding war.
    Last edited by Future; 03-13-2018 at 12:35 PM.

They aren't putting 23 million in to two centers as well as paying Jamie Benn and Radulov. He's not going to Dallas. That would leave them with nothing on the blueline.

I stand by the teams I noted. Unless he really doesn't give a fuck about winning, or the teams are interested in a 10 million dollar 2C.

They aren't putting 23 million in to two centers as well as paying Jamie Benn and Radulov. He's not going to Dallas. That would leave them with nothing on the blueline.

I stand by the teams I noted. Unless he really doesn't give a fuck about winning, or the teams are interested in a 10 million dollar 2C.
    Klingberg is signed long term and Heiskanen is coming...but besides Dallas, there's no real rationale in who you're saying isn't an option. Why Colorado but not Detroit? Why St Louis but not Nashville? Why NJD but not Boston? Why not Vegas or CGY?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Well Detroit and Boston have cap issues. Boston also has a 1 and 2C. Calgary is another place with an arena issue, Monahan the beast, and also way da fuke in the Tundra. Would you go there?

Dunny may have missed a team or two, and maybe Dallas or someone unexpected goes balls out for JT. That said, the choices are still probably in the single digits versus 26 teams. Still a bidding war and the odds are too long to modify a plan around JT coming here. If he was 2 years younger and he didn't need max years, I'd consider, but that's not reality.

Colorado has an issue because Nate is the beast among beasts and isn't moving to the wing or 2nd line. Secondly, though they can afford it, they are trying to work a salary structure throughout the team, which is why they traded O'Reilly. JT will require an overbid and blow up their structure.

I mean we can nitpick all day, but I'll just say that I think a team having another #1C is a reason why JT would go somewhere, not a reason why he wouldn't. Teams like Detroit and Boston have to dump, essentially, one piece (Zetterberg, Krejci) and JT fits easy. The cap going up $5m next year gives most teams enough flexibility if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I mean we can nitpick all day, but I'll just say that I think a team having another #1C is a reason why JT would go somewhere, not a reason why he wouldn't. Teams like Detroit and Boston have to dump, essentially, one piece (Zetterberg, Krejci) and JT fits easy. The cap going up $5m next year gives most teams enough flexibility if they want.
    Not meaning to nitpick, I'm just trying to get a realistic idea about which teams (and how many) may be interested and which destinations make sense. The best way to do this is to consider, roster construction, Cap space and teams that have center needs and any other mitigating circumstances. Many are also trying to anticipate his cap cost and term. Just discussion. Honestly, I don't think about Tavares as a Ranger, or don't allow myself the indulgence.

Tavares is a weird dude, too, so I'm loathe to make a prediction but I think you can objectively consider the Rangers a front runner if he's not sold on remaining with the Islanders and assuming the Rangers FO wants to go that direction.

I watched the TSN program on the Ranger/Flyer/Lindros fiasco last night and Neil Smith just says it, he didn't even really want in on it but when you're the Rangers you're in on it whether you like it or not.

I'm also on board with Mikey's assertion that this franchise isn't just going to sit on their hands in this rebuild and write the year off.

Banned Midget Division
    we should have a poll for rep to see where he signs. I say he stays with piles

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I'm also on board with Mikey's assertion that this franchise isn't just going to sit on their hands in this rebuild and write the year off.
    From a very close source, they’re not going to sit on their hands. They will try to make this a playoff team next season, and if things go as planned (Idk what that consists of), they will be a contender.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Senior Member Junior Division
    They can want whatever, but unless they hit the jackpot with Dahlin the defense is still going to be bottom 5 next season. At best they may sneak in if one of Andersson or Chytil have a big rookie season

HNIC BSBH Legend
    They can fix the D with some UFA signings.

Which scares me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast